The slave does not recognize Matt. 28:19 as spurious Rick

  • Rick Bowden
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 14, 2010
      WT 2002 April 1st .....Accurate Knowledge Essential

      8 Christian baptism is not for everyone. Jesus ordered his followers: “Go . . . And make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you.” (Matthew 28:19, 20) Before being baptized, people must be ‘taught to observe all the things Jesus commanded his disciples.’ Hence, forced baptisms of those lacking faith based on accurate knowledge of God’s Word are valueless and contrary to the commission Jesus gave his true followers.—Hebrews 11:6.

      9 What does it mean to be baptized “in the name of the Father”? It means that the baptismal candidate recognizes our heavenly Father’s office and authority. Jehovah God is thus acknowledged as our Creator, “the Most High over all the earth,” and the Universal Sovereign.—Psalm 83:18; Isaiah 40:28; Acts 4:24.

      10 To be baptized ‘in the name of the Son’ means to recognize Jesus’ office and authority as God’s only-begotten Son. (1 John 4:9) Those qualified for baptism accept Jesus as the one through whom God has provided “a ransom in exchange for many.” (Matthew 20:28; 1 Timothy 2:5, 6) Baptismal candidates must also acknowledge the “superior position” to which God has exalted his Son.—Philippians 2:8-11; Revelation 19:16.

      11 What is the significance of baptism ‘in the name of the holy spirit’? This indicates that the baptismal candidates recognize that the holy spirit is Jehovah’s active force, used in various ways in harmony with his purpose. (Genesis 1:2; 2 Samuel 23:1, 2; 2 Peter 1:21) Those qualifying for baptism acknowledge that the holy spirit helps them to understand “the deep things of God,” to carry on the Kingdom-preaching work, and to display the spirit’s fruitage of “love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faith, mildness, self-control.”—1 Corinthians 2:10; Galatians 5:22, 23; Joel 2:28, 29.

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 14, 2010

        Hi Rick,

        Thank you for the quote.

        To be clear, this group does not advocate that Mt. 28:19 is spurious. However, it is realized that some non-JW scholars and translators believe that it is possible that Mt. 28:19 is a later addition to the text.

        Trinitarians often attempt to 'prove' the Trinity Doctrine by using Mt. 28:19. However, their 'evidence' for this is, of course, woefully inadequate. See: http://examiningthetrinity.blogspot.com/2009/10/mt-2819-in-name-of-father-son-and-holy.html

        It is interesting to me that another scripture that also mentions the Father, Son and Holy Spirit in the same breath (1 John 5:7 in older Bible Translations) is spurious and was an attempt to promote the false Trinity Doctrine. But even if it wasn't spurious, 1 John 5:7 still would not mean the three are the one God as trinitarians want. http://searchforbibletruths.blogspot.com/2009/12/is-1-john-57-proof-of-trinity.html

        (Also see the last 2 paragraphs of the heading "Three in One" from the article "What about Trinity "Proof Texts"?" From the Official Website of Jehovah's Witnesses): http://www.watchtower.org/e/ti/article_08.htm

        --- In JWquestions-and_answers@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Bowden" <rickbowden2009@...> wrote:

        > WT 2002 April 1st .....Accurate Knowledge Essential
        >
        > 8 Christian baptism is not for everyone. Jesus ordered his followers: "Go .
        > . And make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the
        > name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, teaching them to
        > observe all the things I have commanded you." (Matthew 28:19, 20) Before
        > being baptized, people must be `taught to observe all the things Jesus
        > commanded his disciples.' Hence, forced baptisms of those lacking faith
        > based on accurate knowledge of God's Word are valueless and contrary to the
        > commission Jesus gave his true followers.—Hebrews 11:6.
        >
        > 9 What does it mean to be baptized "in the name of the Father"? It means
        > that the baptismal candidate recognizes our heavenly Father's office and
        > authority. Jehovah God is thus acknowledged as our Creator, "the Most High
        > over all the earth," and the Universal Sovereign.—Psalm 83:18; Isaiah 40:28;
        > Acts 4:24.
        >
        > 10 To be baptized `in the name of the Son' means to recognize Jesus' office
        > and authority as God's only-begotten Son. (1 John 4:9) Those qualified for
        > baptism accept Jesus as the one through whom God has provided "a ransom in
        > exchange for many." (Matthew 20:28; 1 Timothy 2:5, 6) Baptismal candidates
        > must also acknowledge the "superior position" to which God has exalted his
        > Son.—Philippians 2:8-11; Revelation 19:16.
        >
        > 11 What is the significance of baptism `in the name of the holy spirit'? This indicates that the baptismal candidates recognize that the holy spirit is Jehovah's active force, used in various ways in harmony with his purpose. (Genesis 1:2; 2 Samuel 23:1, 2; 2 Peter 1:21) Those qualifying for baptism acknowledge that the holy spirit helps them to understand "the deep things of God," to carry on the Kingdom-preaching work, and to display the spirit's fruitage of "love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faith, mildness, self-control."—1 Corinthians 2:10; Galatians 5:22, 23; Joel 2:28, 29.

      • Ahmad Barnard
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 14, 2010
          Thanks for the comments and references.  Much appreciated.