Re: "Wormwood"

  • __A_YAHOO_USER__
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 21, 2010
      *** re chap. 21 p. 136 par. 28 Jehovah's Plagues on Christendom ***
      28 "And the third angel blew his trumpet. And a great star burning as a lamp fell from heaven, and it fell upon a third of the rivers and upon the fountains of waters. And the name of the star is called Wormwood. And a third of the waters turned into wormwood, and many of the men died from the waters, because these had been made bitter." (Revelation 8:10, 11)

      *** re chap. 21 p. 137 par. 31 Jehovah's Plagues on Christendom ***
      31 When the clergy of Christendom apostatized from true Christianity, they fell from the lofty "heavenly" position described by Paul at Ephesians 2:6, 7. Instead of offering fresh waters of truth, they served up "wormwood," bitter lies such as hellfire, purgatory, the Trinity, and predestination; also, they led the nations into war, failing to build them up as moral servants of God. The result? Spiritual poisoning of those who believed the lies. Their case was similar to that of the unfaithful Israelites of Jeremiah's day, to whom Jehovah said: "Here I am making them eat wormwood, and I will give them poisoned water to drink. For from the prophets of Jerusalem apostasy has gone forth to all the land."—Jeremiah 9:15; 23:15.

      *** re chap. 21 p. 138 par. 34 Jehovah's Plagues on Christendom ***
      Because of the preaching of Jehovah's Witnesses, great numbers of people have come to realize that many doctrines taught by the clergy are spiritual poison—"wormwood."
    • TJ
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 21, 2010
        Hi Nancy,

        From the Insight book article "Wormwood":

        "This designates many, frequently somewhat woody, plants having an intensely bitter taste and a strong aromatic odor. Several varieties of wormwood are found in Palestine, particularly in desert areas. The most common is the Artemisia herba-alba, a small shrub growing 40 cm (16 in.) tall. In Scripture, wormwood is compared to the aftereffects of immorality (Pr 5:4) and the bitter experience that was to come and did come upon Judah and Jerusalem at the hands of the Babylonians. (Jer 9:15; 23:15; La 3:15, 19) It also represents injustice and unrighteousness (Am 5:7; 6:12) and is used with reference to apostates. (De 29:18) At Revelation 8:11, wormwood denotes a bitter and poisonous substance, also called absinthe."

        Revelation 8:10-11 says:

        "And the third angel blew his trumpet. And a great star burning as a lamp fell from heaven, and it fell upon a third of the rivers and upon the fountains of waters. And the name of the star is called Wormwood. And a third of the waters turned into wormwood, and many of the men died from the waters, because these had been made bitter."

        The Revelation Climax book says about this:

        "When the clergy of Christendom apostatized from true Christianity, they fell from the lofty "heavenly" position described by Paul at Ephesians 2:6, 7. Instead of offering fresh waters of truth, they served up "wormwood," bitter lies such as hellfire, purgatory, the Trinity, and predestination; also, they led the nations into war, failing to build them up as moral servants of God. The result? Spiritual poisoning of those who believed the lies. Their case was similar to that of the unfaithful Israelites of Jeremiah's day, to whom Jehovah said: "Here I am making them eat wormwood, and I will give them poisoned water to drink. For from the prophets of Jerusalem apostasy has gone forth to all the land."—Jeremiah 9:15; 23:15.

        "This fall from the spiritual heavens became apparent in the year 1919 when, rather than Christendom's clergy, the small remnant of anointed Christians was appointed over the Kingdom interests. (Matthew 24:45-47) And from 1922 that fall was dramatized when this group of Christians renewed their campaign of frankly exposing the failings of the clergy of Christendom.

        "Outstanding in this connection was the proclamation made at what The Golden Age magazine described as "the greatest convention of Bible Students held during the ages." This convention assembled in Columbus, Ohio, July 20-27, 1924. No doubt at the direction of the angel that sounded the third trumpet, a forceful resolution was there adopted and later 50 million copies were distributed as a tract. It was published under the title Ecclesiastics Indicted. A subheading presented the issue: "The Seed of Promise Versus the Seed of the Serpent." The Indictment itself roundly exposed Christendom's clergy on matters such as their taking of high-sounding religious titles, their making commercial giants and professional politicians the principal ones of their flocks, their desiring to shine before men, and their refusing to preach to the people the message of Messiah's Kingdom. It emphasized that every dedicated Christian is commissioned by God to proclaim "the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn."—Isaiah 61:2, KJ.

        "Since the third angel started to blow his trumpet, the clergy's position of dominance among mankind has been slipping until, in this day and age, very few of them retain the godlike powers they enjoyed in former centuries. Because of the preaching of Jehovah's Witnesses, great numbers of people have come to realize that many doctrines taught by the clergy are spiritual poison—"wormwood." Furthermore, the clergy's power in northern Europe is almost spent, while in some other lands, the government strictly curtails their influence. In Catholic parts of Europe and in the Americas, the clergy's scandalous behavior in financial, political, and moral affairs has sullied their reputation. From now on, their position can only get worse, since soon they will suffer the same fate as all other false religionists.—Revelation 18:21; 19:2."

        TJ

        --- In JWquestions-and_answers@yahoogroups.com, Nann <dreemweever40@...> wrote:

        > I was asked if I'd ever heard of the star called
        >
        > "Wormwood". anyone have any info on this ?
        >  What does the Bible says about this ?ThanksNancy
      • Nann
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 21, 2010
          VERY interesting  Thanks so very much for helping me with this !

           the person who asked me about that also said this :

          ( There is a star called worm wood and it is said that it has already entered our solorsystem that is the one in Revelation 8:11   the wind from it well destroy 1/3 of trees  and grass)

          I knew there had to be a logical ( Biblical ) explanation . thanks so much for your help
          Nancy

          .

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 21, 2010
            thanks very much  , I really appreciate this

            Four things you can't recover:

            The stone.........after the throw.
            The word...........after it's said.
            The occasion........after it's missed.
            The time...........after it's gone.

            .

          • octobermoondance@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 21, 2010
              Nancy, I hope that the person that has information on Wormwood could tell us if it was the name of a Russian mountain or volcano.

              luv,barbara

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 22, 2010

                Hi Barbara
                so far I'm getting no where  with this . I've relayed the info the others so kindly offered on to this person and they still insist  " the Bible says it's a star,  I'm  not giving up  !  LOL  any help appreciated

                .

                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 22, 2010

                  Tell them to look at the uses of "wormwood" in Scripture. It had to mean something to the people of John's day, who knew Scripture.

                  (Jeremiah 9:15-16) 15 therefore this is what Jehovah of armies, the God of Israel, has said, ‘Here I am making them, that is, this people, eat wormwood, and I will make them drink poisoned water; 16 and I will scatter them among the nations that neither they nor their fathers have known, and I will send after them the sword until I shall have exterminated them.’

                  (Jeremiah 23:15) 15 Therefore this is what Jehovah of armies has said against the prophets: “Here I am making them eat wormwood, and I will give them poisoned water to drink. For from the prophets of Jerusalem apostasy has gone forth to all the land.

                  (Lamentations 3:15) 15 He has given me a sufficiency of bitter things. He has saturated me with wormwood.

                  (Amos 6:12) 12 “‘On a crag will horses run, or will one plow [there] with cattle? For into a poisonous plant YOU people have turned justice, and the fruitage of righteousness into wormwood,

                  (Revelation 8:10-11) 10 And the third angel blew his trumpet. And a great star burning as a lamp fell from heaven, and it fell upon a third of the rivers and upon the fountains of waters. 11 And the name of the star is called Wormwood. And a third of the waters turned into wormwood, and many of the men died from the waters, because these had been made bitter.

                  Judgment from God.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 22, 2010
                    this is very helpful . Thank you very much !!!!!    I shall pass it on

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 22, 2010

                      apsinthos - "Rev. 8:11 (bis): masc., as the name of a star; fem., as the name of a bitter liquid into which a third of all water is transformed at the third trumpet sound.  Because of its bitterness, [apsinthos], mugwort, is translated traditionally by wormwood, and is an image for damnation and judgment." - p. 187, Vol. 1, Exegetical Dictionary of the New Testament, Eerdmans, 1990.

                      --- In JWquestions-and_answers@yahoogroups.com, Nann <dreemweever40@...> wrote:

                      > this is very helpful . Thank you very much !!!!!    I shall pass it on
                      >
                      > Four things you can't recover:
                      >
                      > The stone.........after the throw.          The word...........after it's said.
                      > The occasion........after it's missed.      The time...........after it's gone. .

                    • TJ
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 22, 2010
                        --- In JWquestions-and_answers@yahoogroups.com, Nann <dreemweever40@...> wrote:

                        > so far I'm getting no where  with this . I've relayed the info the
                        > others so kindly offered on to this person and they still insist
                        > " the Bible says it's a star,  I'm  not giving up  !  LOL  any
                        > help appreciated

                        It's not uncommon for the Bible to use stars in a figurative sense. This is from the Insight book:

                        "Figurative Use. Stars are used in the Bible in a figurative sense and in metaphors or similes to represent persons, as in Joseph's dream in which his parents were represented by the sun and moon, and his 11 brothers by 11 stars. (Ge 37:9, 10) Job 38:7 parallels "the morning stars" that joyfully cried out at earth's founding with the angelic "sons of God." The resurrected and exalted Jesus spoke of himself as "the bright morning star" and promised to give "the morning star" to his conquering followers, evidently indicating a sharing with him in his heavenly position and glory. (Re 22:16; 2:26, 28; compare 2Ti 2:12; Re 20:6.) The seven "angels" of the congregations, to whom written messages are delivered, are symbolized by seven stars in the right hand of Christ. (Re 1:16, 20; 2:1; 3:1) "The angel of the abyss" called Abaddon is also represented by a star.—Re 9:1, 11; see ABADDON.

                        "In the proverbial saying of Isaiah chapter 14, the boastful and ambitious king of Babylon (that is, the Babylonian dynasty of kings represented by Nebuchadnezzar), called the "shining one" (Heb., heh·lel′; "Lucifer," KJ), is presented as seeking to lift up his throne "above the stars of God." (Isa 14:4, 12, 13; see SHINING ONE.) The metaphor of a "star" is used in referring prophetically to the Davidic kings of Judah (Nu 24:17), and Bible history shows that the Babylonian dynasty for a time did rise above these Judean kings by conquest of Jerusalem. A similar prophecy in Daniel chapter 8 describes the small "horn" of some future power as trampling down certain stars of "the army of the heavens" and moving against the Prince of the army and his sanctuary (Da 8:9-13); while at Daniel chapter 12, by simile, those persons "having insight" and bringing others to righteousness are pictured as shining "like the stars" in "the time of the end." (Da 12:3, 9, 10) By contrast, immoral deviators from truth are compared to "stars with no set course."—Jude 13.

                        "The darkening of the stars, along with the sun and moon, is a frequent figure used in prophetic warnings of disaster brought as a result of God's judgment. (Isa 13:10; Eze 32:7; Re 6:12, 13; 8:12; compare Job 9:6, 7.) The dimming of such luminaries is also used in the description of the fading years of the aged person at Ecclesiastes 12:1, 2. Elsewhere stars are spoken of as falling or being cast down to earth. (Mt 24:29; Re 8:10; 9:1; 12:4) "Signs" in sun, moon, and stars are foretold as evidence of the time of the end.—Lu 21:25."

                        TJ
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 22, 2010

                          Also to consider:

                          A literal star is a massive, luminous ball of plasma that is held together by gravity. To get a sense of the size of stars, the nearest star to Earth is the Sun. 1,300,000 Earths could fit in the Sun and the Sun is considered only an average-sized star. If a literal star were to actually stray into the solar system and come into contact with the Earth, the damage would be far more devastating than simply 1/3 of the Earth being affected. If a literal star were to actually come into direct contact with the Earth as is being assumed by your acquaintance, the oceans, lakes and rivers would literally boil away (leaving no rivers for the star to fall on in the first place) and eventually the entire earth would be consumed.

                          Clearly, as TJ and Teddy and Paul brought out, this "star" Wormwood would have to be meant in a figurative sense for it to "fall" upon the Earth. For if it were a literal star, considering a star's size and gravity, it is the Earth that would fall into the star...not the other way around.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 23, 2010
                            Excellent point and so obvious it is a wonder it takes so long for it to be pointed out.

[...]

                          • Jim
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 24, 2010
                              Hi,
                              I think everyone would agree that a literal star is not meant in the prophecy. Also worth considering is that in John's day astronomy was primitive and no one knew the true, infernal nature of stars, although they could distinguish stars from planets. Some have proposed that the star is still natural and is a meteor, asteroid or comet. Wikipedia says: "An applicable scenario theorizes a chemical change in the atmosphere due to "heat shock" during entry and/or impact of a large asteroid or comet, reacting oxygen and nitrogen in the atmosphere to produce nitric-acid rain."* But, Revelation 1:1 declares that it is recorded in "signs," so clearly Wormwood cannot be a literal star or another celestial star-like body (meteor, asteroid or comet). It must refer to the fallen condition of a spiritual entity; and in our interpretation it is the clergy of Christendom that best fits the description.

                              * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wormwood_(star)

                              Jim

                              --- In JWquestions-and_answers@yahoogroups.com, moto_bl <no_reply@...> wrote:

                              > Also to consider:
                              >
                              > A literal star is a massive, luminous ball of plasma that is held
                              > together by gravity. To get a sense of the size of stars, the nearest
                              > star to Earth is the Sun. 1,300,000 Earths could fit in the Sun and the
                              > Sun is considered only an average-sized star. If a literal star were to
                              > actually stray into the solar system and come into contact with the
                              > Earth, the damage would be far more devastating than simply 1/3 of the
                              > Earth being affected. If a literal star were to actually come into
                              > direct contact with the Earth as is being assumed by your acquaintance,
                              > the oceans, lakes and rivers would literally boil away (leaving no
                              > rivers for the star to fall on in the first place) and eventually the
                              > entire earth would be consumed.
                              >
                              > Clearly, as TJ and Teddy and Paul brought out, this "star" Wormwood
                              > would have to be meant in a figurative sense for it to "fall" upon the
                              > Earth. For if it were a literal star, considering a star's size and
                              > gravity, it is the Earth that would fall into the star...not the other
                              > way around.
                            • Nann
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 24, 2010
                                very interesting --makes a lot of sense   . thanks so much !
                                Nancy

                                Four things you can't recover:

                                The stone.........after the throw.
                                The word...........after it's said.
                                The occasion........after it's missed.
                                The time...........after it's gone.

                                .

                                I think everyone would agree that a literal star is not meant in the prophecy. Also worth considering is that in John's day astronomy was primitive and no one knew the true, infernal nature of stars, although they could distinguish stars from planets. Some have proposed that the star is still natural and is a meteor, asteroid or comet. Wikipedia says: "An applicable scenario theorizes a chemical change in the atmosphere due to "heat shock" during entry and/or impact of a large asteroid or comet, reacting oxygen and nitrogen in the atmosphere to produce nitric-acid rain."* But, Revelation 1:1 declares that it is recorded in "signs," so clearly Wormwood cannot be a literal star or another celestial star-like body (meteor, asteroid or comet). It must refer to the fallen condition of a spiritual entity; and in our interpretation it is the clergy of Christendom that best fits the description.

                                * http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Wormwood_(star)

                                Jim

                                --- In JWquestions- and_answers@ yahoogroups. com, moto_bl <no_reply@.. .> wrote:

                                > Also to consider:
                                >
                                > A literal star is a massive, luminous ball of plasma that is held
                                > together by gravity. To get a sense of the size of stars, the nearest
                                > star to Earth is the Sun. 1,300,000 Earths could fit in the Sun and the
                                > Sun is considered only an average-sized star. If a literal star were to
                                > actually stray into the solar system and come into contact with the
                                > Earth, the damage would be far more devastating than simply 1/3 of the
                                > Earth being affected. If a literal star were to actually come into
                                > direct contact with the Earth as is being assumed by your acquaintance,
                                > the oceans, lakes and rivers would literally boil away (leaving no
                                > rivers for the star to fall on in the first place) and eventually the
                                > entire earth would be consumed.
                                >
                                > Clearly, as TJ and Teddy and Paul brought out, this "star" Wormwood
                                > would have to be meant in a figurative sense for it to "fall" upon the
                                > Earth. For if it were a literal star, considering a star's size and
                                > gravity, it is the Earth that would fall into the star...not the other
                                > way around.

                              • Nann
                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 24, 2010
                                  yes ,  that 's a very good point .   thanks very much !
                                  Nancy