Re: Trinity Q&A

  • teddy_trueblood
    Message 1 of 50 , Sep 15, 2007

      The Jews were wrongly accusing Jesus of making himself equal to God in the authority to change the Law.

      Jesus had just healed a man on the Sabbath.  Jewish tradition had added numerous restrictions to the Sabbath law over the years.

      Jesus would certainly not break the Law which was still in effect until his sacrificial death.

      So, when the Jews accused him of making himself equal to God (by "breaking" the Sabbath traditions of the Jews and claiming that it was not wrong to heal on the Sabbath), they were insisting that their tradition of not healing on the Sabbath was actually God's will.  And, therefore, Jesus' claim that it was lawful to do so was "making himself equal to God" (in this case of healing and "changing" the Law - which would be God's right alone).As for calling God his Father making him equal to God, this is pure hypocrisy. I'm sure you can find numerous places where scripture shows others calling God their Father. Jesus even showed us to pray to "Our Father in heaven."

      --- In JWquestions-and_answers@yahoogroups.com, rgwir <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > John 5:18 says:
      >
      > "For this reason therefore the Jews were seeking all the more to kill Him, because He not only was breaking the Sabbath, but also was calling God His own Father, making Himself equal with God."
      >
      > What is this scripture saying?

    • phidalgo123
      Message 50 of 50 , Jun 17, 2009
        They were obviously seeking ways to simply make Jesus look bad, they all hated him because of him being honest and outspoken.

        7But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to where he was baptizing, he said to them: "You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the coming wrath? Mathew 3:7

        33And when the demon was driven out, the man who had been mute spoke. The crowd was amazed and said, "Nothing like this has ever been seen in Israel."

        34But the Pharisees said, "It is by the prince of demons that he drives out demons."

        Mathew 9:33,34

        2Some Pharisees came and tested him by asking, "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife?"

        Mark 10:2
        So we see that they used everything Jesus said to disprove him before the people somehow.

        --- In JWquestions-and_answers@yahoogroups.com, Steve Klemetti