Re: Romans 10:13

  • Bar_Enosh
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 29, 2009
      Well, the context of Romans 10 is really Israel, and why Israel cannot be saved if it rejects God's continuing revelation, which now proceeds through the message and mission of the Lord Jesus Christ.

      "Brothers, my heart's desire and prayer to God for the Israelites is that they may be saved." (Romans 10:1, New Internationl Version)

      In the context of speaking about Israel, whose God was Jehovah, Paul makes several quotations from the Hebrew Scriptures, including the one at Joel 2:32, where, as you say, the Hebrew text clearly has "shem YHWH," or the name of Jehovah.

      Now, if Paul were quoting from the Septuagint (LXX) version, it might have said "to onoma kurios," the name of the Lord. But again, Joel is referring to the name Jehovah, for which later copies of the LXX used the substitute title, "Lord."

      But how does putting faith in Christ relate to calling on the name of Jehovah? Easily, when we remember the concept of Agency. Christ was God's chief Agent and Representative, and calling upon Jehovah, for both Jews and non-Jews, must now take place "in Jesus' name."

      It was therefore appropriate for Paul to highlight the role of the Lord Jesus in Romans, but still quote from Joel. Christians have to call upon Jehovah's Name in order to be saved. But when we pray to Jehovah, we also acknowledge Christ, who said, "No one comes to the Father except through me."

      Christ himself had to pray to Jehovah in order to be saved, (Hebrews 5:7), setting the example for us.

      Solomon

      --- In JWquestions-and_answers@yahoogroups.com, ginosko92 <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > Hello all,
      >
      > recently I came across some information that was written against the
      > accuracy of the NWT (what else is new! [/:)] ), I do believe that
      > Bowman di criticize this verse as well as many others.
      >
      > Anyway, Romans 10:13 is a reference to Joel 2:32 which does make
      > reference to Jehovah. So all trinitarian bibles of course put 'Lord' in
      > Romans to show the association of Jehovah in the OT with Jesus in the
      > NT.
      >
      > The context of Romans 10 is clearly speaking about Jesus, so where does
      > the reference to Joel come into place?
      >
      > Dom

    • ginosko92
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 29, 2009
        True indeed are the words of Prov. 15:22. Solomon your answer in
        enlightening, thanks.

        YB

        --- In JWquestions-and_answers@yahoogroups.com, "Bar_Enosh"