Re: [J_D_G_DunnSeminar] Neusner & Mnemonic Systems

    Message 1 of 2 , May 6, 2001
      Dear David Hindley,
      Apologies for the delay in replying - had to take a couple of days
      off on family business (including seeing my daughter in a tremendous
      performance of Sondheim's A Little Night Music in Leicester.
      Thanks for coming back. Neusner, I took it, was apologizing for
      the
      blanket dismissal of BG on the grounds that the rabbinic material was so
      much
      later. And the implication is that the traditions, or at least the
      traditioning processes might well go back a good deal further. At any
      rate,
      the grounds for the blanket dismissal are much less sound that Smith
      allowed.

      That's certainly a welcome reassessment of a position unfairly
      maligned
      and dismissed by the Smith-type response. The very fact that the
      Gospels
      can speak of the tradition of the elders and Paul can speak of handing
      on
      traditions, should have been clear enough evidence that traditioning
      processes were well established in Pharisaic circles at the time of
      Jesus.
      But I would have to do a lot more study of rabbinic traditions before I
      could
      comment further to good effect.
      The question mark I place againt BG's thesis is a different one.
      'Memorizing' does not provide the obvious key to the Jesus tradition as
      we
      have it. Certainly there is an element of it in the stabilities of the
      tradition (as one memorizes the punch line of a punch line joke); but
      the
      punch line is not the whole joke; and the stable matter is not the
      whole
      tradition. So we need a more comprehensive model - which Bailey's
      'informal
      controlled' model provides.