John 19:23

  • ginosko92
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 22, 2010

      Hello all,

      I wanted to share a question regarding the translation of John 19:23,24

      (NIV)

      23 When the soldiers crucified Jesus, they took his clothes, dividing them into four shares, one for each of them, with the undergarment remaining. This garment was seamless, woven in one piece from top to bottom. 24  Therefore they said to one another: "Let us not tear it, but let us determine by lots over it whose it will be." This was that the scripture might be fulfilled: "They apportioned my outer garments among themselves, and upon my apparel they cast lots." And so the soldiers really did these things.

      (NWT)

      23 Now when the soldiers had impaled Jesus, they took his outer garments and made four parts, for each soldier a part, and the inner garment. But the inner garment was without a seam, being woven from the top throughout its length.  24 Therefore they said to one another: "Let us not tear it, but let us determine by lots over it whose it will be." This was that the scripture might be fulfilled: "They apportioned my outer garments among themselves, and upon my apparel they cast lots." And so the soldiers really did these things.

      It was brought to my attention that apparently Jesus was stripped naked when he was executed, since the soldiers cast lots on his inner garment.  As the NWT says in vs 23 the soldiers took Jusus' outer garments and the inner garment. This is something that I have never thought about. Could it be possible that he wasn't waring anything when executed?

      Thanks! :)