Jackson website updated

  • imjaniejac@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 18, 2007
      Hi folks,

      I wanted to tell you all that the Home Page for the Jackson Family Genealogy website has had a major revision.  I've moved things around a bit and tried to reduce the clutter which should make loading time quicker.

      For some time I've regretted the loss of the Guest Book (due to spammers) and have looked for a suitable replacement.  So now there is a forum set up on the site that I hope will be a combination Guest Book and place for questions and answers.  In an effort to eliminate those spammers, the forum will require registration.  But don't let that stop you - hopefully this will become a place for researchers of this Hempstead line to become better acquainted with one another and to help each other find answers.  So this is a preliminary set up for the forum and if you have suggestions for improvement, please let me know.  I'm still learning about this and can use all the help I can get.

      Other changes:
      1) there is now a 'Broken Branches' link and the 'etcetera' links on the right hand side of the Home Page have been moved to it.  For clarity this page has three sections:
          Broken Branches from Robert Jackson's tree
          Circumstantial evidence suggests these Broken Branches are from Robert Jackson's tree
          Various Jacksons looking for an ancestor

      2) the subtitles on DNA Project have been replaced by one DNA Project link which goes to an index of the various pages:
          'Why we need you!' by Mary Harkey Russell
          Unlocking Genealogy with DNA - what it can do
          Frequently Asked Questions - and the answers
          'Introduction to Genetics of the Hempstead Jackson Lineages' by Jack McAnally
          Descendancy charts of Hempstead lineages - DNA results as it pertains to the Hempstead Line
               prepared by Jack McAnally
          FamilyTree DNA All Jackson Project - the website of the lab that does the work and keeps
               the records
          Yahoo discussion group 'Jackson Genealogy'  - Join other Jacksons interested in DNA testing.

      3) the Other Jackson Web Sites previously on lower right side of Home Page have been replaced by one link which goes to a page listing all the various Jackson sites.
          Links to sites with information about Robert Jackson's lineage
          Links to Jackson sites that we know are not connected to Robert of Hempstead

      There are not a lot of new individuals this upload because my time has been spent with the Home Page Revisions, but you can see them here: http://www.jacksonfamilygenealogy.com/pages/additionsandchanges2007.htm
      There are 13,278 individuals in the data base and we have had 19,280 visitors.

      I do hope you'll go to the new forum and introduce yourself so all your distant cousins will know who you are.  I wanted a place so all the Hempstead Jackson researchers could list themselves and help each other.  I am enjoying the emails back and forth with so many of you and thought if we used the forum that others would enjoy the conversations too.

      I hope you'll let me know what you think about the changes and the forum,

      Janie                          P.S.  For those who like to explore, I've found a new site that is still in beta but I think holds a lot of promise.  If they can get all the bugs out of it, it may eventually compete with ancestry.com and this will be a free site.  But right now it's not user friendly yet.  This is a wiki type site and their vision of what they want to accomplish is huge!  http://www.werelate.org .  For an example of the help that will be added, check this out: http://www.werelate.org/wiki/Category:Surname_in_place and scroll down to open the page "Ligon in Illinois" to see one of the best pages so far.  As I said this is still in beta and is far from complete, but any of you can create or edit pages to help it along.  I'll be watching the progress of this site!   Janie

      See what's free at AOL.com.
    • imjaniejac@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , May 18, 2007
        Hi folks,

        The Jackson website has been updated again and the list of additions and changes is here:
        http://www.jacksonfamilygenealogy.com/pages/additionsandchanges2007.htm
        When I did the upload this time, I included my RIN numbers.  It may clutter the looks a little bit but with more folks writing or helping with the info, I thought it best to include the RIN number for reference.

        One particular item I will mention is this:  After studying info that I had for the children of James and Rebecca (Hallet) Jackson, I saw that although James still owned land in Hempstead, his principal place of residence was in Rocky Hill, Flushing, Queens Co and his first child was born there. So I have given all of their children the birthplace of Rocky Hill, Flushing.  Previously, I had picked up location of births from the various sources that named either Flushing or Hempstead or left it blank.  One source even said Rocky Hill, Suffolk County and though I didn't use it, I also found it as Rocky Hill, Orange County!  So I figured that if their first child was born in Rocky Hill, Flushing and that was their principal place of residence, and they had a new baby every year or so; that these folks weren't moving back and forth a lot.  So I gave all the children the birth location of Rocky Hill, Flushing, Queens County.  Each child's birth location may not be documented; but it just sounded logical to me.

        Jack McAnally, a descendant of a Hempstead Jackson orphan, has been helping with info on the site more frequently.  You may know him as our contact for DNA purposes.  He is proposing a cooperative effort to find some of our Jacksons using the private tree system at ancestry.com, and he will be posting his suggestion to the various Jackson lists or message boards.  Watch for it and you may be able to work with him on your particular branch to extend it.  This is a sort of fun way to work together.  Hopefully the new info that is found will find it's way back to our main data base and can be shared with everyone.

        A good bit of time was spent in building a tree for Samuel Jackson (who married Rachel Doty) and trying to find his parents.  I finally posted Samuel and Rachel's family to Rootsweb and linked to it from the Broken Branches/Looking for an Ancestor page.  It is strange that they lived in Hempstead and were buried at St. George's Church, but no record has been found for Samuel's parents.   I'd love to be able to connect him to Robert's tree but have been unable to do so.

        Info on another bit of conflicting data has been added by a forum member but I haven't worked on it yet.  Ya'll feel free to look into this and come up with some answers!
        Please remember to check into the forum now and then.  It's still new and not very much there yet.  I wish some of you would go there and write something so it wouldn't look so empty! <grin>

        The data base now has 13,468 individuals in it and the site has had 20,155 visitors!  When FreeFind spidered the site yesterday, they said I had 661 pages on the site.  I stay amazed!

        Janie Jackson Kimble

        See what's free at AOL.com.
      • John McAnally
        Message 3 of 5 , May 18, 2007
          Janie
              If Richard Dodd Jackson's genealogy is correct and Samuel and Rachel Doty Jackson are his true ancestors, then Samuel will never have a common ancestor with Robert Jackson in the period of time from now until back in history before surnames were in existence. You pride yourself in being precise in the genealogy you maintain, you must do the same on the Y-DNA. If you still have doubts in what I have said then I think we need to take this subject to a contact at FTDNA and have them either support my contention or refute it. In fact I am going to ask one of the contacts at FTDNA and get them to do just that, so don't respond to my message until I get back with information from FTDNA.

                                                          Jack

          Message 4 of 5 , May 20, 2007
            A short way to resolve the Genealogy/DNA conflict might be to qualify the proposed genealogy linkage with a statement to the effect of:
            "This appears to be a reasonable genealogical connection.  However, if this connection is a fact, then the single DNA comparison to date shows a "non-paternal event" somewhere in the line."
            Kyle A.

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 13, 2013
              Message
              The Jackson site has been updated again with 283 new people and a couple of corrections.  The counter shows we have had 77,389 visitors!  I know 389 of those 'visitors' were probably me, just checking on something about the site, but that's still a lot of folks who have come by to see our Jackson tree.  You can see the summarized list of Additions and Changes here: http://www.jacksonfamilygenealogy.com/pages/additionsandchanges_2013.htm

              I hope y'all saw the earlier notice on the Home Page concerning Jerry Gross' companion Jackson site http://www.quiltedfamilytrees.com/.  I've just been notified that my number of pages exceed both the requirements of my Host Server and the free WebSide Search Engine.  Not sure just yet how that is going to affect the function of the site but I'm glad Jerry's site is up and running!

              You may or may not have noticed that yahoo has 'updated' their groups.  I'm mailing this msg to the group but I have no idea if it will be delivered to everyone or not.  Yahoo has had difficulty getting the updated groups to function as they should.  Our Hempstead group has never been real active but it was really handy at times.  I appreciated the contributions of everyone involved.  Maybe it is time to let it go; what do you think??

              Janet Bjorndahl, is a really distant cousin, but cousin none-the-less.  It is amazing how people connect!  She had no idea when she volunteered to help me upload the Jackson data base to http://www.WeRelate that we were related.  But as she worked with my database she found our connection.  She has now worked for several months to help me get MOST of the Jackson database posted to this free, collaborative, wiki site.  She started with what I had as of last March 1st, so new info since then is not posted.  But everything (in the database, not the separate pages)that we had accumulated before March 1st is now available at that site and you can add your additional info directly to what she and I have posted there. (If you do, I'll be notified.)  Info can be added manually, one item at a time - like somebody's date of death, or a whole tree can be added via GEDCOM.  It is ONE collaborative tree.  And because of that, good sources are most important to keeping the site from being an accumulation of legends and "I saw it somewhere' postings.  Like all newbies, when I first started this journey, I didn't bother with sources and it wasn't until I began to run into conflicting data that the necessity of good sources became important to me.  Learning from more experienced researchers at WeRelate has just strengthened that understanding. I like the concept of WeRelate but I do understand it is not everybody's "cup o tea"!  So I'm grateful that Jerry's site is up and available to us. Folks, he'll post family pictures if you'll send them to him!

              Keep Jerry and I in mind as you find additional info for our Jackson tree.  And, as always, point out any corrections that should be made.

              Janie