Re: [J_D_G_DunnSeminar] Another Response

    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2001
      Dear Clive Jacks,
      Apologies for the delay in replying - I had server problems for 48 hours
      - but all seems OK now.
      Thanks for your question. Our understandings of the process are not far
      apart.
      Perhaps the main difference is that I assume that when churches were
      established beyond Palestine, part of the founding process was instruction in
      a large body of Jesus tradition. I doubt if there were churches founded
      simply on a kerygmatic formula like 1 Cor. 15.3ff, and a few bits and pieces
      of Jesus tradition such as Paul may have used in his teaching. I suspect
      the process was much more deliberate and even 'formal' than that. The fact
      that 'teachers' feature so prominently in the early churches gives my
      hypothesis more weight. In other words, I envisage substantial continuity
      of tradition from Palestine/Aramaic to diaspora/Greek.
      So, yes, when Mark's Gospel reached some new churches we should not
      assume that this was the first time these churches had heard any of these
      traditions. Almost certainly, in many cases they had their own version -
      and Matthew, e.g., could then pick and choose between Mark's version and his
      oral version (or q/Q).
      Fundamental to my understanding of the process is that the Synoptics
      represent that process and do not constitute a major disruption of or
      departure from it. It is the stability/variability within the Synoptic
      tradition itself which provides the clue to the whole process. Which is
      also to say that an Evangelist's redactional interests are best understood as
      fairly typical of the oral performances through which the tradition had
      passed.
      I hope this helps.
      JDGD