Re: [Jal_developers] Jalv2

  • Eur van Andel
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 25, 2007
      On 24 Feb 2007, at Sat24-14:10, Mark Gross wrote:

      > I'm just starting to play with Jalv2, and the first thing I've noticed
      > is that the URL for the source in almost all of the documentation
      > out on
      > the net point to a dead link.
      >
      > Once I got the source the next thing I found was that here is not
      > autoconif script, and there is no make install.
      >
      > There is also no top level documentation stating where the jal
      > include /
      > library files should go. I'm assuming there is a default search path
      > for this as in the Jalv0.62 from source forge.

      Jal V2 was a coup d'etat by some people. I have never installed it
      and never ran it. I rely on some weird JAL features ( like raw
      interrupts) that do not work in JAL v2.

      Yes, there should be a nice windoze JAL environment with editors and
      USB programmers support. I don't know if JAL v2 is that.

      I use 4.60 every day on a large variety of OS's (FreeBSD, OS X, DOS,
      XP) and I'm quite happy with it.

      > Further I've found that the code is not portable to 64 bit systems. I
      > had to fix up a few printf's that where casting a pointer to an
      > unsigned
      > that wouldn't compile cleanly.
      >
      > It would be cool if there was a proper community project for Jalv2, I
      > think a lot more development on it would happen if there was.
      >
      > I'm still just getting started so I expect that there will be more
      > tidbits of things that could be fixed up.
      >
      > Has this topic of setting up a community development side for Jalv2
      > been
      > discussed yet?
      Talk to Stef Mientki. He probably knows.

      > Thanks,
      >
      > --mgross

      Eur van Andel, eur@...
    • WilliamChops Westfield
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 25, 2007
        >> It would be cool if there was a proper community project for Jalv2, I
        >> think a lot more development on it would happen if there was.

        IIRC, there was never much development that happened on the JALv1
        sourceforge project (or, never much productive development? Seemed
        like a lot of churn in format/etc without much real gain?) That
        was part of the reason that JALv2 came about...

        It's nice to think that by opening up a project in the "real" open
        source community, you'll wind up with lots of helpers. But it
        doesn't seem to be particularly true.

        BillW
      • Mark Gross
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 25, 2007
          On Sun, Feb 25, 2007 at 03:14:06PM -0800, William Chops Westfield wrote:

          > >> It would be cool if there was a proper community project for Jalv2, I
          > >> think a lot more development on it would happen if there was.
          > >>
          > IIRC, there was never much development that happened on the JALv1
          > sourceforge project (or, never much productive development? Seemed
          > like a lot of churn in format/etc without much real gain?) That
          > was part of the reason that JALv2 came about...
          >
          > It's nice to think that by opening up a project in the "real" open
          > source community, you'll wind up with lots of helpers. But it
          > doesn't seem to be particularly true.

          Jalv0.4.xx has it hay day a few years ago. Since then its development
          has stagnated. In a sense it became "mature" in so much as it worked
          well enough for the folks involved at the time.

          --mgross