Re: Soul

  • rachaeljns
    Message 1 of 37 , Jun 27, 2007

      Fisseha,

      The scripture under consideration:

      (1 Thessalonians 5:23-24) 23 May the very God of peace sanctify YOU completely. And sound in every respect may the spirit and soul and body of YOU [brothers] be preserved in a blameless manner at the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 He who is calling YOU is faithful, and he will also do it.

      Context:

      (1 Thessalonians 5:1-5) 5 Now as for the times and the seasons, brothers, YOU need nothing to be written to YOU. 2 For YOU yourselves know quite well that Jehovah's day is coming exactly as a thief in the night. 3 Whenever it is that they are saying: "Peace and security!" then sudden destruction is to be instantly upon them just as the pang of distress upon a pregnant woman; and they will by no means escape. 4 But YOU, brothers, YOU are not in darkness, so that that day should overtake YOU as it would thieves, 5 for YOU are all sons of light and sons of day. We belong neither to night nor to darkness.

      Definition of "presence":

      The Greek noun pa·rou·si´a literally means a "being alongside," the expression being drawn from the preposition pa·ra´ (alongside) and ou·si´a (a "being"). The word pa·rou·si´a occurs 24 times in the Christian Greek Scriptures, namely, in Mt 24:3, 27, 37, 39; 1Co 15:23; 16:17; 2Co 7:6, 7; 10:10; Php 1:26; 2:12; 1Th 2:19; 3:13; 4:15; 5:23; 2Th 2:1, 8, 9; Jas 5:7, 8; 2Pe 1:16; 3:4, 12; 1Jo 2:28. In these 24 places the New World Translation renders pa·rou·si´a as "presence."

      The related verb pa´rei·mi literally means "be alongside." It occurs 24 times in the Christian Greek Scriptures, namely, in Mt 26:50; Lu 13:1; Joh 7:6; 11:28; Ac 10:21, 33; 12:20 (ftn); 17:6; 24:19; 1Co 5:3, 3; 2Co 10:2, 11; 11:9; 13:2, 10; Ga 4:18, 20; Col 1:6; Heb 12:11; 13:5; 2Pe 1:9, 12; Re 17:8. In these places the New World Translation renders pa´rei·mi as "(be) present" or "present himself."

      From the contrast that is made between the presence and the absence of Paul both in 2Co 10:10, 11 and in Php 2:12, the meaning of pa·rou·si´a is plain. Also, from the comparison of the pa·rou·si´a of the Son of man with the "days of Noah," in Mt 24:37-39, it is evident that this word means "presence."

      Liddell and Scott's A Greek-English Lexicon (LS), p. 1343, gives as the first definition of pa·rou·si´a the English word presence. Likewise TDNT, Vol. V, p. 859, states under the subheading "The General Meaning": "παρουσία [pa·rou·si´a] denotes esp[ecially] active presence."

      The word pa·rou·si´a, "presence," is different from the Greek word e´leu·sis, "coming," which occurs once in the Greek text, in Ac 7:52, as e·leu´se·os (Lat., ad·ven´tu). The words pa·rou·si´a and e´leu·sis are not used interchangeably. TDNT, Vol. V, p. 865, noted that "the terms [pa´rei·mi and pa·rou·si´a] are never used for the coming of Christ in the flesh, and παρουσία never has the sense of return. The idea of more than one parousia is first found only in the later Church [not before Justine, second century C.E.] . . . A basic prerequisite for understanding the world of thought of primitive Christianity is that we should fully free ourselves from this notion [of more than one parousia]."

      Compare with this scripture:

      (1 Corinthians 1:8) 8 He will also make YOU firm to the end ( Or, "finish." Gr., te´lous.), that YOU may be open to no accusation in the day ("Day," אAB; D, "presence"; Vg, "day of the advent.")  of our Lord Jesus Christ.

      My comment:

      We are not saying that this scripture only applies to the time period known as the "last days", "the time of the end", " the days of those kings", "the Lord's day", or "the presence of Christ". It seems to me to apply to both time periods. What Paul is saying here is that Christians he was addressing here, and those who read these words when copies were taken to other congregations at that time, should be mindful that it is the responsibility of all Christians to continue to serve God, and be faithful and obediant to Christ, until the end. This end is either the end of this world (not the earth, but of wicked human society opposed to God and his sovereignty) , or it is the end of their, and our lives. For those those in that early time of Christianity who remained faithful to death it was not the end of their lives; since they were saving their souls (their life [future] as a soul] since Jehovah would remember them and give authority to his son to ressurrect them in the "re-creation". For those who had the hope of going to heaven (as all those in the first century after the death and ressurrection of Christ had) this would be something that they would realize early on in the "parousia" of Christ . They had to mindful of their "spirit" or the "mental inclination" that they cultivated and demonstrated by their course of life.

      (Galatians 6:7-9) 7 Do not be misled: God is not one to be mocked. For whatever a man is sowing, this he will also reap; 8 because he who is sowing with a view to his flesh will reap corruption from his flesh, but he who is sowing with a view to the spirit will reap everlasting life from the spirit. 9 So let us not give up in doing what is fine, for in due season we shall reap if we do not tire out.

      They had to keep this "spirit" pure by avoiding everything condemned by God:

      (1 Corinthians 6:9-11) 9 What! Do YOU not know that unrighteous persons will not inherit God's kingdom? Do not be misled. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men kept for unnatural purposes, nor men who lie with men, 10 nor thieves, nor greedy persons, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit God's kingdom. 11 And yet that is what some of YOU were. But YOU have been washed clean, but YOU have been sanctified, but YOU have been declared righteous in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ and with the spirit of our God.

      In this latter case their "spirit" (mental inclination) was "washed clean" as they responded to the leading of God's Holy Spirit. They not only had to be spiritually clean, but physically clean also. Thus their body would be preserved in three ways : first, clean for God's service; second, preserved as alive in God's eyes; and third, preserved by being re-created from God's memory and given a body suitable for him. They would be "blameless"  if they kept these three things in mind so that they could "stand" at Christ presence: This is similar to thought behind the word for ressurection .

      The Greek word a·na´sta·sis literally means "raising up; standing up." It is used frequently in the Christian Greek Scriptures with reference to the resurrection of the dead. The Hebrew Scriptures at Hosea 13:14, quoted by the apostle Paul (1Co 15:54, 55), speak of the abolition of death and the rendering powerless of Sheol (Heb., she'ohl´; Gr., hai´des). She'ohl´ is rendered in various versions as "grave" and "pit." The dead are spoken of as going there. (Ge 37:35; 1Ki 2:6; Ec 9:10) Its usage in the Scriptures, along with the usage of its Greek equivalent hai´des in the Christian Greek Scriptures, shows that it refers, not to an individual grave, but to the common grave of mankind, gravedom. (Eze 32:21-32; Re 20:13) To render Sheol powerless would mean to loosen its hold on those in it, which would imply the emptying of gravedom. This, of course, would require a resurrection, a raising up from the lifeless condition of death or out of the grave for those there.

      Of course these words at 1 Thessalonians apply to us also who actually live in the foretold time which was future then, since the principles are the same. Though that does not mean that our destiny is the same:

      (Matthew 5:5) 5 "Happy are the mild-tempered ones, since they will inherit the earth.

      --- In JWquestions-and_answers@yahoogroups.com, Fisseha Dejene <fisseha_dejene@...> wrote:

      > Can you be more specific, please.
      >
      > If I take your word this is how I will be forced to use the words of Paul:
      >
      > 1Thess 5:23
      >
      > May the very God of peace sanctify YOU (or going to sanctify them from 1914 as per sttormfire's new definition) completely. And sound in every respect may the spirit and soul and body of YOU (or them as in above) be preserved in a blameless manner at the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ." (NWT)
      >
      > I sincerely hope this is not what you want.
      >
      > In Christ,

    • public_message
      Message 37 of 37 , Jan 10 3:11 PM