Re: Polk: The Man Who Transformed the Presidency

  • Ken S
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 16, 2008
      Sorry for taking so long to reply Travis. I thought Slavemaster
      President was a very interesting read, although I didn't think that
      the author fairly assessed Polk's behaviour within the context of the
      times he lived in. I wrote a review of it in messages #26 and 29 in
      this group if you're interested in more detail. I also read Phil
      Klein's bio of James Buchanan. He's a fascinating historical study,
      it's difficult to assess whether he was an incompetent who accelerated
      civil war, an unfortunate who tried in vain to avoid it, or, as his
      worst critics accuse him of, an outright traitor to the union. I have
      another book by Buchanan entitled "Mr. Buchanan's Administration on
      the Eve of Rebellion" in which Buchanan himself attempts to explain
      what happened, but I haven't read it yet.

      I haven't read much about Madison, but after watching the HBO series
      on John Adams recently, the Presidents of that era have generated new
      interest for me. That's the nice thing about being a presidential
      history junkie, there's never a shortage of interesting books to read.

      -KDS

      --- In James_K_Polk_Appreciation@yahoogroups.com, "Travis Thompson"
      <travis62@...> wrote:

      > Ken:
      > Thanks again for your review/analysis of the Borneman Polk bio.
      I will
      > certainly offer my own thoughts once I have read it. Speaking of
      Polk bios
      > - and forgive me if I asked this question a year or more ago - but
      have you
      > also read the Seigenthaler bio on Polk and/or Dussenbere's "Slaveholder
      > President"? These two are the most recent Polk bios I have read.
      > I would really enjoy sharing more discussions regarding our
      comparable
      > reading lists. I read the Nichols bio on Pierce and wholeheartedly
      > recommend it, provided you are willing to make allowances for Mr.
      Nichols
      > slightly wooden writing style!
      > By the way, what are your thoughts on two other James' - Messers.
      > Madison and Buchanan?
      > Regards,
      > Travis
      >
      > _____

      Transformed the
> [...]
      >
      > I got a chance to finish the book on the flight home from Toronto. It
      > was a tad slow in the middle, though to be fair, the acquisition of
      > Oregon can be a bit dry. I enjoyed Borneman's recounting of the
      > Mexican War, and especially gained an appreciation of the difficulty
      > of wartime communication at a time when the telegraph was new
      > technology. The description of the dysfunction in both parties in the
      > election of 1848 was also interesting as well as the dynamics of how
      > the third party affected the election. I found his description of the
      > Polk's trip home as informative, and his epilogue about Sarah Polk was
      > well written.
      >
      > If I have one criticism of the book it would be that the author seemed
      > to lose objectivity about Polk as the book went on. While I accept
      > that Polk was, for the most part a very principled man, he was not
      > without his faults. Yet every time Polk was involved in some sort of
      > interpersonal conflict, the author seemed to minimize Polk's part and
      > seemed to magnify the wrongs of the other party. Having said that, it
      > probably a correct historical assessment that Gideon Pillow was
      > egotistical and lacked the capacity for honest self-appraisal (he
      > sounds a lot like George B. McClellan in this regard) and it may be
      > that John C. Fremont was a self-centered and pompous insubordinate.
      > But it would have been interesting if Borneman had given more of the
      > Tim Russert treatment to Polk, especially on the subject of the
      > Mexican War and his prosecution of it.
      >
      > The author's description of Polk's relationship with his generals,
      > especially Zachary Taylor and Winfield Scott, was fascinating reading.
      >
      > The other thing about the book was that I felt that it never quite
      > captured the spirit of Polk's workaholism or his micro-managing even
      > though it made such an obvious contribution to Polk's poor health at
      > the end of his term.
      >
      > On the whole I thought this was a terrific read, and I loved
      > Borneman's sense of objectivity, his economic use of his own opinion
      > and viewpoint, the quality of his research and his healthy skepticism
      > when it came to describing some of the more legendary aspects of
      > Polk's life. I'd rate it about an 8.5 out of 10 and would recommend it
      > to any one with an interest in US history.
      >
      > It sounds like you're a prolific reader, and I'd love to hear your
      > impressions of this book when you get a chance to read it, as well as
      > about anything else you've been reading. I'm not sure what I'll tackle
      > next, right now it's between The Teapot Dome Scandal by Layton
      > McCartney, Brands' bio of Andrew Jackson (it's been sitting on my
      > bookshelf for a long time demanding attenion) or Roy Nichol's bio of
      > Franklin Pierce. There are also some more contemporary writings (not
      > the least of which is Scott McClellan's kiss-and-tell book) that are
      > attracting my attention.
      >
      > I hope my impressions of the Polk book are of some help.

      <mailto:James_K_Polk_Appreciation%40yahoogroups.com>
      > Appreciation@yahoogroups.com, "Travis Thompson"
      > <travis62@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Ken:
      > > Well you have really whet my appetite into tasting this book! I
      > ordered
      > > it as soon as it was released, and it is sitting on my bookshelf,
      > however, I
      > > have been so preoccupied (more specifically, absorbed) lately with
      James
      > > Madison, that our estimbable Mr. Polk has taken a seat in the
      > bleachers of
      > > my study these days. Nonetheless, I am determined to begin the
      Polk bio