Re: FamilyTreeDNA & Hurricane Ike

  • Evyonne Andrews Eddins
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 11, 2008
      I have received the following message from Bennett Greenspan,
      President of FTDNA to assure you that your DNA information is
      SAFE ...... As many of you already know, Hurricane Ike is knocking on
      the door at the Texas coast! You may want to access the link he has
      given within his message to see just how serious this storm is
      predicted. Being in Texas myself, we learn to check NOAA and other
      Tracking sites throughout the day - Where I live, we're expecting
      many refugees, and I will be off-line periodically helping those at
      the shelter in my area.
      Evyonne Andrews Eddins
      Group Administrator
      FTDNA Jackson Project
      =====================
      Bennett's Message:
      Many of you are probably aware that Hurricane Ike is currently in the
      Gulf of Mexico.
      Family Tree DNA's offices are located about 50 miles inland from the
      Gulf and our
      websites are hosted on servers in high security datacenters nearby
      with backups and
      standbys both in our offices and in other locations in the region.
      All locations are
      directly attached to high speed / high capacity fiber optic
      networks. We have put
      effective backup and redundancy systems in place to prevent any loss
      of data. For
      example, we take a snapshot of the complete genetic and business
      databases every 15
      minutes and maintain those 15 minute snapshots locally for more than
      a month.
      Shortly after each snapshot, the data is replicated to the other
      backup sites for
      redundancy. Should there be a catastrophic impact to the Houston
      area, you should
      be confident that Family Tree DNA's customer and business data is
      safe.
      If you would like to follow along the progress of the storm, we have
      found this site
      to be very informative: http://www.stormpulse.com/
      For those of you concerned about our web site and systems we suggest
      that
      you continue to encourage new members to join your surname project.
      There should be
      no loss of power within the database center and your orders will give
      our staff
      something to do on Monday, since we'll probably send everyone home to
      hunker down
      early Friday afternoon.

      By the way, most of our Group Administrators have done a wonderful
      job promoting the
      current Y-DNA and mtDNA sale we have for project members. The batch
      that closed on
      Wednesday was exceptional and you will see quite a boost to the
      database size within
      the next several weeks as the much larger number of Y-DNA kits work
      themselves through
      the system. Thanks for your support.

      Best Regards,

      President, Family Tree DNA