Re: NWT

  • tik_of_totg
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 22, 2007

         If one were to take the command extremely literally and never "kill", then the mere inadvertant action of stepping on a bug would have violated the commandment. One "kills" microscopic life just by brushing their teeth or by even breathing. To eat and survive, plant or animal life must be "killed" in the process.

         The Hebrew word in question (ra·tsach´) is variously rendered "kill," "murder," and "slay" depending on the context or other scriptures that determine whether the deliberate and unauthorized or unlawful taking of another person's life is involved.

         At Ex. 20:13, it clearly refers to deliberate and unlawful killing and so the New World Translation correctly renders it as "murder".

      --- In JWquestions-and_answers@yahoogroups.com, rgwir <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > in the king james it says in exodus 20:13 thou shalt not kill. but in
      > the nwt is says you must not murder.

    • A.J. Duff
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 23, 2007
        If that is the case all persons who aren't vegetarians are murderers.

        State Executioners would then be murderers, and after they perform executions that are legally binding and allowed By Jehovah (under CÆSAR's Law).

        In fact under the mosaic law, That would make Moses, every soldier, Even Priest Phineas all murderers

        The Angel that AT God's direction protected the nation of Israel and Killed 100,000 Assyrians

        I'm assuming we all believe that God has his reasons, and are believers in the True and literal word of the bible here now. I'm making that assumption

        That being the case, God told us to Not murder, but many instances where for either self defense, Defense of the people of Israel from outside groups, or the Defense of the moral purity of Jehovah's chosen people the capitol form of punishment and tools such as war, were used reaching those goals

        None of them are Murders, they were killing lawfully

        and Since that book in the old Hebrew testament said that as the soul of the man dies so does the beast.  Then we'd all have to become vegetarians because animals do have souls, and if we eat them then we're taking part in their killing which as they have souls if all killing of men is murder, then killing of animals who possess sentience, a type of intelligence (except for cows) and have souls according to ecclesiasties.

        So we're all giving up food, we're all allowing ourselves to be killed by assailants rather then exercise the legal and divine right of self defense, what else?
        kill & murder are the same. if you kill someone, then you murder someone. Either way they end up dead, non-existent.

        rgwir <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        in the king james it says in exodus 20:13 thou shalt not kill. but in
        the nwt is says you must not murder.

        why?