Oral Tradition vs Oral Performance

  • David C. Hindley
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 26, 2001
      Professor Dunn,

      Like others, I thank you for taking the time to engage in this
      seminar. For a long time I have been telling myself that I need to
      become more familiar with the issues surrounding transmission of oral
      information. This seminar has given me the excuse to start, and so I
      thank you!

      However, there is something about your treatment of oral transmission
      that has me baffled. Milmon Parry and Albert Lord, along with the vast
      majority of oral critics outside of the biblical scene, were and are
      concentrating on the transmission of oral epic. From a memorized theme
      and through a process of creative expansion of points in the theme by
      means of traditional formulae, the story is told anew each time.
      However, we are dealing with the transmission of stories. Oral studies
      of this sort may be applicable to some degree with regard to
      transmission of stories *about* Jesus, but I have the uneasy feeling
      that you are applying conclusions about oral epic transmission too
      broadly outside of that genre.

      John Miles Foley, in _Oral-Formularic Theory and Research_ (New York:
      Garland, 1985), demands "as grounds for comparison among traditions
      nothing less than the closest generic fit available, and, further,
      calibrating any and all comparisons according to the comparability of
      the genres examined. <...> More analysis needs to be done of the many
      non-epic forms of different traditions, particularly where
      well-collected and indisputably oral material exists on one side or
      the other. We need to know how other genres work, to what degree they
      conform to the laws of epic oral narrative and to what degree they
      have their own distinctive dynamics." (pg. 69)

      The phrase "well-collected" resonates with me, especially with regard
      to the article by Kenneth Bailey in Asia Journal of Theology. Unable
      to find a library with this journal (or its reprint in Themelios) not
      enough detail is given in your article (or a summary of Bailey's
      article I found on the web at
      http://pw2.netcom.com/~matt1618/oraltrad.htm) to help me determine
      whether subjective opinions about the traditions involved had been
      allowed to interfere with his collection of traditions and their
      subsequent analysis. I have not seen much indication of methodological
      rigor.

      So, do you think we are really in a sound enough position,
      methodologically, to apply Bailey's observations to the gospel
      accounts? I am almost coming away with the feeling that you are more
      concerned with absolving the gospel writers of a charge of generating
      partisan propaganda, even if it means admitting they were not relaying
      a true historical account due to the natural characteristics of an
      oral transmission process.

      Your first case study of J. G. Herder is interesting. Herder, as a
      philosopher of history, was of the opinion that individual points of
      historical detail can have the appearance of contradiction or
      incoherence, but they are realities which are "not so much to be
      explained as simply to be *explained away* by appeal to the presumed
      harmonization of the parts in the whole over the long run." (Hayden
      White, _Metahistory_, Baltimore: Johns Hopkins U.P., 1973, pg. 72,
      emphasis in original). To Herder, "when properly understood, all the
      evidence of disjunction and conflict displayed in the historical
      record adds up to a drama of divine, human, and natural
      *reconciliation* of the sort figured in the drama of redemption in the
      Bible." (pg. 79, emphasis, again, is in original)

      With all due respect, then, I have to ask: Do you have similar
      feelings about the apparent contradictions of the gospels accounts, or
      of their ultimate significance? Does Herder posses a greater,
      philosophical, significance to you than merely being the first to
      bring up the issue of "oral saga?"

      Regards,

      Dave Hindley
      Cleveland, Ohio, USA
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2001
        Dear Dave Hindley,
        Apologies for the delay in replying - I had server problems for 48 hours
        - but all seems OK now.
        I don't recall the earlier question. If I missed it, my apologies.
        'A desire to romantically emplot the historical record' - hmm! sounds
        serious! Since I'm something of a romantic myself I may have to plead
        somewhat guilty - if I fully understand the charge!
        The main difference between Papias and me (if I may put it so) is that I
        envisage an intermediate role for a community-driven traditioning process.
        But that need not be a major difference, since one may imagine that Peter had
        a formative influence on the shape and content of many of the traditions
        involving him - as e.g. Vincent Taylor frequently surmised, and usually with
        good reason.
        I'm not sufficiently familiar with Herder to follow up on your
        penultimate para.
        As I've indicated in a number of responses now, my concern has always
        been to make best sense of the character of the Synoptic tradition as we
        still have it in our current Synopses. It just seems to me that a realistic
        conception of the oral traditioning process helps considerably towards that
        'best sense'. If my envisioning of that process a la Bailey is incurably
        romantic, then so be it.
        Thanks for coming back again.
        JDGD