Jackson Update Letter

  • imjaniejac@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 10, 2010
      Hi to all Jackson kinfolk and researchers!

      The Jackson website has been updated again.  Not only has it been updated and uploaded but I finally uploaded the whole database to rootsweb this evening.  I did not upload sources or notes, hoping that folks interested in those would visit the website.  That's sort of tentative; I may change my mind and put sources and notes there too.  The only thing I noticed was that I show 11 generations on my web site and rootsweb limited my chart to 10 generations.  With that limitation and the elimination of the living folks, the number of folks showing is 19,490 out of 24,069 in my data base.

      Now there are a few Jacksons in the chart who are NOT descended from Robert of Hempstead.  These were Jacksons I felt I needed to keep track of just so I wouldn't get them mixed up.  Off hand the ones that come quickest to mind are the descendants of Samuel Jackson and Rachel Doty of Hempstead, the desc of Henry A. Jackson and Mary Blakeney of SC, the desc of Peter Hoff Jackson of Pennsylvania and the desc of a Jesse Jackson Tennessee to Texas.  There may be more.  (We really need some desc of Peter Hoff Jackson to have DNA testing done.  And BTW, it is possible his name should be Peter Haff Jackson.)

      I spent a lot of time trying to sort out about 8 to 10 different Townsend Jacksons living in Queens, NY, during 1850-1880 and am not real comfortable with it yet.  If anyone has a special interest in researching Hempstead records in that time period, this study could use your help!  All I've been using is early census records.

      Please check out the Additions and Changes page for anything of interest.  I'd appreciate your letting me know of any additional changes or corrections.

      Janie

    • imjaniejac@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 9, 2011
        Hi to all Jackson kinfolk and researchers,

        The Jackson website has been updated again, the first since September 2010.  Lack of updating is not because of lack of new info, but just an indication that I am slowing down.  And that I've been distracted by research into 'Old Augusta', Virginia and Braxton County, West Virginia Jacksons.

        So now in the new year, I've gone through the data base and marked everyone born 1910 without a date of death as 'assumed deceased' so they will show on the web site.  Again, if you know of dates of death that I don't have, please let me know so those folks can show on the site.

        Dr. Anthony Troha, after taking a brief break, is continuing his research into early New York Jacksons and has contributed his research.  He has access to historical materials that I would never see and I appreciate his interest.

        Several Jackson descendants have recently sent their family information which has been input to the data base.  See the Additions and Changes page (link below) for a listing of most recent changes.

        There are now 24,152 individuals in the data base and the site counter records 61,208 visitors!  I haven't kept a good count, but I probably answer at least six to eight email inquiries from descendants a week.  It does make life interesting!  I love the challenge of the hunt and the contact I have with other descendants and researchers.  The FTDNA public site has had a major upgrade - which upgrades their genetic results but sure messed up our public lineage page.  Mike Jackson has finally got that page looking right again.  I'm glad he could figure out what to do with that page, because I sure couldn't.

      • imjaniejac@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 11, 2011
          To all Jackson kinfolk and researchers,

          The Jackson website has been updated this evening.  Several Jackson descendants have sent their family information and Dr. Troha sent more on Townsend Jackson of New York whose descendants moved on to upper Pennsylvania.  I'm always glad to receive contributed information!

          There are now 24,316 individuals in the database, an additional 164 folks since the January upload.  The site has had 62,018 visitors.  You can view a summary of the additions and changes here: http://www.jacksonfamilygenealogy.com/pages/additionsandchanges_2011.htm .

          Would anyone be interested in contributing census transcriptions on any of the folks that I haven't got to yet?  I found a URL to ancestry.com census records that allows one to locate all years not just a year at a time.  Maybe this is common knowledge; but it was new to me so I thought I should share it: http://search.ancestry.com/search/grouplist.aspx?group=usfedcen .

          Happy hunting!
          Janie