Jalv2

  • Mark Gross
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 24, 2007
      I'm just starting to play with Jalv2, and the first thing I've noticed
      is that the URL for the source in almost all of the documentation out on
      the net point to a dead link.

      Once I got the source the next thing I found was that here is not
      autoconif script, and there is no make install.

      There is also no top level documentation stating where the jal include /
      library files should go. I'm assuming there is a default search path
      for this as in the Jalv0.62 from source forge.

      Further I've found that the code is not portable to 64 bit systems. I
      had to fix up a few printf's that where casting a pointer to an unsigned
      that wouldn't compile cleanly.

      It would be cool if there was a proper community project for Jalv2, I
      think a lot more development on it would happen if there was.

      I'm still just getting started so I expect that there will be more
      tidbits of things that could be fixed up.

      Has this topic of setting up a community development side for Jalv2 been
      discussed yet?

      Thanks,

      --mgross
    • Eur van Andel
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 25, 2007
        On 24 Feb 2007, at Sat24-14:10, Mark Gross wrote:

        > I'm just starting to play with Jalv2, and the first thing I've noticed
        > is that the URL for the source in almost all of the documentation
        > out on
        > the net point to a dead link.
        >
        > Once I got the source the next thing I found was that here is not
        > autoconif script, and there is no make install.
        >
        > There is also no top level documentation stating where the jal
        > include /
        > library files should go. I'm assuming there is a default search path
        > for this as in the Jalv0.62 from source forge.

        Jal V2 was a coup d'etat by some people. I have never installed it
        and never ran it. I rely on some weird JAL features ( like raw
        interrupts) that do not work in JAL v2.

        Yes, there should be a nice windoze JAL environment with editors and
        USB programmers support. I don't know if JAL v2 is that.

        I use 4.60 every day on a large variety of OS's (FreeBSD, OS X, DOS,
        XP) and I'm quite happy with it.

        > Further I've found that the code is not portable to 64 bit systems. I
        > had to fix up a few printf's that where casting a pointer to an
        > unsigned
        > that wouldn't compile cleanly.
        >
        > It would be cool if there was a proper community project for Jalv2, I
        > think a lot more development on it would happen if there was.
        >
        > I'm still just getting started so I expect that there will be more
        > tidbits of things that could be fixed up.
        >
        > Has this topic of setting up a community development side for Jalv2
        > been
        > discussed yet?
        Talk to Stef Mientki. He probably knows.

        > Thanks,
        >
        > --mgross

        Eur van Andel, eur@...
      • WilliamChops Westfield
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 25, 2007
          >> It would be cool if there was a proper community project for Jalv2, I
          >> think a lot more development on it would happen if there was.

          IIRC, there was never much development that happened on the JALv1
          sourceforge project (or, never much productive development? Seemed
          like a lot of churn in format/etc without much real gain?) That
          was part of the reason that JALv2 came about...

          It's nice to think that by opening up a project in the "real" open
          source community, you'll wind up with lots of helpers. But it
          doesn't seem to be particularly true.

          BillW
        • Mark Gross
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 25, 2007
            On Sun, Feb 25, 2007 at 03:14:06PM -0800, William Chops Westfield wrote:

            > >> It would be cool if there was a proper community project for Jalv2, I
            > >> think a lot more development on it would happen if there was.
            > >>
            > IIRC, there was never much development that happened on the JALv1
            > sourceforge project (or, never much productive development? Seemed
            > like a lot of churn in format/etc without much real gain?) That
            > was part of the reason that JALv2 came about...
            >
            > It's nice to think that by opening up a project in the "real" open
            > source community, you'll wind up with lots of helpers. But it
            > doesn't seem to be particularly true.

            Jalv0.4.xx has it hay day a few years ago. Since then its development
            has stagnated. In a sense it became "mature" in so much as it worked
            well enough for the folks involved at the time.

            --mgross