Jackson website update notice

  • Jane
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 15, 2011
      Message
      Hi to all Jackson kinfolk and researchers!

      The Jackson website has been updated again as of April 15th.   The database now has 24,425 persons and the site has had 63,633 visitors.  A link to the Additions and Changes Page is in the Table of Contents on the Index Page.

      I have decided that I have entirely too many irons in the fire to tend them properly and so will be cutting back some activities.  The first cut will be this update email notice; so I expect this to be the last I send out.  I will try to put future update notices on the JacksonResearch yahoo group.  So if you are interested in knowing when the site has been updated, request an invitation to that group if you are not already a member.  This will make better use of that group and will save me a lot of time.  Keeping track of the distribution list has become more than I want to do.  Please forgive if you've received more than one copy of this emailthe addresses are blind copies so you can't see this distribution list but it has become more than I can manage.

      Since I expect this to be the last update notice by email, I will also send this to many folks who are in my address book but who have not specifically asked to be put on the mailing list.  So this is their chance to know to join the JacksonResearch yahoo group if they want to actively participate.  I hope this group will be for all of you to inquire about your Jackson research - it's not just for me to use!  So let's see if we can generate some more activity there!

      I did update the site March 23 but didn't send any notice out.  And since then more editing and additions have been made and were uploaded today.   None of the recent edits have been large, major additions but many small additions and edits, sometimes giving more info or a better source.

      Speaking of sources, I am aware that my source list needs a house cleaning!  I decided to print it out so I could verify each URL was still good and it printed 81 pages!  Needless to say, I didn't get around to checking all those URLs.  So if you find a citation that no longer works or is not good for any reason, please let me know.  Like broken links, I'll fix them if and when I know of a problem.   I had a software problem last month and somehow (?!) lost 8 persons from the data base.  I have not been able to figure out who was lost, but they were individuals added during the last two months.  I've never had a software problem like this before.

      I have thoroughly enjoyed writing these update emails and thinking of you as part of my family.  But this grandma is getting tired.  Not tired enough to quit!  I love this too much to quit but I'm looking to make things a bit easier.  I'm working to source the material better and hoping to gradually upload the database to
      http://www.WeRelate.org so that when you have new info you can add it to the collaborative record there.   But I'm expecting the Jackson site to remain for a long time because when Jerry Gross is ready for it, he will take it over and maintain it.  The way it appears may change as he puts his own stamp on it, but the database will still be intact.  And hopefully you'll continue to contribute to it.

      If you would be willing to help with uploading this Jackson database to WeRelate, please let me know.  That is not a one-time upload (!) and must be done in small segments.  A lot more can be added to the family history of each person if you so desire.  Think what all is on wikipedia and imagine that for a genealogy site.

      So please keep your emails coming!  You are my family/community and I love hearing from you.  I plan to keep on keeping on for a long time yet.  Don't miss the new thank you notice on the index page.

      Happy hunting!
      Janie
      http://www.jacksonfamilygenealogy.com

    • ifs@hiwaay.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 18, 2011
        Janie,

        Thanks for all you have done over the years.

        Woody Williams

      • Paula Sisson
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 20, 2011
          Janie,

          You have been so steadfast for so long.  Thank you for the hours and hours of time.

          I would like to be invited to join the Yahoo Jackson Research Group.

          Thank you again,

          Paula

          PJ Creations