Jackson website update

  • imjaniejac@aol.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 5, 2005
      Good afternoon folks,

      This week's revision has been uploaded and reindexed.  We have had 5874 visitors to the site and 3792 individuals in the data base; an addition of 113 persons (I knew I had been busy this week!).  A lot of these folks were born 1903 or after and I don't have dates of death, so they will only show as LIVING.  If any of you have dates of death for them, please let me know so that they can show on the site.

      One of the new additions this week is the image of Captain Stephen Jackson's Commission.  If you remember, the Jackson Ledger on page 44 said he fought in the Revolutionary War but was never commissioned.  So it appears the Ledger was wrong in this and I have made a transcriber's note in it to that effect, with a link to the actual image of the Commission.  A link to the Commission is also listed on the Pictures page.

      I don't know how many of you might know, or know of Christine White Jackson; but wanted to share with you that she is quite ill and not expected to live.  If you want to contact her son, Bill White, his email address is <janelewbill@...>.   Christine is 94 and the last of her generation in that locality.  Bill has shared with us the research he and his mother, Christine, and her mother, Sarah Blanche Hall Jackson have accumulated over the years.  The info has been included in this week's update.

      The including of the Yahoo Jackson group in last week's mailing seemed to work fine; but if any on that list do not want to receive these weekly mailings, just drop me a note.

      Here is the link to the Additions and changes page: http://www.jacksonfamilygenealogy.com/pages/additionsandchanges.htm

      Janie
      http://jacksonfamilygenealogy.com
    • imjaniejac@aol.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 19, 2005
        Good afternoon folks,

        I've just got the revision to the site uploaded and reindexed.  I skipped last week because Paula Mellor and I were in the middle of correcting the descendants of Stephen Jackson and Elias Flesher in Warren County, Ohio.  I didn't want to upload before we had found, added and/or corrected all that we could.  The 1860 Warren County Census for Stephen Jackson was in error and therefore, was misleading.  As far as we can tell now, we've got Stephen's children with the right parents now and have even found Cassander and his descendants.   It was a convoluted puzzle that deserves a page of it's own if and when I get it written.  But if you are following the Warren County Jacksons, you may want to check them out again.

        I changed the file for the image of Stephen Jackson's commission.  The first file was too large and took too long to load.  This should be better.

        Also have added a new section on the Home Page to put in links to other Jackson sites that are NOT of Robert of Hempstead's line.  This is just as an aid to folks that still haven't found their connection.  I'll add more of these sites as I find them. . . and I would encourage you to send me links to put there as you find good sites.

        I notice the counter is not working today.  This has to be a problem on their end, because I haven't changed that at all.  Last night the counter said we have had 6219 visitors.  There are also now 3938 individuals in the data base; up 146 for the two week period.  Sixty of these new folks are the Warren County, Ohio descendants!

        That's all to put in this letter for now.  For more additions and changes that have happened since last update see http://www.jacksonfamilygenealogy.com/pages/additionsandchanges.htm .  With so many changes being made, it is entirely possible that certain links may not work.  If you find any broken links, please drop me a note so that I know to fix it.

        Happy hunting!
        Janie
        http://jacksonfamilygenealogy.com
      • Joel F Jackson
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 19, 2005
          I have a large bound book o f Warren County Ohio geneology Notes on
          Jacksons. Can't locate it tonight, but I don't think I need it. I'd be
          willing to pass it to someone who can use it.
          Joel Jackson
        • imjaniejac@aol.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 26, 2005
            Good afternoon folks,

            This week's revision has been uploaded and reindexed.  We have had 6461 visitors to the site and have 3994 individuals in the data base.  At least 50 of those visitors was ME going to the page trying to get the new search tools in place!  The site now has more pages than PICO will search for free, so I've been looking for another tool.  I've put two new search boxes on the Home Page.  I like one because it will create a site map (that still needs tweaking) and the other because I think it will search 'deeper' than the original search tool.  I'm still learning on this.  The name index searches the main genealogy charts but I need the search tools to search not only the text pages but the donated charts listed on the right side of the Table of Contents.  I'll continue to work to get the results page customized better.  Comments and suggestions are certainly welcome.

            It seems almost petty to work on this when so many in our country have been so grievously hurt.  The site's most active contributor is Jerry Gross and right now he has been sent by the Army to Mississippi and then on to New Orleans.  I hope he'll give us a personal recap of his experiences when he returns.  I'll put his latest email as a P.S. onto this letter for those who know Jerry.

            The list of additions and changes is a short one this week.  And the promised new chart hasn't happened yet - is still being worked on.  This on-the-job learning curve is a long curve but I'm enjoying the ride.   http://www.jacksonfamilygenealogy.com/pages/additionsandchanges.htm

            Happy hunting!
            Janie
            http://www.jacksonfamilygenealogy.com
            P. S.  Jerry wrote this before Rita came through!
            Just wanted to let everyone know that I am in Jackson, Mississippi right now.   I am on an Army Observation Team collecting observations on how the military is handling this disaster.

            I arrived in Jackson on 16 September.   I spent the night on the 16th then went drove to Hattiesburg to visit Camp Shelby, the National Guard Training Site.   We then drove to Biloxi, MS where I stayed the night at Keesler AFB from 16-21 September.   During that time I visited the Military units and others supporting the recovery efforts.

            I was able to take a ride on a Blackhawk Helicopter as well.   We traveled throughout the coast of Mississippi and went to New Orleans.   Let me tell you the news coverage, doesn't give Katrina enough credit.   It devastated so many areas that aren't being covered by the news.   If the levees hadn't broke in New Orleans, the story would mostly be about Mississippi.

            I am staying in Jackson to see what Rita will do and then we head to New Orleans.

          • imjaniejac@aol.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 3, 2005
              This week's revision has been uploaded and reindexed.  We have had 6589 visitors to the site and have 4066 (+72) individuals in the data base.

              I found a site with St. George's Church of Hempstead marriages and so was able to either add or correct a lot of marriage dates.   Last week I removed the date of death of James, s/o James and Rebecca.  And this week I've found a more reliable source for that date and location of death, so a better date is available now.  Also added a lot of grandchildren.

              I bought membership in the New York Genealogical Society so I could access their records and perhaps learn to be a better genealogist too.   It's been recommended to me twice now.  I'm hoping this will be a benefit to the site.

              Here's the link to the additions and changes:  http://www.jacksonfamilygenealogy.com/pages/additionsandchanges.htm

              'Til next week, happy hunting!
              Janie
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 24, 2005
                The weekly update has been discontinued as I found it wasn't always convenient to break in the middle of research to upload it.  From now on, it will be updated on an 'as needed basis'.   I will continue to email folks that request it to let them know the site has been updated.

                This evening's upload was actually three week's work.  So there's been quite a bit going on: I've been encouraged to bring my data on Robert of Hempstead more in line with more recent genealogical research by Harry Macy.  I hesitated to touch it because thinking Robert was married to Agnes Washburn was well accepted and really easier than trying to tackle dividing the children among three different wives.  But I bit the bullet and did it with the help of another genealogist who knew more than I did.  So here it is to the best of my understanding.   I have put Harry Macy's article on the site in the 'Conflicting Data' section and would encourage everyone to read it.  The article was originally published in "The Record" by the New York Genealogical and Biographical Society in the January, 2000 issue on page 3.  After reading it, the first thing I did was find Robert's Will to see if he mentioned his wife Agnes Washburn.  Her last name is not mentioned!

                Another plus for the site is the addition of two charts by Bob Mitchell who has done extensive research on the descendants of Stephen and Benjamin Jackson.  These men showed up in the Carolinas and are believed by many to be the youngest sons of James Jackson and Rebecca Hallett.  Many folks are awaiting DNA testing to determine if DNA testing can prove what paper trails cannot.  So I thank Bob for this contribution and hope others can benefit from this 'southern connection'.

                BTW, the Jackson DNA testing group is desperately looking for a male by the name of Jackson that is a documented descendant of Robert of Hempstead.  The test itself is simple and secure and money has been donated to help defer the cost.  If you know a Jackson man that qualifies, do all these 'cousins' a favor and encourage him to read about it on the site and to participate.

                Paula Mellor has donated considerable time and effort in researching the children, grandchildren and all their spouses of James Stout and Phoebe Jackson, daughter of Edward Jackson and Martha Miller.   So this branch is now well documented with sources listed.   This has been a lot of work; but a lot of fun too for Paula and I both.

                There is more on the Additions page so check it out:
                http://www.jacksonfamilygenealogy.com/pages/additionsandchanges.htm .  The data base is up to 4342, an addition of 276 persons in the last three weeks!   Oh, more folks are showing up now that I've figured out how to get the parents of spouses to show on the web page.  I haven't input all the parents of spouses, but when it was vital to figuring out who was who, I tried to do that.

                So happy hunting until next time,
                Janie
                http://www.jacksonfamilygenealogy.com

              • ifs
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 24, 2005
                  Thanks for all your efforts.

                  I am new to the site.

                  As a male Williams, I have an understanding that the DNA test I took
                  only applies to Williams except for some situations of special tests.

                  I have not learned how to read the test nor understand the new language
                  of it.

                  Over the last two long weekends, I just completed the restoration except
                  for the lettering of my great grandfather's and mother's grave house.
                  They are Andrew Taylor Jackson (d. 1924) and Lucy Ida Cryer Jackson
                  (d.1933) buried in Goodhope Baptist Church Cemetery, Goodhope Community,
                  Eclectic, Elmore County, Alabama beside AL Hwy 14 (Tallassee Hwy).

                  Woodrow A. Williams

                • jsgross1.rm
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 10, 2005
                    Joel:

                    Do you still have this book? My address is:

                    Jerry Gross
                    3710 Clayton Drive
                    Leavenworth, KS 66048

                    Thanks,

                    Jerry Gross

                    --- In Jackson_Genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Joel F Jackson

                  • imjaniejac@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 10, 2005
                      Yes, I wrote him too when he first put that up.  He had misplaced it and couldn't find it.  Maybe your email will remind him to look some more.
                      Janie
                    • John McAnally
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 10, 2005
                        Janie
                        What is this referring to?
                        Jack McAnally
                        Volunteer Co Administrator on the Jackson & McAnally Y-DNA Surname Projects

                        >From: imjaniejac@...
                        >To: Jackson_Genealogy@yahoogroups.com
                        >Subject: Re: [Jackson_Genealogy] Re: Jackson website update
                        >Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 16:59:48 EST
                        >
                        >Yes, I wrote him too when he first put that up. He had misplaced it and
                        >couldn't find it. Maybe your email will remind him to look some more.
                        >Janie
                      • JERALD GROSS
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 10, 2005
                          John:

                          I think Janie is referring to my reply to Joel Jackson on the book that he has.  Both Janie and I are interested in it as it more than likely has information from our Jackson lines.

                          Jerry

                          John McAnally <jrmcanally@...> wrote:
                          Janie
                            What is this referring to?
                          Jack McAnally
                          Volunteer Co Administrator on the Jackson & McAnally Y-DNA Surname Projects

                          >From: imjaniejac@...
                          >To: Jackson_Genealogy@yahoogroups.com
                          >Subject: Re: [Jackson_Genealogy] Re: Jackson website update
                          >Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 16:59:48 EST
                          >
                          >Yes, I wrote him too when he first put that up.  He had misplaced it and
                          >couldn't find it.  Maybe your email will remind him to look some more.
                          >Janie

                          American family home insuranceAmerican family home insurance companyAmerican family home owner insurance
                          GenealogyMulti family home for saleSingle family home for sale

                        • Joel F Jackson
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 10, 2005
                            I Can not find it anywhere. I have a virtual Uncataloged Library. Sorry! It will show up.
                            On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 21:22:08 -0000 "jsgross1.rm" <jsgross1@...> writes:
                            > Joel:
                            >
                            > Do you still have this book?  My
                            address is:

                            > Jerry Gross
                            > 3710 Clayton Drive

                            Leavenworth, KS  66048

                            > Thanks,
                            >
                            > Jerry
                            Gross

                            href="mailto:Jackson_Genealogy@yahoogroups.com">Jackson_Genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Joel F Jackson
                            > <joeljackson2@j...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I have a large bound book o f Warren County Ohio geneology Notes

                            on
                            > > Jacksons. Can't locate it tonight, but I don't think I need it.
                            > I'd be
                            > > willing to pass it to someone who can use it.
                            > > Joel Jackson

                            > --------------------~-->
                            > Help save the life of a child.
                            Support St. Jude Children's Research

                            href="http://us.click.yahoo.com/kHgT2A/lbOLAA/a8ILAA/FvNolB/TM">http://us.click.yahoo.com/kHgT2A/lbOLAA/a8ILAA/FvNolB/TM

                            > <*> To visit your group on
                            the web, go to:

                            > <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
                            to:

                            > <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject
                            to:

                          • JERALD GROSS
                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 10, 2005
                              Thanks Joel.  Just save my email.  I appreciate the offer.  I know that both Janie Jackson Kimble and I could both use the book.

                              Jerry

                            • imjaniejac@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 21, 2005
                                The Jackson website has been updated today with three weeks' work.  One of the time consuming projects was a research paper on the moving of Edward Jackson's gravestone from the home farm near Mt. Clair in Harrison Co, WV to the graveyard at the Seventh Day Baptist Church in Salem, WV.  The moving of his stone to this location was because of confusion among folks that cared about the condition of the Mt. Clair site.  They cared enough to do something about it, but they did not have the advantage of good genealogical records.  So "Chapter Three" of the Sarah/Abigail story is in the Conflicting Data Section.  Paula Mellor and I worked together to present this event backed up by lots of citations from Paula's research.

                                Most of the new individuals addeed to the data base (129 of them) were living in the Barbour County, Harrison County and/or Roane County areas of West Virginia.  These are descendants of Martha Jackson Thompson, d/o Capt. Stephen Jackson and Sarah 'Sally' Jackson Woodford, d/o Samuel Jackson of Meigs Co, Ohio.  I extended both these families further down the line (5 generations) than I normally do for Jackson women.  I guess I got on a roll and couldn't stop!

                                I put in a new counter that should give us a more accurate count of the visitors to the site.  The old one was counting me everytime I went there to fix something.  The data base is up to 4473 individuals and we have had 7840 visitors (at least 150 of those were probably me.)

                                There are more additions listed on the Additions page so check it out:
                                http://www.jacksonfamilygenealogy.com/pages/additionsandchanges.htm .  Let me know if you have info you could contribute to the site.

                                Happy hunting 'til next time,
                                Janie

                                Message 15 of 19 , Nov 29, 2005
                                  Hi folks,  The Jackson website has been updated today with so few additions and changes that I'll just copy them into this letter.

                                  November 29, 2005     Added  Biography of MinterJackson, Smyth Co, VA from  Men of Mark in Virginia, published in 1908.  Minter was s/o StephenPomeroy Jackson & Hannah Bailey.  Added date & place of death for Minter. Also added birth and parents of  Mary Louisa Davisson, third wife of Minter.

                                  Corrected burial place of  Susannah Jackson & Benjamin Bassel.
                                  Added spouse & children (and their spouses) of  Virginia Woodford Bush, gr-dau of Sarah Jackson & William Woodford. Sarah was gr-dau of Edward Jackson & Martha Miller.

                                  Added to marriage info of William Hamilton Jackson  of Calhoun County,WV; correcting name of second wife.  In fact, filled in a lot of holes in William Hamilton's descendants; also his sister, Maud.

                                  Added birth & death dates for  Estelle Jackson and husband, 'Bud' Bennett. Estelle is granddau of Benjamin Jackson & Betty Stallman of Calhoun County,WV.

                                  I also rearranged the bottom of the index page just a bit.  There are 4517 individuals in the data base and we have had 8029 visitors.  If you see anything that needs correcting, please let me know.

                                  If anybody wants to 'opt-out' of these update notices, just reply to this email and say "quit" in the subject line.

                                  'Till next time, happy hunting,
                                  Janie
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Dec 29, 2005
                                    The Jackson website has ben updated today, the first update in a month.  A good bit has been added and you can find the list of additions and changes here:
                                    http://www.jacksonfamilygenealogy.com/pages/additionsandchanges.htm   The data base now has 4661 individuals (up 144) and as of last night, we have had 8497 visitors.  I am still so pleased that the site continues to have so many visitors and that so much new information is available.

                                    I notice that nearly all the 'projects' I work on are initiated by folks writing to me; either sending me info or asking about a specific family; but mostly they are sending me info.  And that's the good news!

                                    On the other hand . . . Jerry Gross has been a faithful contributor to this site since it's inception.  He has received notice that he will be stationed in Iraq by the middle or end of January and his tour will be for a year.   He expects to have his laptop and access to internet with him, so we can hope to hear from him from time to time, but I surely do hate to see him have to go.  So folks, I know we should pray for all of our young men over there, but Jerry's one of our kin, and I'd like to request that we continue to keep Jerry, and his wife and two young children too, in our prayers during this stressful and dangerous time.

                                    That's all for this month.  Even slowing down for Christmas and cataract surgery, there has been a good bit added.

                                    Happy hunting,
                                    Janie Jackson Kimble

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jan 25, 2006
                                      I have just completed an update to the Jackson website, the first in three and a half weeks.  We've had 8970 visitors to the site and have added an unbelievable 637 individuals to the site this month.  I KNEW I had been busy but that number of new folks still surprised me.  Even the Additions and Changes page is longer than usual.  Remember, I do not download GEDCOMs.

                                      A very lot of these folks are descendants of Jemima Jackson Arnold's daughter, Mary 'Polly' Arnold Knotts.  Since I was able to put a lot of birth, marriage and death vital records in the folks' Notes, all of this may be of more interest to folks named Knotts.  But they all had a Jackson ancestor so I included them.

                                      Another researcher, Ken Kirch, has sent me info on some of the descendants of Robert Ayers and Anna Jackson (1746-1816), d/o General Joseph Jackson and Mary Ann Robinson.  This is very welcome and may open up new areas for research.

                                      I also went through the whole list adding 'deceased' into the record of anyone born in 1903 that previously was considered LIVING.  Now those folks will show up.  I continue to ask that if you know of any death date for someone listed as LIVING, that you will let me know, so that they can show on the site.

                                      Update on Jerry:  He's at Fort Hood, Texas for training and will probably leave for Iraq sometime in February.

                                      So have a look at the Additions and Corrections Page.  There's a lot there.
                                      http://www.jacksonfamilygenealogy.com/pages/additionsandchanges.htm

                                      Till next time,
                                      Janie Jackson Kimble
                                      http://www.jacksonfamilygenealogy.com