Quotes for adding features to JAL

  • Massimo Banzi
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 8, 2004
      Dear Jalians

      I'm putting together a project proposal for my school where I would
      include
      paying money to somebody to add features to JAL

      I'm looking at adding a 16 bit word type, byte arrarys and strings
      (mostly static string , no string operations)

      the targets would be 16f877 and 18f252 mostly

      I would like to get a personal email (from those of you who are
      interested) with a
      very rough estimate of how much it will take in terms of time and money
      to add these features.

      At the moment I dont have a budget yet, the management has asked me to
      get a quote
      so be warned that I might not get the money but if it goes through all
      the development
      will end up being GPL and available for everybody.

      ok give me your ideas and keep finger crossed

      massimo
    • Stef Mientki
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 9, 2004
        Massimo Banzi wrote:

        >Dear Jalians
        >
        >I'm putting together a project proposal for my school where I would
        >include
        >paying money to somebody to add features to JAL

        hi Massimo,
        I like the idea very much.
        But as Wouter says, it's not cheap, and therefor economical very hard to
        achieve.
        (btw, before I forget, or you don't read until the end ;-) where is
        your FAQ ??

        >I'm looking at adding a 16 bit word type, byte arrarys and strings
        >(mostly static string , no string operations)

        Another idea would be some kind of pre-processing.
        This might both be easier to implement (and therefor cheaper) and
        it would also be more transparent and understandable without knowing the
        core JAL-compiler.

        What I mean by the latter, take a look at JRTL.JAL,
        it's an extension (although it seems to have roots in the compiler itself),
        that anyone of us understands and could have written,
        without knowing anything about the compiler-core.
        Wouldn't it be nice if we had such a feature ;-)

        Another way of adding preprocessing, is through macros,
        but I don't think this is a good way for educational applications.
        (at the end of this message I've given a few examples of my macros)

        Another idea would be to find some students,
        who would extend JAL as part of there study.

        I'm curious about others opinion,
        And very curious to the possibilities of JRTL-like extensions,
        I'ld like to see some new developement, otherwise I'm afraid JAL is
        dying :-(
        Stef

        ======= macro examples ==========
        X and Y are 24 bits integer (16, 32 also available) (should be done in
        higher banks ?)
        <mac> Byte3_Assign X = Y
        byte3_SHL (2) ; Y = 4*T
        byte3_ADD ; Y = 4*T + X = 5*T
        byte3_SRR (3) ; Y = 5*T/8 (so temperature in 0.1 degrees)
        string
        <mac> LCD_write_line 1,"HV-EF (c)ID-SPON"
        <mac> LCD_write_line 2,"Search Temps ..."
        bytearray (is done in higher banks)
        -- Usage(through pseudo vars):
        array1_index = 0
        array1 = 23 ; array1 [ 0 ] = 23 (and array1_index = 1)
        array1 = 56 ; array1 [ 1 ] = 56 (and array1_index = 2)

        array1_index = 5
        x = array1 ; x = array1 [ 5 ] (and array1_index = 6)