Re: [JWquestions-and_answers] Re: Have Some Animals Always Eaten Meat?

  • Antonio Santana
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 13, 2007

      ***

      ip-2 chap. 26 pp. 388-389 pars. 33-34 "Be Joyful Forever in What I Am Creating" ***

      How far-reaching will the promised peace and security be? Jehovah concludes this portion of the prophecy: "'The wolf and the lamb themselves will feed as one, and the lion will eat straw just like the bull; and as for the serpent, his food will be dust. They will do no harm nor cause any ruin in all my holy mountain,' Jehovah has said." (Isaiah 65:25) When the faithful Jewish remnant return to their homeland, they will be under Jehovah's care. A lion will, in effect, eat straw like a bull, for the lion will do no harm to the Jews or their domestic animals. This promise is sure, for it concludes with the words, "Jehovah has said." And his word always comes true!—Isaiah 55:10, 11.

      Jehovah's words are finding a thrilling fulfillment among true worshipers today. Since 1919, God has blessed the spiritual land of his people, transforming it into a spiritual paradise. Those coming into this spiritual paradise make remarkable changes in their lives. (Ephesians 4:22-24) With the help of God's spirit, individuals who at one time had beastlike personalities—who perhaps exploited or otherwise victimized their fellowman—make progress in taming undesirable traits. As a result, they enjoy peace and unity of worship with fellow believers. The blessings now enjoyed by Jehovah's people in their spiritual paradise will extend into the physical Paradise, where the peace prevailing among humans will be matched by peace with the animals. We can be sure that in God's due time, his original commission to mankind will be properly carried out: "Subdue [the earth], and have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and every living creature that is moving upon the earth."—Genesis 1:28.

      On 9/13/07, betsyrains <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      But if God is going to have them eat straw in the future, then why did He make them as meateaters to begin with? Or is Isa. 65:25 actually a metaphor?

      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 13, 2007
        What makes you think they were meat eaters in the beginning? It is not so stated anywhere in scripture.

        Jehovah did say after creating animals that it was "good". I don't think he meant "good" tasting.

        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 14, 2007
          That where personal study comes in. There are many articles in the publications that addresses the issue of animal creation. Look it up.

          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 14, 2007
            That it a good suggestion, Jabriol.

            Here is a link to a GREAT Watchtower article specifically about animal creation:

            I highly recommend it.

            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 14, 2007
              Yep,

              Such as:

              *** w61 12/15 pp. 766-767 Questions From Readers ***

              Questions From Readers

              • When, in Genesis 1:30, God says: “To every wild beast of the earth and to every flying creature of the heavens and to everything moving upon the earth in which there is life as a soul I have given all green vegetation for food,” are we to understand that this absolutely excludes the idea that any animals ate meat at that time or before that? And on this basis are we to conclude that all animals will be vegetarian in the new world? How, then, can we account for the meat-eating birds, insects, reptiles and other animals with their poisonous fangs, hunting prowess, and so forth, apparently given them at creation and admirably equipping them as meat eaters?

              Genesis 1:30, as just quoted, does not say that God had given “all green vegetation for food” to the wild beasts, the flying creatures and everything moving upon the earth in addition to what meat or flesh they could catch by hunting. The verse just ahead tells us that God said to Adam and Eve: “Here I have given to you all vegetation bearing seed which is on the surface of the whole earth and every tree on which there is the fruit of a tree bearing seed. To you let it serve as food.” (Gen. 1:29) We do not understand this to mean that Adam and Eve could eat animals that lived on grass and other vegetation, and that in eating such animals minus their blood Adam and Eve were eating vegetation indirectly, inasmuch as, to begin with, the animals ate the vegetation and then Adam and Eve ate the animals that lived on such vegetation to convert it into flesh. No! But it is evident that God set the perfect man and woman on a vegetarian diet, without suggesting even dairy products.

              Of course, the Bible says a lot about zoology, but the Bible is no exhaustive treatise on all zoological matters. It therefore leaves in a lower or secondary position the discussing of details about the lower animal creation. It fixes first attention on Jehovah’s superior earthly creature, man, and specializes on that. Hence the facts about wild beasts, domestic beasts, flying creatures and insects are spoken of only incidentally, or in illustrations.

              So, if the Bible itself does not give any answer to these questions about those creatures lower than man, it does not mean that there is no answer to the questions that is consistent with the Bible. It simply means that we are not to preoccupy ourselves with such questions. One big fact we must remember: that we humans are living and all these birds, insects and other animals are living in a system of things that has obtained since Jehovah God legalized man’s eating animal flesh minus its blood. Accordingly, if man has been eating animal flesh and insects for four thousand three hundred years and has teeth that can be adapted to eating such solid food as flesh, it is not strange that birds, insects and other animals should be also living on flesh that they hunt for and catch.

              As to the preflood situation on the diet of man and animals, we may take the situation in Noah’s ark as an illustration. Under God’s instructions Noah and his family were to take into the ark wild beasts, domestic animals, flying creatures and birds, two each (male and female) of the unclean kind, and seven each of the clean kind. Besides this, Noah was to take into the ark every sort of food that is eaten to “serve as food for you and for them.” (Gen. 6:19-22) Now Noah had no deepfreeze unit nor any refrigeration installation to preserve processed flesh foods in the ark. The seven sheep, seven bulls and cows, seven goats, two horses, two pigs, and so forth, that Noah took into the ark would hardly have been enough flesh food for the two lions, two tigers and two of the other wild flesh-eating beasts of today to live on in the ark during the flood. Noah was not instructed to carry on a slaughterhouse in the ark to feed the wild beasts with flesh foods. Nor was he told to enmesh tremendous quantities of flying or creeping insects to provide fresh food for the creatures today devouring insects.

              Noah came out of the ark the following year with not less wild beasts, domestic animals, flying and creeping creatures and birds than he took into the ark. It is possible that he had more when he came out, due to the breeding of these lower creatures. Well, then, on what did every living thing in the ark live during those twelve lunar months and ten days, or one full solar year, shut up inside the ark? Certainly not on flesh, nor on one another.

              All those creatures, human and subhuman, were able to live without flesh for a whole year inside the ark. Why could not every one of those living creatures live without flesh during 1,656 years prior to the Flood, or back to the time when God specified to Adam and Eve in Eden what he had given to earthly creatures as food? And if they could subsist that way during the first 1,656 years of man’s existence, why can they not return to that way of life and keep living that way during the thousand-year reign of Jesus Christ and then for eternity? During his millennial reign Jesus Christ as King will have control over animal, bird, insect and fish life as well as over human life. He will regulate it according to God’s will and for the good of all creature life on earth. So we should not think only of the post-Flood side of the question and leave out of consideration the pre-Flood side of the question as if it had no bearing. Let us take the Bible position on the subject and not over-occupy ourselves with merely incidental matters to the extent of wasting time, thought and peace of heart and possibly stumbling ourselves into the camp of the godless evolutionists.

              On 9/13/07, Paul Leonard <anotherpaul2001@ yahoo.com> wrote:
              What makes you think they were meat eaters in the beginning? It is not so stated anywhere in scripture.

              Jehovah did say after creating animals that it was "good". I don't think he meant "good" tasting.

              betsyrains <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
              But if God is going to have them eat straw in the future, then why did He make them as meateaters to begin with? Or is Isa. 65:25 actually a metaphor?

              --- In JWquestions- and_answers@ yahoogroups. com, "Antonio Santana" <jabriol2000@ ...> wrote:
              > Animals were on the planets for millions of years. Some were meat
              > eaters other ate plants. And most like in the new world I will be
              > eating hamburger.

              --- In JWquestions- and_answers@ yahoogroups. com,  tik_of_totg no_reply@yahoogroup s.com wrote:
              >>Obviously, this isn't how it is now, but the Bible describes this future event:
              >>"The wolf and the lamb themselves will feed as one, and the lion will eat straw just like the bull; >>and as for the serpent, his food will be dust." (Isa. 65:25)
              >>So the question arises:
              >>Did Jehovah originally create some animals as meateaters, or did they have to adapt to the >>changed environment as humans did after the Flood? (Gen. 9:3)>

            • tik_of_totg
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 15, 2007
                Thanks for finding this article, Paul!

                I linked this post to the new "ANIMAL" Folder Q&A archive.

                --- In JWquestions-and_answers@yahoogroups.com, Paul Leonard
                <anotherpaul2001@...> wrote:

> [...]
                metaphor?

                > --- In JWquestions-and_answers@yahoogroups.com, "Antonio Santana"
                jabriol2000@ wrote:
                > > Animals were on the planets for millions of years. Some were meat
                > > eaters other ate plants. And most like in the new world I will be
                > > eating hamburger.
                >
                > --- In JWquestions-and_answers@yahoogroups.com, tik_of_totg
                no_reply@yahoogroup s.com wrote:
                > >>Obviously, this isn't how it is now, but the Bible describes this
                future event:
                > >>"The wolf and the lamb themselves will feed as one, and the lion
                will eat straw just like the bull; >>and as for the serpent, his food
                will be dust." (Isa. 65:25)
                > >>So the question arises:
                > >>Did Jehovah originally create some animals as meateaters, or did
                they have to adapt to the >>changed environment as humans did after the

              • Steve Klemetti
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 4, 2009
                  > On 9/11/07, <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                  >
                  >> So the question arises:
                  >>
                  >> Did Jehovah originally create some animals as meateaters, or did they
                  >>
                  > have to adapt to the changed environment as humans
                  >
                  >> did after the Flood? (Gen. 9:3)
                  >>

                  > Animals were on the planets for millions of years. Some were meat
                  > eaters other ate plants.

                  Where do you get this millions of years for animals?

                  Yes, animals were meat eaters for the food chain to eat dead animals.
                • Debralyn Potter
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 14, 2009
                    It is very clear animals were not meat eaters until after the flood. See:

                    Genesis 1: 29,30

                    I always thought they were huge and had the kind of teeth they had to eat down the vegetation of that time.

                    Can you imagine how the plant life would have been being as a huge green house?

                    love,debilyn

                    >> Did Jehovah originally create some animals as meateaters, or did they
                    >>
                    > have to adapt to the changed environment as humans
                    >
                    >> did after the Flood? (Gen. 9:3)
                    >>

                    > Animals were on the planets for millions of years. Some were meat
                    > eaters other ate plants.

                    Where do you get this millions of years for animals?

                    Yes, animals were meat eaters for the food chain to eat dead animals.

                  • hb0936
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 16, 2009
                      Debilyn,
                      Thanks for the scripture in Genesis. I have though that animals did not eat meat to begin with, but have always wondered. That scripture does make it clear. Thanks for sharing it.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 17, 2009
                        You are very welcome. Also my age old question where did dinosaurs go? The flood!

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 18, 2009

                          I have been enjoying everyone's input on this subject. It is always fascinating to consider a time so long ago.

                          Speaking of dinosaurs, I would like to share an excerpt from an Awake article that I found concerning dinosaurs entitled "When Did They Live?".  I hope that everyone finds it as interesting as I did:

                                                                                              When Did They Live?

                          "Dinosaurs played a dominant role in life on earth during their age. But then they came to an end. The rock layers containing human fossils consistently occur above those layers containing dinosaur fossils. Because of this, scientists generally conclude that humans came on the earthly scene later.

                          "In this regard the book Palaeontology, by James Scott, states: "Even the earliest species of Homo sapiens (man) lived long after the disappearance of the dinosaurs . . . After tilting (through earth movement) has been allowed for, rocks containing fossil men consistently occur above those preserving the bones of the great dinosaur reptiles and it follows that the latter belong to an earlier age than the human remains."

                          "In the Red Deer River valley, there is a layer of sedimentary rock that contains dinosaur bones. Just above this, there is a purplish-brown layer that follows the contour of the hillside. On top of the purplish-brown layer is a layer of brownish siltstone containing fossils of subtropical ferns, indicating a hot climate. Above this, there are several layers of coal. Farther up the hillside are coarser-grained layers of earth. There are no dinosaur bones in any of the higher layers.

                          "The book A Vanished World: The Dinosaurs of Western Canada states that "all of the 11 major kinds of dinosaurs . . . ceased to exist in the western interior at about the same time." This, and the fact that human bones have not been found with dinosaur bones, is why most scientists conclude that the Age of Dinosaurs ended before humans came on the scene.

                          "However, it should be noted that there are some who say that dinosaur bones and human bones are not found together because dinosaurs did not live in areas of human habitation. Such differing views demonstrate that the fossil record does not yield its secrets so easily and that no one on earth today really knows all the answers." - Awake 2/8/90 "Discovering `The Great Reptiles' of the Past" pp.7-11

                          --- In JWquestions-and_answers@yahoogroups.com, Debralyn Potter <dickenspollyarnie@...> wrote:

                          > You are very welcome. Also my age old question where did dinosaurs go? The flood!
                          >

                          > ________________________________

                        • teddy_trueblood
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 18, 2009
                            There is more evidence that dinosaurs died out before man came to be.
                            For example, the fossil record shows that no large mammals existed at
                            the same time the dinosaurs did. There are none in the undisturbed
                            lower layer of fossils where the dinosaurs are found.

                            Furthermore, the 'bones' of dinosaurs have been buried so long that they
                            have been completely replaced by minerals. Whereas many mammal bones,
                            including many long extinct species such as the wooly mammoth, are often
                            found to be the actual bone (and sometimes other tissue) of the
                            animal/person. In other words the large mammal fossils haven't been
                            buried long enough for complete mineralization to take effect.

                            --- In JWquestions-and_answers@yahoogroups.com, moto_bl <no_reply@...>
                            wrote:

> [...]
                            > western interior at about the same time." This, and the fact that
                            human
                            > bones have not been found with dinosaur bones, is why most scientists
                            > conclude that the Age of Dinosaurs ended before humans came on the
                            > scene.
                            >
                            > "However, it should be noted that there are some who say that dinosaur
                            > bones and human bones are not found together because dinosaurs did not
                            > live in areas of human habitation. Such differing views demonstrate
                            that
                            > the fossil record does not yield its secrets so easily and that no one
                            > on earth today really knows all the answers." - Awake 2/8/90
                            > "Discovering `The Great Reptiles' of the Past" pp.7-11
                            >

                            > --- In JWquestions-and_answers@yahoogroups.com, Debralyn Potter
                            > dickenspollyarnie@ wrote:
                            > >
                            > > You are very welcome. Also my age old question where did dinosaurs

                          • Debralyn Potter
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 19, 2009
                              That is sooo interesting!  Well somehow I don't believe I would want to live real close to dinosaurs who are more than three floors high lol

                              Knowing me I would be incubating the eggs and having pet ones......

                              Jehovah is so creative isn't he? love,debilyn