Birthday of an Enigma

  • Evelyn Radecke
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2007
      This is the second year in which I think of Mr. Polk's birthday on
      All Soul's Day, as the 2nd of November is called over here in
      Bavaria, the mainly Catholic country where I live. I reckon that I'll
      hardly ever forget to think of him on this day, and I will always do
      so with gratitude.

      Meeting Mr. Polk and studying his story taught me valuable lessons
      galore.

      The most valuable, as I repeat it to myself, is perhaps:

      "Be very cautious in judging people, as you cannot know anyone's
      heart. You may even find it most difficult to learn enough of
      anyone's story, so as to find a way of doing all possible justice to
      a person. Foremost be very cautious to condemn anyone without the
      most careful examination, and be on your guard against iniquities
      brought on by personal affinity. As you found a full set of excuses
      for the accusations against your beloved Mr. Polk, you must concede
      that such excuses were also found for people that you accuse while
      others love them."

      And indeed, this admonition to seek excuses for anyone's annoying
      features for the sake of equity has had a considerable impact on my
      life. It's become a good deal more peaceful and much less troublesome
      than before. Quite an amazingly satisfying result of studies to know
      a man who fought a war.

      Mr. Polk is still an enigma. As if it wouldn't matter if the image of
      a man is a set of complete riddles or a set of unprovable conflicting
      theories to the beholder. Everyone is such an enigma, however. It's
      just often forgotten. A good deal of our conjectures regarding the
      motives of people work quite well, so we are not always aware that we
      were just guessing.