88Re: [J_D_G_DunnSeminar] Orality in Literary Composition

    May 2, 2001
      ear Stephen Carlston,
      Apologies for the delay in replying - I had server problems for 48 hours
      - but all seems OK now.
      Thanks for the question. I'm sure much if not most writing in the
      earliest days of the churches was by dictation - as we see most obviously
      (and explicitly) in Paul's letters.
      Yes, that would bring in some degree of variability - most obvious when
      the letter dictationer (can't say dictator) quoted something from memory -
      again illustrated by quotations from/allusions to the OT in the NT. All the
      more so when the scribe was left some freedom in 'writing up' what had been
      dictated (was dictation word for word, or substance as to a good PA?). But
      is all that best described as/included within the concept of orality?
      JDGD