Re: [J_D_G_DunnSeminar] Community control

  • Robert M. Schacht
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29 2:39 PM
      Professor Dunn,

      In using Bailey's work, you place emphasis on the role of the community in
      regulating how the central core of a story is retained. However,
      transferring that concern to the center of your theory of oral memory about
      the Gospels implies that internal believer to believer dialogue among
      Christians was more important in the development of the Gospels than
      evangelism (believer to non-believer.) This clearly calls for some
      additional justification that is very different from the context Bailey
      dealt with.
      Perhaps we have two partially opposing forces: the conservatism of the body
      of believers, who "know" the story, against the needs of evangelism to
      adapt text to convince the unbelievers. How can Bailey's theory be adapted
      more convincingly to an evangelical situation?

      Bob
      Robert M. Schacht, Ph.D.
      Northern Arizona University
      Flagstaff, AZ
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2001
        Dear Bob,
        We don't need to push these two scenarios into straight opposition,
        do
        we? I've referred to Moule's Birth of the NT more than once in this
        dialogue,
        including the point that the tradition was used in different contexts
        and for
        different purposes - which no doubt influenced the shape of the
        tradition in
        various ways.
        The three points that I would want to press are: (1) the present
        character
        of the Synoptic tradition still shows how that shaping process took
        place, not
        least the stabilities and variabilities; (2) the dominant role of the
        wandering charismatics (Theissen) - equivalent to your evangelists? - is
        overstated, though if you want an example of evangelistic shaping maybe
        you
        need look no further than John's Gospel; (3) the importance of tradition
        for
        community-formation, and the corresponding role of community in
        tradition
        transmission.
        Apologies for the delay in replying - I had server problems for 48
        hours - but all seems OK now.
        Jimmy