Y-DNA Genealogical Research

  • JohnRMcAnally@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2005
      List
          I lurk in on the Genealogy-DNA mail list. It is the most active list that exists I think. Some 2500 messages in March of this year. We really are at the cutting edge of research in this subject of genetic genealogy.
          I must warn you all that some new research has proven some of our previous statements about Y-DNA to be wrong. It had always been thought that the area of the Y-DNA that was being tested for genealogical purposes was from what they call "junk" strands. Well guess what, some research has been done and the DYS 464 markers (four) evidently happens to be an area that they can now tell if a man is infertile. So we must correct our message and let it be known that this is the case and now I also think since it could happen about infertility, it could happen about anything. I don't see it as a problem, but some people I'm sure will be concerned.
          I still don't know what signifies infertility in the marker DYS464 and will get back to you in that regard.
          One other problem that has been discussed is that the different genetic companies and foundations do not report the same marker values in the same manner.
                                                                              Mc
    • JohnRMcAnally@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 7, 2005
        Further clarification on the infertility information via DYS464. Talked to a Gene Jackson, who is a brother of a participant on Mary Theiss's Jackson Project. Gene is a geneticist and expained to me that what happens on the Y-DNA in cases of infertility. The junk DNA that is used to determine the DYS464 informatioin is next to but not part of the gene for fertility. When the male is infertile the gene is missing and it happens that the DYS464 location is so near the gene that it is also missing in the case of an infertile male. So when you sign up for a 37 marker test if the values for DYS454 are missing then you are infertile.
                                                    Mc