Great Event

  • Sheri Bush
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 18, 2009
      This was sent to me, and I wish I could go.  It is going to be a great event for those interested in photos.

      Indiana Historical Society Welcomes "Photo Detective" Maureen Taylor

      Indianapolis-The Indiana Historical Society is pleased to welcome Maureen Taylor, also known as "The Photo Detective," to its Frank and Katrina Basile Theater on Tuesday, March 10, at 7 p.m. The Eugene and Marilyn Glick Indiana History Center, home of the IHS, is located at 450 W. Ohio St. in downtown Indianapolis.

      Ms. Taylor, an internationally recognized expert on the intersection of history, genealogy and photography, has been featured in several top media outlets, including "Today," "The View," The Wall Street Journal, Martha Stewart Living and Better Homes & Gardens. She is the author of numerous books and magazine articles as well as a contributing editor at Family Tree Magazine.

      For the past 10 years, Taylor has employed a variety of diagnostic techniques, combining genealogy, art history, costume history and cultural anthropology in her work to date and identify the subjects in photos. The Wall Street Journal has called her "the nation's foremost historical photo detective."

      Cost for the evening presentation is $10 for the general public and $8 for IHS members. Reservations are recommended, as seating will be limited. This program has been made possible through a matching grant from the Indiana Humanities Council in cooperation with the National Endowment for the Humanities. For more information on this and other IHS programs, call (800) 447-1830 or visit www.indianahistory.org. For more information about Ms. Taylor, visit her Web site at www.photodetective.com.

      Individuals who have a mystery photo in their personal collections and need some expert advice can also sign up for a 15-minute private consultation with Ms. Taylor-for the past 10 years, she's provided in-depth analysis of historical photos. Consultations will be scheduled during the day on Tuesday, March 10. Cost is $25 and is separate from the evening presentation-more details on what the session will entail are available at www.indianahistory.org.

      Since 1830, the Indiana Historical Society has been Indiana's Storyteller(tm), connecting people to the past by collecting, preserving, interpreting, and disseminating the state's history. A private, nonprofit membership organization, the IHS also publishes books and periodicals; sponsors teacher workshops; provides youth, adult and family programming; provides support and assistance to local museums and historical groups; and maintains the nation's premier research library and archives on the history of Indiana and the Old Northwest.

      ###

      High-resolution images of Ms. Taylor and photo-related scenes are available upon request, and interviews with Ms. Taylor may also be available (schedule-dependent). For more information, contact Amy Lamb, Media Relations Manager, at (317) 232-1878 or alamb@....

      Best regards,

      Amy Lamb
      Media Relations Manager
      Indiana Historical Society
      Eugene and Marilyn Glick Indiana History Center
      450 W. Ohio St.
      Indianapolis, IN 46202
      (317) 232-1878 phone
      (317) 234-0079 fax
      alamb@...

      Indiana's Storyteller(tm)- Connecting People to the Past

      --
      Sheri^..^
      Jackson Co. INGenWeb Coordinator