Jackson website update

  • imjaniejac@aol.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 3, 2005
      This week's revision has been uploaded and reindexed.  We have had 6589 visitors to the site and have 4066 (+72) individuals in the data base.

      I found a site with St. George's Church of Hempstead marriages and so was able to either add or correct a lot of marriage dates.   Last week I removed the date of death of James, s/o James and Rebecca.  And this week I've found a more reliable source for that date and location of death, so a better date is available now.  Also added a lot of grandchildren.

      I bought membership in the New York Genealogical Society so I could access their records and perhaps learn to be a better genealogist too.   It's been recommended to me twice now.  I'm hoping this will be a benefit to the site.

      Here's the link to the additions and changes:  http://www.jacksonfamilygenealogy.com/pages/additionsandchanges.htm

      'Til next week, happy hunting!
      Janie
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 24, 2005
        The weekly update has been discontinued as I found it wasn't always convenient to break in the middle of research to upload it.  From now on, it will be updated on an 'as needed basis'.   I will continue to email folks that request it to let them know the site has been updated.

        This evening's upload was actually three week's work.  So there's been quite a bit going on: I've been encouraged to bring my data on Robert of Hempstead more in line with more recent genealogical research by Harry Macy.  I hesitated to touch it because thinking Robert was married to Agnes Washburn was well accepted and really easier than trying to tackle dividing the children among three different wives.  But I bit the bullet and did it with the help of another genealogist who knew more than I did.  So here it is to the best of my understanding.   I have put Harry Macy's article on the site in the 'Conflicting Data' section and would encourage everyone to read it.  The article was originally published in "The Record" by the New York Genealogical and Biographical Society in the January, 2000 issue on page 3.  After reading it, the first thing I did was find Robert's Will to see if he mentioned his wife Agnes Washburn.  Her last name is not mentioned!

        Another plus for the site is the addition of two charts by Bob Mitchell who has done extensive research on the descendants of Stephen and Benjamin Jackson.  These men showed up in the Carolinas and are believed by many to be the youngest sons of James Jackson and Rebecca Hallett.  Many folks are awaiting DNA testing to determine if DNA testing can prove what paper trails cannot.  So I thank Bob for this contribution and hope others can benefit from this 'southern connection'.

        BTW, the Jackson DNA testing group is desperately looking for a male by the name of Jackson that is a documented descendant of Robert of Hempstead.  The test itself is simple and secure and money has been donated to help defer the cost.  If you know a Jackson man that qualifies, do all these 'cousins' a favor and encourage him to read about it on the site and to participate.

        Paula Mellor has donated considerable time and effort in researching the children, grandchildren and all their spouses of James Stout and Phoebe Jackson, daughter of Edward Jackson and Martha Miller.   So this branch is now well documented with sources listed.   This has been a lot of work; but a lot of fun too for Paula and I both.

        There is more on the Additions page so check it out:
        http://www.jacksonfamilygenealogy.com/pages/additionsandchanges.htm .  The data base is up to 4342, an addition of 276 persons in the last three weeks!   Oh, more folks are showing up now that I've figured out how to get the parents of spouses to show on the web page.  I haven't input all the parents of spouses, but when it was vital to figuring out who was who, I tried to do that.

        So happy hunting until next time,
        Janie
        http://www.jacksonfamilygenealogy.com

      • ifs
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 24, 2005
          Thanks for all your efforts.

          I am new to the site.

          As a male Williams, I have an understanding that the DNA test I took
          only applies to Williams except for some situations of special tests.

          I have not learned how to read the test nor understand the new language
          of it.

          Over the last two long weekends, I just completed the restoration except
          for the lettering of my great grandfather's and mother's grave house.
          They are Andrew Taylor Jackson (d. 1924) and Lucy Ida Cryer Jackson
          (d.1933) buried in Goodhope Baptist Church Cemetery, Goodhope Community,
          Eclectic, Elmore County, Alabama beside AL Hwy 14 (Tallassee Hwy).

          Woodrow A. Williams

        • jsgross1.rm
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 10, 2005
            Joel:

            Do you still have this book? My address is:

            Jerry Gross
            3710 Clayton Drive
            Leavenworth, KS 66048

            Thanks,

            Jerry Gross

            --- In Jackson_Genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Joel F Jackson
            <joeljackson2@j...> wrote:

            > I have a large bound book o f Warren County Ohio geneology Notes on
            > Jacksons. Can't locate it tonight, but I don't think I need it.
            I'd be

          • imjaniejac@aol.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 10, 2005
              Yes, I wrote him too when he first put that up.  He had misplaced it and couldn't find it.  Maybe your email will remind him to look some more.
              Janie
            • John McAnally
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 10, 2005
                Janie
                What is this referring to?
                Jack McAnally
                Volunteer Co Administrator on the Jackson & McAnally Y-DNA Surname Projects

                >From: imjaniejac@...
                >To: Jackson_Genealogy@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [Jackson_Genealogy] Re: Jackson website update
                >Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 16:59:48 EST
                >
                >Yes, I wrote him too when he first put that up. He had misplaced it and
                >couldn't find it. Maybe your email will remind him to look some more.
                >Janie
              • JERALD GROSS
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 10, 2005
                  John:

                  I think Janie is referring to my reply to Joel Jackson on the book that he has.  Both Janie and I are interested in it as it more than likely has information from our Jackson lines.

                  Jerry

                  John McAnally <jrmcanally@...> wrote:
                  Janie
                    What is this referring to?
                  Jack McAnally
                  Volunteer Co Administrator on the Jackson & McAnally Y-DNA Surname Projects

                  >From: imjaniejac@...
                  >To: Jackson_Genealogy@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: Re: [Jackson_Genealogy] Re: Jackson website update
                  >Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 16:59:48 EST
                  >
                  >Yes, I wrote him too when he first put that up.  He had misplaced it and
                  >couldn't find it.  Maybe your email will remind him to look some more.
                  >Janie

                  American family home insuranceAmerican family home insurance companyAmerican family home owner insurance
                  GenealogyMulti family home for saleSingle family home for sale

                • Joel F Jackson
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 10, 2005
                    I Can not find it anywhere. I have a virtual Uncataloged Library. Sorry! It will show up.
                    On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 21:22:08 -0000 "jsgross1.rm" <jsgross1@...> writes:
                    > Joel:
                    >
                    > Do you still have this book?  My
                    address is:

                    > Jerry Gross
                    > 3710 Clayton Drive

                    Leavenworth, KS  66048

                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > Jerry
                    Gross

                    href="mailto:Jackson_Genealogy@yahoogroups.com">Jackson_Genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Joel F Jackson
                    > <joeljackson2@j...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I have a large bound book o f Warren County Ohio geneology Notes

                    on
                    > > Jacksons. Can't locate it tonight, but I don't think I need it.
                    > I'd be
                    > > willing to pass it to someone who can use it.
                    > > Joel Jackson

                    > --------------------~-->
                    > Help save the life of a child.
                    Support St. Jude Children's Research

                    href="http://us.click.yahoo.com/kHgT2A/lbOLAA/a8ILAA/FvNolB/TM">http://us.click.yahoo.com/kHgT2A/lbOLAA/a8ILAA/FvNolB/TM

                    > <*> To visit your group on
                    the web, go to:

                    > <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
                    to:

                    > <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject
                    to:

                  • JERALD GROSS
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 10, 2005
                      Thanks Joel.  Just save my email.  I appreciate the offer.  I know that both Janie Jackson Kimble and I could both use the book.

                      Jerry

                    • imjaniejac@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 21, 2005
                        The Jackson website has been updated today with three weeks' work.  One of the time consuming projects was a research paper on the moving of Edward Jackson's gravestone from the home farm near Mt. Clair in Harrison Co, WV to the graveyard at the Seventh Day Baptist Church in Salem, WV.  The moving of his stone to this location was because of confusion among folks that cared about the condition of the Mt. Clair site.  They cared enough to do something about it, but they did not have the advantage of good genealogical records.  So "Chapter Three" of the Sarah/Abigail story is in the Conflicting Data Section.  Paula Mellor and I worked together to present this event backed up by lots of citations from Paula's research.

                        Most of the new individuals addeed to the data base (129 of them) were living in the Barbour County, Harrison County and/or Roane County areas of West Virginia.  These are descendants of Martha Jackson Thompson, d/o Capt. Stephen Jackson and Sarah 'Sally' Jackson Woodford, d/o Samuel Jackson of Meigs Co, Ohio.  I extended both these families further down the line (5 generations) than I normally do for Jackson women.  I guess I got on a roll and couldn't stop!

                        I put in a new counter that should give us a more accurate count of the visitors to the site.  The old one was counting me everytime I went there to fix something.  The data base is up to 4473 individuals and we have had 7840 visitors (at least 150 of those were probably me.)

                        There are more additions listed on the Additions page so check it out:
                        http://www.jacksonfamilygenealogy.com/pages/additionsandchanges.htm .  Let me know if you have info you could contribute to the site.

                        Happy hunting 'til next time,
                        Janie

                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 29, 2005
                          Hi folks,  The Jackson website has been updated today with so few additions and changes that I'll just copy them into this letter.

                          November 29, 2005     Added  Biography of MinterJackson, Smyth Co, VA from  Men of Mark in Virginia, published in 1908.  Minter was s/o StephenPomeroy Jackson & Hannah Bailey.  Added date & place of death for Minter. Also added birth and parents of  Mary Louisa Davisson, third wife of Minter.

                          Corrected burial place of  Susannah Jackson & Benjamin Bassel.
                          Added spouse & children (and their spouses) of  Virginia Woodford Bush, gr-dau of Sarah Jackson & William Woodford. Sarah was gr-dau of Edward Jackson & Martha Miller.

                          Added to marriage info of William Hamilton Jackson  of Calhoun County,WV; correcting name of second wife.  In fact, filled in a lot of holes in William Hamilton's descendants; also his sister, Maud.

                          Added birth & death dates for  Estelle Jackson and husband, 'Bud' Bennett. Estelle is granddau of Benjamin Jackson & Betty Stallman of Calhoun County,WV.

                          I also rearranged the bottom of the index page just a bit.  There are 4517 individuals in the data base and we have had 8029 visitors.  If you see anything that needs correcting, please let me know.

                          If anybody wants to 'opt-out' of these update notices, just reply to this email and say "quit" in the subject line.

                          'Till next time, happy hunting,
                          Janie
                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 29, 2005
                            The Jackson website has ben updated today, the first update in a month.  A good bit has been added and you can find the list of additions and changes here:
                            http://www.jacksonfamilygenealogy.com/pages/additionsandchanges.htm   The data base now has 4661 individuals (up 144) and as of last night, we have had 8497 visitors.  I am still so pleased that the site continues to have so many visitors and that so much new information is available.

                            I notice that nearly all the 'projects' I work on are initiated by folks writing to me; either sending me info or asking about a specific family; but mostly they are sending me info.  And that's the good news!

                            On the other hand . . . Jerry Gross has been a faithful contributor to this site since it's inception.  He has received notice that he will be stationed in Iraq by the middle or end of January and his tour will be for a year.   He expects to have his laptop and access to internet with him, so we can hope to hear from him from time to time, but I surely do hate to see him have to go.  So folks, I know we should pray for all of our young men over there, but Jerry's one of our kin, and I'd like to request that we continue to keep Jerry, and his wife and two young children too, in our prayers during this stressful and dangerous time.

                            That's all for this month.  Even slowing down for Christmas and cataract surgery, there has been a good bit added.

                            Happy hunting,
                            Janie Jackson Kimble

                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 25, 2006
                              I have just completed an update to the Jackson website, the first in three and a half weeks.  We've had 8970 visitors to the site and have added an unbelievable 637 individuals to the site this month.  I KNEW I had been busy but that number of new folks still surprised me.  Even the Additions and Changes page is longer than usual.  Remember, I do not download GEDCOMs.

                              A very lot of these folks are descendants of Jemima Jackson Arnold's daughter, Mary 'Polly' Arnold Knotts.  Since I was able to put a lot of birth, marriage and death vital records in the folks' Notes, all of this may be of more interest to folks named Knotts.  But they all had a Jackson ancestor so I included them.

                              Another researcher, Ken Kirch, has sent me info on some of the descendants of Robert Ayers and Anna Jackson (1746-1816), d/o General Joseph Jackson and Mary Ann Robinson.  This is very welcome and may open up new areas for research.

                              I also went through the whole list adding 'deceased' into the record of anyone born in 1903 that previously was considered LIVING.  Now those folks will show up.  I continue to ask that if you know of any death date for someone listed as LIVING, that you will let me know, so that they can show on the site.

                              Update on Jerry:  He's at Fort Hood, Texas for training and will probably leave for Iraq sometime in February.

                              So have a look at the Additions and Corrections Page.  There's a lot there.
                              http://www.jacksonfamilygenealogy.com/pages/additionsandchanges.htm

                              Till next time,
                              Janie Jackson Kimble
                              http://www.jacksonfamilygenealogy.com