Jal's noisy output, and cygwin consoles...

  • westfw
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 12, 2003
    • westfw
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 12, 2003
        --- In Jal_developers@yahoogroups.com, "westfw" <westfw@m...> wrote:

        Oops. in comparing the mac to PC JAL compiler output, I noticed that
        my PC was compiling VERY slow using the image built under cygwin. the
        distributed binary was much faster. I eventually figured out that the
        cygwin "console" output is just ... slow. Jal Compile speed went up
        about TWENTY TIMES just using the -mno-cygwin during the build. I guess
        you're using minGW which should be somewhat similar to -mno-cygwin?

        Does anyone have a quick explanation why cygwin console io emulation is
        so slow? I understand that there's unix emulation in there and it's
        dealing with stdio rather than a simple console, but 1/20 speed is
        still pretty pathetic!

        meanwhile, back to Jal, the reason for the BIG impact seems to be that
        the normal state of a Jal compile prints out that nice
        Parsing <file> line <nnn>\r
        message FOR EACH TOKEN. Is that considered a feature or a bug? (one
        message per line would seem more reasonable for a default, but perhaps
        y'all have a reason for the verbosity...

        Thanks
        Bill W
      • japus10
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 13, 2003
          > the normal state of a Jal compile prints out that nice
          > Parsing <file> line <nnn>\r
          > message FOR EACH TOKEN. Is that considered a feature or a bug?
          (one
          > message per line would seem more reasonable for a default, but
          perhaps
          > y'all have a reason for the verbosity...

          Take it as a feature, this exists before jal was released GPL.

          Regards,
          Javi.
          www.japus.org
        • japus10