Re: [J_D_G_DunnSeminar] extending the notion of "oral performance"

    Message 1 of 3 , May 6, 2001
      Dear Tony Prete,

      Thanks for the message. Yes, I had in mind the parallel with
      Israel's
      celebration of its sacred tradition and think it throws light on the
      traditioning process in the Jesusbtradition.
      Several of the contributers seem to think primarily in terms of the
      initial
      evangelistic/church-founding part ofnthe process. That of course is
      important. But for me the norm would be more the established community
      celebrating in its regular gatherings the shared tradition. Perhaps we
      should
      distinguish three scenarios for analytic purposes.
      1) The church-founding/community-constituting preaching and teaching.
      envisage this as a substantial process. Not just an evangelistic hit
      and run,
      leaving the new group with a few slogans of faith. But
      teaching/inducting
      into the Jesus tradition as part of the founding process itself -
      building the
      tradition-foundation of the new church. Alternatively expressed,
      making the
      community sufficiently familiar, in some detail, with the identifying
      story
      that they could identify themselves to themselves and others.
      2) The regular gatherings where those responsible within the community
      (elders/teachers) would teach again, or together they would
      consider/celebrate
      parts of the tradition for theis edification and instruction.
      3) Visits from other apostles/prophets;emissaries, where the means of
      testing
      the prophecies and gospel preached would be the foundationg
      teaching/tradition
      first given. Paul seems to appeal to this test procedure on several
      occasions.
      Thanks for the stimulus.
      JDGD