Re: [J_D_G_DunnSeminar] Orality and Jesus' own creativity

    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2001
      Dear Octavian Baban,
      Apologies for the delay in replying - I had server problems for 48 hours -
      but all seems OK now.
      Thanks for the question. Yes, we should certainly consider the
      likelihood that Jesus made the same points/told the same or similar parables
      on more than one occasion. Tne parable of the talents/pounds could be a good
      example.
      If, as always, we take the character of the Synoptic tradition as our
      guide, then we have to allow for the following options for a start -
      (1) Jesus was remembered as saying something similar more than once - hence
      diverse traditions;
      (2) The same (single) teaching impacted different disciples differently and
      was put into tradition in different ways;
      (3) Two (or more) different teaching on the same theme were conformed to each
      other/consolidated into a single tradition in the course of the traditioning
      process.
      I hope this helps.
      JDGD