eroor msg without line number

  • Eur van Andel
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 17, 2004
      Hi Javier

      I've encountered a weird error msg which was hard to repair, because there was
      no line number involved:

      >C:\MYDOCU~1\FIWIHEX\_WATER~1\KLEIBULT>c:\bat\jal.bat test_end.jal jal 0.4.60 (GCC 3.2)
      > error: expected 'end' but found ''

      I could re-create the error in a small program:

      >var byte x
      >
      >forever loop
      >
      > for 2 loop
      > assembler
      > rrf x, f
      > end assembler
      >
      >end loop

      It is obvious where the error is. But in a large program ... :-(

      1Help 2Unwrap 3 4Hex 5 6 7Search 8Viewer 9 10Quit

      --
      Ir. E.E. van Andel, Fine Wire Heat Exchangers, Fiwihex B.V. www.fiwihex.com
      Wierdensestraat 74, NL-7604 BK Almelo, The Netherlands eur@...
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 17, 2004

        var byte x

        forever loop

          for 2 loop
             assembler
                rrf x, f
             end assembler

        end loop

        It is obvious where the error is.
        Yes for the designer of this program ;-)
        But logical speaking,
        I (and thus the compiler) can find 4 places where a valid "end loop" is possible !!
        Even Delphi isn't able to find the correct line in these cases,
        so I wish you luck Javi (and the free advise not to put any time in it ;-)

        Stef

      • Javier Martínez
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 17, 2004
          Hi Eur,

          OK. I'll try to correct it.

          --
          Regards,
          Javi.

          On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 12:58, Eur van Andel wrote:
          > Hi Javier
          >
          > I've encountered a weird error msg which was hard to repair, because
          > there was
          > no line number involved:
          >
          > >C:\MYDOCU~1\FIWIHEX\_WATER~1\KLEIBULT>c:\bat\jal.bat test_end.jal jal
          > 0.4.60 (GCC 3.2)
          > > error: expected 'end' but found ''
          >
          > I could re-create the error in a small program:
          >
          > >var byte x
          > >
          > >forever loop
          > >
          > > for 2 loop
          > > assembler
          > > rrf x, f
          > > end assembler
          > >
          > >end loop
          >
          > It is obvious where the error is. But in a large program ... :-(

          *
        • Javier Martínez
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 17, 2004
            Hi Stef,

            It's a dream, but the compiler could say :

            -- error: "if" without "end if"

            -- error: "for" without "end loop"

            ... better than ...

            On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 15:17, Stef Mientki wrote:

            > > > var byte x
            > > >
            > > > forever loop
            > > >
            > > > for 2 loop
            > > > assembler
            > > > rrf x, f
            > > > end assembler
            > > >
            > > > end loop
            > > >
            > > It is obvious where the error is.
            > Yes for the designer of this program ;-)
            > But logical speaking,
            > I (and thus the compiler) can find 4 places where a valid "end loop"
            > is possible !!
            > Even Delphi isn't able to find the correct line in these cases,
            > so I wish you luck Javi (and the free advise not to put any time in it
            > ;-)
            >
            > Stef
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            > click here

            > Service.
            *
          • Stef Mientki
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 17, 2004
              Javier Martínez wrote:

              >Hi Stef,
              >
              > It's a dream,

              Why, if you use a higher language, it should be quiet possible.
              Even with a very old technic like finite state machine, this error
              cann't happen.

              > but the compiler could say :
              >
              > -- error: "if" without "end if"
              >
              > -- error: "for" without "end loop"
              >
              > ... better than ...

              Agreed, but it cann't give the expected line number.

              (btw, did everything went well with your brother, is he planning to bike
              again soon ;-)

              Stef
            • Eur van Andel
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 17, 2004
                On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 17:17:13 +0200, Stef Mientki <s.mientki@...>
                wrote:

                >>>var byte x
                >>>
                >>>forever loop
                >>>
                >>> for 2 loop
                >>> assembler
                >>> rrf x, f
                >>> end assembler
                >>>
                >>>end loop
                >>>

                >>It is obvious where the error is.
                >>
                >Yes for the designer of this program ;-)
                >But logical speaking,
                >I (and thus the compiler) can find 4 places where a valid "end loop" is
                >possible !!
                >Even Delphi isn't able to find the correct line in these cases,
                >so I wish you luck Javi (and the free advise not to put any time in it ;-)

                I'm completely happy if the compiler complains at the LAST line. In my huge
                program it was near the end of the main prog, but I had no clue WHERE it was,
                and even worse: it did not even tell me in WHICH file :-(

                You know how many includes JAL programs have, and these includes include too.

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 17, 2004
                  >I'm completely happy if the compiler complains at the LAST line. In my huge
                  >program it was near the end of the main prog, but I had no clue WHERE it was,
                  >and even worse: it did not even tell me in WHICH file :-(

                  That brings me to an interesting question:
                  is it possible to set the start of a loop in one file and the end of the
                  loop in an included file ?

                  Stef
                • Stef Mientki
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 17, 2004
                    hi Javi,

                    > Yes everything is ok, now is at home. He must have during 3 weeks
                    >"four legs", and then go to work again.

                    Oh, then he can ride 2 bikes ;-)

                    > ... and yes again, he's still thinking in bykes. Do you want a byke? I
                    >can offer one to you (hope that my brother is not reading us). :)

                    No thanks,
                    here in Holland everyone has already more then 1 bike (statistical
                    speaking),
                    We start biking at the age of 2, so it's almost as natural as walking.
                    Maybe a recumbent bike is something for your brother, then he cann't
                    fall so deep ;-)
                    http://www.easystreetrecumbents.com/

                    sleep well,
                    Stef
                  • Javier Martínez
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 17, 2004
                      Hi Stef,

                      > (btw, did everything went well with your brother, is he planning to
                      > bike
                      > again soon ;-)

                      Yes everything is ok, now is at home. He must have during 3 weeks
                      "four legs", and then go to work again.

                      ... and yes again, he's still thinking in bykes. Do you want a byke? I
                      can offer one to you (hope that my brother is not reading us). :)

                      * --
                      Regards,
                      Javi.
                      www.japus.org
                    • japus10
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 17, 2004
                        Hi Stef,

                        > No thanks,
                        > here in Holland everyone has already more then 1 bike (statistical
                        > speaking),
                        > We start biking at the age of 2, so it's almost as natural as
                        walking.
                        > Maybe a recumbent bike is something for your brother, then he
                        cann't
                        > fall so deep ;-)
                        > http://www.easystreetrecumbents.com/

                        When you're caught by the gasoline bug, the meaning of "byke"
                        change to something like this:

                        http://www.geocities.com/baja/trails/2945/Grafico4.jpeg
                        http://www.geocities.com/baja/trails/2945/079.jpg

                        (Pingüinos 2004)

                        Regards,
                        Javi.
                        www.japus.org
                      • Wouter van Ooijen
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 17, 2004
                          > That brings me to an interesting question:
                          > is it possible to set the start of a loop in one file and the
                          > end of the
                          > loop in an included file ?

                          yes

                          including is pure textual

                          you could have the 'if' in one file, the condition, then and body in
                          another, 'end' in the next and the closing 'if' in yet another.

                          Wouter van Ooijen

                          Van Ooijen Technische Informatica: www.voti.nl
                          consultancy, development, PICmicro products