What to read next

  • rlaporte15
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 13, 2011
      Does anyone have suggestions as to what to read after finishing the Leatherstocking tales? The only other Cooper novel I've read is The Spy. I want to continue reading C. and don't want to choose something that might bog me down or otherwise discourage me.

      Another way of saying this I guess, is 'are there any titles I should save til later?'

      I don't have any sense of which of his works are considered his best beyond the Natty tales. Can anyone offer me his/her opinion on that topic?

      I've spent a lot of my spare time is recent years reading much of Anthony Trollope's work. I haven't finished all 47 novels yet--I think I have seven to go--but I think it's time for a new author, and so far I've enjoyed JFC.

      Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

      Bob
    • Steven
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 13, 2011
        Great question, Bob. Here are some that I think are "a cut above" (simply listed in chronological order rather than by any kind of ranking):

        The Spy
        The Red Rover
        The Wept of Wish-ton-wish
        The Water-Witch
        The Bravo
        The Two Admirals
        The Wing-and-Wing
        Wyandotte
        Afloat and Ashore (but it's very long...)
        Satanstoe
        The Crater
        Jack Tier
        The Sea Lions

        I'm half inclined to include The Pilot because of its significance, but Cooper's subsequent sea novels strike me as better overall. And I find many of the novels I haven't listed compelling, even if they're maybe not quite as good artistically.

        Do let us know what you choose next--and happy reading!

        Steve

        --- In JamesFenimoreCooper@yahoogroups.com, "rlaporte15" <rlaporte15@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone have suggestions as to what to read after finishing the Leatherstocking tales? The only other Cooper novel I've read is The Spy. I want to continue reading C. and don't want to choose something that might bog me down or otherwise discourage me.
        >
        > Another way of saying this I guess, is 'are there any titles I should save til later?'
        >
        > I don't have any sense of which of his works are considered his best beyond the Natty tales. Can anyone offer me his/her opinion on that topic?
        >
        > I've spent a lot of my spare time is recent years reading much of Anthony Trollope's work. I haven't finished all 47 novels yet--I think I have seven to go--but I think it's time for a new author, and so far I've enjoyed JFC.
        >
        > Any thoughts would be most appreciated.
        >
        > Bob

      • James Fenimore Cooper Society
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 13, 2011
          You might find useful "The Cooper Bookshelf", on the Cooper Society website at
          http://external.oneonta.edu/cooper/journal.html
          This includes very brief summaries of the plots (without "giving away" the conclusions) of each of Cooper's 32 novels, as well as of his handful of short stories, and his nonfiction works, with brief notes on their background and significance. It was a series I published about a decade ago in the Cooperstown "Freeman's Journal"
          In addition, the series includes -- in the same format -- most of the movies made from Cooper novels, and also the works of his daughter Susan Fenimore Cooper.
          For new Cooper readers I'd also suggest looking at the brief "pamphlet" "Reading Cooper For Pleasure" at
          http://external.oneonta.edu/cooper/introduction/reading.html

          If you have any other questions that I might help with, let me know.

          Hugh MacDougall, Corresponding Secretary
          James Fenimore Cooper Society
          8 Lake Street
          Cooperstown, NY 13326
          jfcooper@...
          http://external.oneonta.edu/cooper
          "Reading Cooper For Pleasure" at
          http://external.oneonta.edu/cooper/introduction/reading.html

        • Mark R. Harris
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 13, 2011
            One of the first Cooper novels that I read, rather at random, was
            "Wyandotte," and I was not disappointed by it. I found it a dark, serious,
            and impressive novel.

            Mark R. Harris

            --
            Mark R. Harris
            BCM Language Center

          • Mark & Deb Finnegan
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 14, 2011
              I say read Sanstoe. It is some of Coopers best writing and shows his sense of humor. Afloat and Ashore and Miles Wallingford are also great adventure stories. The Two Admirals is also a favorite of mine. I have also been reading Trollope's Barcester series. You should check out Tobias Smollett's works. I think he had a big influence on Cooper's style.
              Mark Finnegan

            • Mark R. Harris
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 14, 2011
                And while you're adding authors, a healthy dose of Sir Walter Scott would
                also be in order!

                Mark R. Harris

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 19, 2011
                  I neglected to comment on your mentioning reading The Barchester series, Mark F. I started reading Trollope with the Barchester books and they drew me in enough to read another 35 of his novels. Barchester and the Pallisers, being six-novel series, create a complex world that seemingly goes on almost forever. I thoroughly enjoyed the multiyear jourey into Trollope's world.

                  I still have quite a way to go in the Leatherstocking series so won't be starting any other Cooper books for a while, but I appreciate your suggestions. I recently purchased a set of C's novels and was pleased to see in your response and the others that came in that there's a lot more good reading in the set after Leatherstocking.

                  Bob