Re: [J_D_G_DunnSeminar] Sequence and selection

    Message 1 of 11 , May 6, 2001
      Dear Daniel, Apologies for the delay in replying - had to take a couple of
      days
      off on family business (including seeing my daughter in a tremendous
      performance of Sondheim's A Little Night Music in Leicester.
      Do you really think the parallels you suggest represent the reality of a
      community which lives entirely by oral memory and rehearses its tradition on a
      regular basis to confirm and affirm its identity?
      With respect to Bailey, I would suggest one of the strengths of my
      proposal is that Bailey's model (if we may speak of it so) matches the
      character of the Jesus tradition; there is an important element of mutual
      confirmation, or the suggested beginning and continuation of the process
      fitting so well into what we can still see to be its end product.
      It certainly allows for elaboration, aggregation and various other
      performance and transmission variations. And are we in danger of
      exaggerating the fixity and fullness of the mission commission material? its
      combination of stability and variableness, including the two commissions in
      Luke 9 and 10, fits well with my model.
      Thanks again,
      Jimmy Dunn