ethical question

  • Janie
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 6, 2007
      In my research I found in the 1900 census, twin boys, one year old,
      with their widowed mother, married name of xxxxx. The next year their
      mother had remarried to a Jackson and the boys were raised as Jacksons;
      always named Jackson in later census records. I tracked them thru the
      1930 census, knowing they were the same boys as the twins migrated
      together. Now I expect their descendants have no idea that they are
      not Jackson by blood but I wonder about the ethics of trying to let
      them know. Would they be shocked, interested or even care?

      If in your ancestors you have twin males born abt 1899 and your dna did
      not match Jackson, you can email me.
    • Corinne Flatt
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 6, 2007
        Hi Janie,
        Considering I am looking for a James Jackson(my biological father) I am and would be VERY interested in finding out the truth.  I found out half of who I am in 1988 and have been searching ever since for the other part of me.  Sooooo.....I know and understand and would understand if someone approached me.....just my thoughts....!!!

        Take Care
        Corinne

        Janie <imjaniejac@...> wrote:
        In my research I found in the 1900 census, twin boys, one year old,
        with their widowed mother, married name of xxxxx. The next year their
        mother had remarried to a Jackson and the boys were raised as Jacksons;
        always named Jackson in later census records. I tracked them thru the
        1930 census, knowing they were the same boys as the twins migrated
        together. Now I expect their descendants have no idea that they are
        not Jackson by blood but I wonder about the ethics of trying to let
        them know. Would they be shocked, interested or even care?

        If in your ancestors you have twin males born abt 1899 and your dna did
        not match Jackson, you can email me.

        with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.

      • Mary Harkey Russell
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 6, 2007

          I have found things out that  I won't tell unless someone asks a direct question and even then I'd feel weird about telling.
          BUT..  My cousin did a dna test and didn't match anyone at all with his surname of Love.   He would be delighted to find an adoption and a time frame for it.
          Ethical questions are  the very hardest to answer.  Where one person would love you for telling  another would hate you.
          Sorry............. Mary
        • Evyonne Andrews Eddins
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 8, 2007
            Janie:

            From what I gathered from your message (1) you know the descendants
            of the twin boys (2) your research is most diligent (3) yet you are
            concerned about the descendant's acceptance of what you have
            discovered.

            Ethics is a principle of right or good conduct - - among other
            things, a set of rules and standards which govern individual conduct,
            as you well know. Ethics is not something that you need to worry too
            much about. You must remember "idealism" embedded by some is
            incompatible with "realism" as compared with today's social culture.
            The persons you have concern, may, may not be objective.

            I do not know the circumstances nor information you have discovered;
            however, I am very, very much aware of how (1) Years ago, I was
            floored when one involved with family history, threw away her years
            of research of many years, because her early ancestors would take
            weekly one day covered wagon from their ranch to a small town where
            they had build their "Sunday House". Maura ding Lipan Apaches did
            cause periodic problems; however it was a way of life. On one such
            trip her ancestors were massacred. Once finding this information,
            she told a group of us "I am not related to anyone that dumb". (2)I
            have discovered where one woman actually sanctioned her husband going
            across town to make his weekly visits, would have a nice supper
            waiting for him because "I won't have to put up with that "Nasty
            stuff". (3) Varied surnames are accepted by many after discovering
            this variable through DNA. Some accept it and find the party (some
            with most unusual circumstances having occurred afterward, or change
            of name due to religious persecution (you never know until one DIGS.
            (4) Then, there are a few who blame it on inaccurate DNA results.

            Most family historians will research family with great diligence,
            however, I am disappointed many will "write off" unmarried couples,
            the weekly trips of a married male, the murder of family member.
            (The following two were found by others (they wanted to know the
            details). One went to OK State Prison for killing his young son –
            the other, the mother of two boys carried her maiden name of Jackson,
            her cousin murdered her "mate" for abusing her and her cousin's wife
            (the murdered man's sister, destroyed all records of her brother ever
            being in existence), then her cousin high tailed it to Texas with his
            wife & family joining him at a later date.

            Also, some won't claim Native American ancestry, an outlaw, being
            part of Contrell's Raiders, or other controversial involvements - -
            In short, these type people take a strict version of today's culture
            is being a self-evident principle or one that is accepted as true
            without proof as the basis for argument; a postulate. Feel out your
            descendants of this particular lineage, explain how society has
            evolved through the generations by giving examples (including what
            you have discovered), and then take their response to gauge your
            response. Otherwise, how will you feel in years to come with this
            discovery still left hanging in limbo?

            Evyonne
            Proud of my Native American Ancestry

            --- In Jackson_Genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Janie" <imjaniejac@...>