Re: [JWquestions-and_answers] Pray incessantly?

  • stormfire@mailforce.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 27, 2007
      The Greek word for unceasing is transliterated as "adialeiptos" is used
      in 1 Thessalonians and also means continual. So Paul is trying to
      emphasize that we pray continuously or frequently rather then always.

      The same form of the Greek word is found in Romans 9:2 where Paul
      describes himself as having unceasing "adialeiptos" pain in his heart
      for the unfavorable position fleshly Israel had taken in rejecting the
      new covenant.
      Clearly Paul did not always have this pain in heart otherwise he would
      have been a very unhappy man ... quite contrary to the fruitage of joy
      Christians are encouraged to cultivate (Galatians 5:22).

      Or another way to see it is this.
      The Greek adjective is a compound form of the negative of 2 Greek words
      Diav ( a channel through) and Leipos (leave behind). Putting that
      altogether adds up to Don't leave behind your praying.

      On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 17:00:37 -0000, "tik_of_totg"
      <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> said:

      > The shortest scripture in the NWT is 1 Thess. 5:17 and it says:
      >

      > "Pray incessantly."
      >
      > I was recently and (indirectly) posed the following question by a
      > person:
      >
      > "How can one pray without ever ceasing?"
      >
      > Unfortunately, I have not yet got back to him with my response. But
      > in the meantime, I thought that this would be an interesting question to
      > be up for discussion.
      >
      > Besides, amongst our member ranks we have some real good contributers
      > here and maybe I can pick up something good.
    • rachaeljns
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 27, 2007
        To me, one account in the Bible that illustrates the point brought out
        by Stormfire is that of Daniel. The reason why he was thrown into a den
        of lions is because he refused to cease, even temporarily, his routine
        of praying three times a day to Jehovah. This is not to say that we
        should set some sort of number of times a day that we have to pray, like
        Muslims do, but it should be something we do regularly and in a
        heartfelt and humble manner, and that is so important to us that we do
        not let the affairs of llife interfere with it. Daniels enemies knew
        that this was so important to him that he would not let anything stop
        him; even at the risk of his life.
      • Fisseha Dejene
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 27, 2007
          Dear all,

          The below is an excellent example of praying incessantly. I full agree!

          In Christ,

          Fiseha

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 25, 2009
            rachaeljns wrote:
            > To me, one account in the Bible that illustrates the point brought out
            > by Stormfire is that of Daniel. The reason why he was thrown into a den
            > of lions is because he refused to cease, even temporarily, his routine
            > of praying three times a day to Jehovah. This is not to say that we
            > should set some sort of number of times a day that we have to pray, like
            > Muslims do, but it should be something we do regularly and in a
            > heartfelt and humble manner, and that is so important to us that we do
            > not let the affairs of llife interfere with it. Daniels enemies knew
            > that this was so important to him that he would not let anything stop
            > him; even at the risk of his life.

            But this is the opposite of the way Jesus said to do it.

            Jesus said to pray not in front of others to be seen but do it in hiding.

            Daniel need not have been in the open to be seen by others.