Jackson website update letter

  • imjaniejac@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 4, 2008
      Hi Folks,
      This is to let you know that the Jackson website has been updated again.  This is the longest time between updates that I have had, but it's been a very busy two-and-a-half months with many more branches being added.  I will quote just a few paragraphs from the Additions and Changes pages and you can go there to get the rest.
      Added over 200 descendants and related persons of Abigail Jackson and Jonathan Hughes into main data base. These are probably not all of their descendants but are all I have been able to reliably document for now. After much study, my conclusion is that Abigail was the daughter of William, s/o Joseph Jackson of Morris County, NJ, and her descendants deserve a place in our Jackson tree!
      Posted a timeline for Jonathan Hughes on the Research Notes Page for purpose of determining location of birth of Abigail's children.
      Updated Conflicting Data 3 pages about Abigail Jackson, daughter of William Jackson.
      A compelling conjecture has been made for James Jackson who married Abigail Fairchild in Wilkes Co., NC,  being the son of John Jackson of Morris County, NJ who removed to North Carolina after his forge was sold at Sheriff's Sale in 1753.  But it is stressed that as of September 2008, the relationship of James born in Morris County NJ and James living in Wilkes Co., NC has not been documented.  Results of a DNA study have indicated that James is a descendant of Col. John Jackson and Elizabeth Seaman, but does not indicate the exact branch.  A study of the analysis and conclusions about James in Wilkes and Ashe Co., NC, by Bob Mitchell has been posted for your consideration here: http://www.jacksonfamilygenealogy.com/pages/conflictinganalysis_of_JamesJackson.htm.  So I have added James Jackson and Abigail Fairchild and a great many of their descendants (of Wilkes Co., NC to Montgomery Co., Indiana) to the data base.   This record of these folks has been a collaborative effort at ancestry.com by Janeen Proctor, Jack McAnally and Janie Kimble that is now moved over to this site.  Also revised the timeline research notes available from link in the Research Notes Section.  These Research Notes now include info on James Jackson of Wilkes County, who has been newly determined to be Hempstead by DNA match.
      For some time I've had cautionary remarks in the notes of Rebecca Jackson Lowe, conjectured daughter of William Jackson, s/o Gen. Joseph Jackson. New information has arrived that Rebecca is more likely the daughter of William's son Stephen and though this sounds logical to me, it is not verified yet. Rather than remove all of Rebecca and Jacob Lowe's descendants from online, I am moving her to be Stephen's daughter, again with cautionary notes, hoping that verification can be made soon.
      Quite a few descendants of Rebecca Jackson and Jacob Lowe have been added.
      In addition to the above (1) James Jackson and Abigail Fairchild page in the Conflicting Data section, two more pages have been added to that section: (2) William Mott query by Graham Johnson and (3) a page analyzing all the William Jacksons mentioned in various charts as being in Wilkes Co., NC, during the time our William was there. This study seemed necessary in order to sort out the various claims and determine which is logically more accurate. This study on William also reveals that the Rebecca Jackson who married Abiud Fairchild is very likely a daughter of our William. So she has been added to William's family as a sister to Abigail. All three pages are recommended reading.
      Connected Phoebe Fairchild and James Albert Sewell and added their children. Phoebe is d/o Rebecca Jackson and Abiud Fairchild; James is s/o Mary Gardiner Tompkins, step-dau of Elizabeth Jackson Tompkins, sister of William Jackson of Carter Co., TN.
      There is more on the Additions and Changes Page here: http://www.jacksonfamilygenealogy.com/pages/additionsandchanges2008.htm
      Jerry's email address (above) and on the Home Page has changed.  You may want to make a note of it.  There are currently 21,470 individuals in the data base but all do not show on the Jackson site as I show only "descendants of Robert Jackson" and all the collateral families do not show.  Later, I may experiment to see what happens if I upload 'ALL'.  We'll see.  I also posted a chart of James Jackson and Abigail Fairchild on rootsweb thinking some of the Fairchild's might be interested.
      Has anyone checked out the site www.WeRelate.com that I mentioned last week??  I've had no feedback, so it appears there is no interest in that.  Yes, I know, it's still in beta and not yet as great as it will be.  But it has a lot of potential.
      If anyone wants to be removed from this mailing list, let me know.
      That's it for now.  Please let me know of any corrections and/or additions.

      New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your destination. Dining, Movies, Events, News & more. Try it out!
    • imjaniejac@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 24 5:08 PM
        Hi folks,
        This is to let you know that the Jackson website has been updated again.  As Jerry and I have both been away from our computers for part of the month, the additions and changes are not as extensive as last time but we have managed to complete the input of info from Kathy Burch Williams and Jack Hendrick concerning Jackson and Burch family connections.
        And there are several other additions and/or corrections that can be found here:
        There are now 21,699 individuals in the database (+229 from last time) and the site has had 34,273 visitors.  The site continues to grow because of the contributions of our extended families and we appreciate every one of you.
        I expect this will be the last update before the first of the year, so let us get a head start in wishing all of you
                                A MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
        Janie Kimble
        and Jerry Gross
      • imjaniejac@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 18, 2009
          Hi folks,
          It is the site's Fourth Anniversary and it has been updated again.  I've tweaked the Home Page a bit and made a change in how contributors and researchers are listed.  I started the Contributors Page in order to give credit to those folks who kept in touch with me frequently.  That may have given them credit but did not help anyone else know which lines those Contributors were working on.  Then there were also folks who wanted to be listed as a Jackson researcher but maybe had their own sites and were not adding to this data base.  So I hope this new page called  Jackson Researchers List and Email Links will serve a better function.  This page, being new, is not at all complete.  If you would like to be listed there, please drop me a note.  The email links are written in java script to avoid spammers.  Several of you are already listed there but I would like to include your specific area of interest.  This helps others know who to contact with questions.  So please help me fill in the blanks.  To be added or removed from the list, just let me know.
          There are two or three corrections on the Additions and Changes Page.  It is always recommended you check that page for corrections so that you have the latest.  One I found amusing (if any error can be called that) is the name and gender is changed for Raymona Maxine Jackson.  That should have been and is now Raymond Maxin Jackson, s/o Alonzo Ross Jackson of Humphreys Co., TN.  Another change is Sarah Udall Tredwell; she is now Sarah Udall.  This was a hard decision as I found no good research about Sarah.  Mary Powell Bunker has her name without the Tredwell and I have reverted to that.  If anyone knows more about this lady who married John Jackson, please let me know!
          You know the Additions and Changes page is accessible from the Home Page, so check it out.  There are now 22,038 persons in the data base and the site has had 35,830 visitors last time I looked.  So keep those email coming and help grow our Jackson tree.  I remain amazed!  My reward is the correspondence with 'cuzins' and the pleasure I have in finding new ones!
          Happy hunting!
        • imjaniejac@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 17, 2009
            Hi Folks,
            The Jackson web site has been updated again.  The Army has kept Jerry so busy this month that he hasn't had time to work on genealogy (I don't see how he manages anyway), but hopefully he'll be back with more info next month.
            I won't repeat the whole Additions and Changes pages but the most time-consuming and perhaps significant is the first and last items on that list:
            Added extensive work on the descendants of Susan Halsey Jackson and William Gaskill of Fort Wayne, Indiana.  Input material from Oscar Burton Robbins book that had been previously skipped (pgs 119-127) and included information received from two descendants of this couple.
            Revision has been made to the record of the two youngest sons of James Jackson and Rebecca Hallett; Stephen and Benjamin:
                 1. Updated notes of Stephen Jackson 1717, son of James Jackson and Rebecca Hallett; also added a quote from "History of Old Cheraws" which indicates his attitude and influence prior to the Revolution. This helps to understand how Stephen could later be referred to as of "Revolutionary War Fame". (Bob Mitchell)
                 2. Capt. Stephen Jackson, "Killing Stephen", son of Benjamin, gr-son of James Jackson and Rebecca Hallett: His notes have been revised to make more readable and add more info.  The record of Stephen claiming four 'natural born children' has been challenged so more has been added to his notes to acknowledge that. The challenger has asked that her research about one of these children, Elizabeth 'Betsey' Hendrick Jackson Crawford, not be used. So the Crawford children have been removed and the Notes for Elizabeth have been revised.
                 3. Updated notes of Nancy Hendrick, whose children were claimed by Stephen Jackson.
                 4. One of these four claimed children was John Hendrick Jackson. Previously it was thought that this John was the same John who married Rebecca Rushing.  This was conjecture based on circumstances and location but no documentation. So this is still a possibility but until better evidence is found, the connection of John Jackson, husband of Rebecca Rushing, and this John Hendrick Jackson has been removed as of Feb 14, 2009.
            The Researchers' email page may be under constant revision.  Any Hempstead Jackson researcher can asked to be added to the list.  I've put some names on that list just to get it started, but if there is no area of interest listed, I will assume you're not interested in remaining on the list.  Or if you want your name removed now, let me know.  The email links are coded to avoid harvesters and spammers.
            Oh, I also fixed several broken links and completely rearranged Broken Branches and Jackson Web Site pages.
            So please check out the Additions and Changes Page.  There are now 22,219 folks in the data base (though not all of them show on the site) and the site has had 36,811 visitors last time I checked.
            Does anyone belong to a 'family association' web site who could share their experience with us?  We've been wondering if something like that would be feasible for our group or not.  You may not realize that this update letter goes out to two yahoo Jackson groups PLUS 65+ other folks who have asked to receive these update notices.   I don't have experience with either family associations or family corporations (similar to the folks who maintain the http://www.eg.bucknell.edu/~hyde/jackson/ site).   I have no idea how many people would be interested in being involved or how it would work, so right now I'm just open to receiving information about them.  Something as simple as maintaining the email distribution list would be a big help.  So would occasional transcribing documents into text files.  There are lots of things that go undone just for lack of time of my part.  But I love doing what I do!
            Happy Hunting
          • imjaniejac@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , May 5, 2009
              Hi Folks,
              The Jackson website has been updated again.  It's been longer than usual between this update and the last as I've been involved with a Special Project that doesn't yet show on the site - several Broken Branches.  Normally Broken Branches are lines that folks send me but this was different as quite a few folks were involved collaborating on the research.  I hope to get this information in shape to be able to post on rootsweb and link to it if no connection to our line is actually found.  DNA tests indicate these folks are Hempstead Jackson descendants so we continue the search.
              One new item has come from this - our need for a better way to communicate/collaborate with others working on the same project.  So now we have a yahoo group just for Hempstead Jackson folks.  A quote from the Additions and Changes Page:
              I've added a box on the Home Page announcing a yahoo group that I've opened up for the use of anyone researching our particular Jackson line.  This is the third yahoo group dedicated to the surname Jackson but this will be more focused as it is open to anyone researching specifically the Hempstead Jackson line.  It will be by invitation only, and any descendant may ask to join.  It can be used for queries or ongoing communication for specific research projects.  Just a good way to get quickly in touch with the more active researchers.   Last month it was being used for the folks who have other surnames but who have been proved genetic Jacksons by DNA.  In connection with this, I spent a lot of time the last couple of months working to find connection for a new Jackson DNA participant.  Online research for this has taken us to Trimble County, Kentucky and Clark and Jackson Counties in Indiana. There are not yet any links to these Broken Branches as it is still an ongoing project.  If you have Jacksons in those areas, or just want to help us look, please let me know.
              I don't have any idea of how active the group will be - I expect activity will sort of ebb and flow as different branches are researched.  As in any group, you can elect to receive emails as they are posted or just a daily digest.  I made it an invitation only site so it would remain focused on just our line of Jacksons.  So let me know if you would like an invitation to this group.
              The Researchers Email Page has been cleaned up to only include those folks who have responded with their area of interest.
              Check out the Additions and Changes page to see detail of what else has been done.
              http://www.jacksonfamilygenealogy.com/pages/additionsandchanges2009.htm   You can tell contributions have come in from all different areas of our Jackson tree and from new contributors.  I wish I had the ability to create a U. S. Map with push pins of where all our contributors and/or researchers live!  Would that be neat??  Does someone have the ability to create such a page and maintain it?  Or just create it and tell me how to maintain it.
              There are now 22,412 folks in the data base and the site has had 38,613 visitors as of this morning.  Keep the site updated with whatever new info you've found or if you have your info posted somewhere, let me link to it!
              Happy Hunting,
            • Kyle Atkins
              Message 6 of 13 , May 9, 2009
                If it is easy for you, please include (invite) me in your Yahoo Hempstead Jackson group.  I assume I connect to Hempstead Jacksons via Jemima who m John 1770 McAnally in Washington Co TN.   This is a still unmade connection, but is where we believe Jack McAnally (genetic Jackson) acquired his McAnally name.  I doubt I will be much of a contributor, as I am working at this from the other side, still I will be interested in what is happening.
                Thank you!
                Kyle Atkins