FW: [OxfordCycling:10196] Please write one letter today!!!

  • LOGAN, ROBERT L
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 22, 2011

      Here is a follow up from the Oxford club.  Chris called Forrest Allgood's office and spoke with him.  Below is his response.

      Thanks,

      Rob Logan

      Customer Account Manager

      (Int) : 8-424-6580

      (Ext) : 601-925-6580

      (Cell) : 601-940-5935

      P Go green! Enroll in My Account Online and turn off your paper bill! Because every day is Earth Day at Entergy!

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 22, 2011
        Hey All, please don't flame me for this, as I truly want to know how everyone feels.

        Jan Morgan has been on my mind from the moment I heard about her accident.  As some of the details came out, I could not help to vilify the person who hit her, certainly the driver was drunk or on drugs, etc.  But, according to the email below, the driver may have only been  a "distracted driver" by using a cell phone or something.

        So, what is the difference between a horrific accident and a felony?  How many of us have used their cell phone while driving today?  How many have texted and drove today?

        I almost hit a cyclist in the round-about a month ago.  I was on the inside lane "turning left".  I typically merge right into the outside lane at Highland Colony in order to turn right onto Agency Parkway.  I was very fortunate to catch the cyclist in a shadow right next to me.  He was actually going through the round-about faster than I was.  I was not on the phone, I was not in a hurry and nothing major had my attention. I never saw the cyclist coming from the right and entering the round-about. Yet, the cyclist and I were almost "at the wrong place at the wrong time".  Had I hit him, did I deserve to go to jail for some long long period of time?

        Believe me, I understand, and tell my husband, children and parents, that I could possibly be hit and killed while participating in my sport.  It is a chance I take.  Yes, if a person meant me harm and ran over me I would want them punished.  But what if it was a horrific accident?

        Please, please be careful out there - it could be your 4 wheels (or those of your 16 year old texting teenager) involved in a car vs bike accident.

        Michelle

        To: jacksonmetrocyclists@yahoogroups.com

> [...]

        >> Sent from my Cellular South BlackBerry® Smartphone
        >>
        >> From: Don Feitel <dfeitel@...>
        >> Sender: oxfordcycling@...
        >> Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 13:55:03 -0500
        >> To: <oxfordcycling@...>
        >> ReplyTo: oxfordcycling@...
        >> Subject: Re: [OxfordCycling:10189] Please write one letter today!!!
        >>
        >> I got it, so i think everyone did.
        >> _________________
        >> Don Feitel
        >> dfeitel@...
        >> www.DonFeitel.com
        >>

        >> On Jun 22, 2011, at 1:53 PM, Robert Garrett wrote:
        >>
        >>> I just called Forrest Allgood's office and spoke with him.
        >>>
        >>> Please respond and let me know you all got this email and if you did then I will tell you what they said. I don't think my emails are going through and I don't want to waist time writing the email if it won't go through.

      • Jason Horne
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 22, 2011

          I agree with Michelle.  Intent matters.    What we do is inherently dangerous only because of the second car.  The first car behind us should easily see us.  A second car following that car does not see us until the first car is by us.  The second car only has 1-2 seconds to correct if they are veering.  I don’t want my neighbors facing the possibility of 20 years in Parchman because they glanced at the clouds for 2 seconds.   I am the one accepting this high risk.  Most people would repeal our privilege if they realized they were accepting that much risk, too.

> [...]

          >> Sent from my Cellular South BlackBerry® Smartphone
          >>
          >> From: Don Feitel <dfeitel@...>
          >> Sender: oxfordcycling@...
          >> Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 13:55:03 -0500
          >> To: <oxfordcycling@...>
          >> ReplyTo: oxfordcycling@...
          >> Subject: Re: [OxfordCycling:10189] Please write one letter today!!!
          >>
          >> I got it, so i think everyone did.
          >> _________________
          >> Don Feitel
          >> dfeitel@...
          >> www.DonFeitel.com
          >>

          >> On Jun 22, 2011, at 1:53 PM, Robert Garrett wrote:
          >>
          >>> I just called Forrest Allgood's office and spoke with him.
          >>>
          >>> Please respond and let me know you all got this email and if you did then I will tell you what they said. I don't think my emails are going through and I don't want to waist time writing the email if it won't go through.

        • Keith Davis
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 22, 2011
            I would agree with you if she just hit her once. It's the second time that gives me heartburn. If hitting someone on a bike and then hitting them again while they are lying on the ground is a misdemeanor, then our laws are extremely weak and useless. What in the hell was going on? First we heard that she was trying to flee the scene. Now the story is that she was trying to move her car out of the road. Either way, this should not have happened. If the driver was so upset, she should not have been allowed to get back behind the wheel. At the very least, the driver should have her driving privileges suspended for a year.

            Sent from my iPad

          • kevinc_1313
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 22, 2011
              I agree with the two of you. Someone shouldn't got to jail, at least not for 20 years, for a complete accident. However, Robbie Norton showed no concern for Jan Morgan's life.

              This is transcribed directly from the Crash Report narrative

              THE CYCLIST WAS WEST BOUND ON MS50 NEAR THE TRULOVE LOOP INTERSECTION. V1 WAS WEST BOUND ON MS50 APPROACHING THE CYCLIST FROM THE REAR. THE FRONT OF V1 COLLIDED WITH THE REAR OF THE BICYCLE. THE IMPACT THREW THE CYCLIST INTO THE AIR BEFORE LANDING ON THE HOOD OF V1 AND ONTO THE WINDSHIELD. V1 CONTINUED FOR A FEW FEET BEFORE COMING TO A STOP. THE CYCLIST WAS THEN THROWN TO THE ASPHALT WHEN V1 STOPPED. THE DRIVER OF V1 EXITED THE VEHICLE AND OBSERVED THE CYCLIST WHILE TALKING ON THE PHONE. D1 THEN REENTERED HER VEHICLE AND RAN THE CYCLIST OVER AGAIN BEFORE BEING FORCED FROM HER VEHICLE BY WITNESSES. V1 CAME TO FINAL REST FACING WEST IN THE WEST BOUND LANE ON MS 50 JUST METERS WEST OF THE TRULOVE LOOP INTERSECTION. THE CYCLIST CAME TO FINAL REST NEAR THE RIGHT FRONT TIRE OF V1.

              The fact that she got back into her car and ran over Jan Morgan again makes it an offense worthy of jail time. The lady obviously didn't car at all that she had just possibly taken a persons life. I have also heard rumors(I don't know the full story but hope it will be available at some point) that the lady got out of the car yelling "what were ya'll doing in the middle of the road?!" I have also heard she tried to get back into the car a third time. Robbie Norton has not tried to contact David Morgan in any way. Nor has she shown any remorse for her actions. Maybe she can't for insurance reasons. Either way I don't feel safe riding my bike on that road. It sucks to be afraid to ride a route I've enjoyed previously.

              On a positive note we've just received news that Jan Morgan is trying to talk! She called David Morgan "D-Mo" his nickname.

              Kevin Conerly
            • Rich A
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 22, 2011
                If you got back in your car knowing the cyclist you just hit was under your bumper then you are guilty of felony for total disregard of human life.

              • jlo111@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 22, 2011

                  By this line of thinking, anything anyone does while they are distracted (on the phone, texting, clouds, etc.) is not their fault. So when are people responsible for their actions? Part of driving is paying attention to what's going on around you.

                  What would apply if Jan had been either a pedestrian, or in a car and had been hit and injured as she is?

                  Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                  From: "Jason Horne" <jason@...>
                  Sender: JacksonMetroCyclists@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 15:43:39 -0500
                  To: 'Jacksonmetrocyclists'<jacksonmetrocyclists@yahoogroups.com>
                  Subject: RE: [JMC] Horrific accident vs. felony

> [...]

                  >> Sent from my Cellular South BlackBerry® Smartphone
                  >>
                  >> From: Don Feitel <dfeitel@...>
                  >> Sender: oxfordcycling@...
                  >> Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 13:55:03 -0500
                  >> To: <oxfordcycling@...>
                  >> ReplyTo: oxfordcycling@...
                  >> Subject: Re: [OxfordCycling:10189] Please write one letter today!!!
                  >>
                  >> I got it, so i think everyone did.
                  >> Don Feitel
                  >> dfeitel@...
                  >> www.DonFeitel.com
                  >>

                  >> On Jun 22, 2011, at 1:53 PM, Robert Garrett wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> I just called Forrest Allgood's office and spoke with him.
                  >>>
                  >>> Please respond and let me know you all got this email and if you did then I will tell you what they said. I don't think my emails are going through and I don't want to waist time writing the email if it won't go through.

                • Jennifer Hutchinson