Habakkuk 1:12

  • daath92
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 24, 2009

      Hello all,

      this is a question for the board.

      The NWT translates Habakkuk 1:12 as follows:

      12 Are you not from long ago, O Jehovah? O my God, my Holy One, you do not die. O Jehovah, for a judgment you have set it; and, O Rock, for a reproving you have founded it.

      Most versions I've checked translate this verse as "we will not die".

      Why the difference?

      Thanks for your time.

    • teddy_trueblood
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 24, 2009
        I approved a pending message here about twenty minutes ago, and it has not posted yet.  So, I will respond to it anyway.  Basically the question was: why did the NWT render Habakkuk 1:12 as

        (NWT) Habakkuk 1:12  "Are you not from long ago, O Jehovah? O my God, my Holy One, you do not die." ?

         But many other Bibles render it as

        (NASB) ... O LORD, my God, my Holy One? We will not die.

        Yes, many Bibles translate it as you say.  However many do not.  Here are the four modern Bibles found in my copy of The Complete Parallel Bible (Oxford University Press,  1993):

        (NRSV) Are you not from of old, O LORD my God, my Holy One?  You shall not die.

        (REB)  LORD, are you not from ancient times my God and Holy One, who is immortal?

        (NAB) Are you not from eternity, O LORD, my holy God, immortal?

        (NJB) Surely you, Yahweh, are from ancient times, my holy God, who never dies!
        Here are some others I found online:

        (BBE) Habakkuk 1:12 Are you not eternal, O Lord my God, my Holy One? for you there is no death.

        (Rotherham) Habakkuk 1:12 Art not, thou, from of old, O Yahweh, my God, my Holy One? Thou diest not!

        (TEV) Habakkuk 1:12 LORD, from the very beginning you are God. You are my God, holy and eternal.

        (The Holman Christian Standard Bible) Are You not from eternity, Yahweh my God?
        My Holy One, You will not die.
        The REB, quoted above, says in a footnote for this verse that "who is immortal" is probably the original reading that has been altered in the existing Hebrew text.

        And the Tanakh (Jewish Publication Society, 1985) which translates it "My holy God, You never die" also says in a footnote: "Heb. 'we,' a change made by a pious scribe."

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 24, 2009
          I believe that in the Scribal notes they admit to changing the text as they thought it was blasphemous to even suggest the need to say God could not die.

          I approved a pending message here about twenty minutes ago, and it has not posted yet.  So, I will respond to it anyway.  Basically the question was: why did the NWT render Habakkuk 1:12 as

          (NWT) Habakkuk 1:12  "Are you not from long ago, O Jehovah? O my God, my Holy One, you do not die." ?

           But many other Bibles render it as

          (NASB) ... O LORD, my God, my Holy One? We will not die.

          Yes, many Bibles translate it as you say.  However many do not.  Here are the four modern Bibles found in my copy of The Complete Parallel Bible (Oxford University Press,  1993):

          (NRSV) Are you not from of old, O LORD my God, my Holy One?  You shall not die.

          (REB)  LORD, are you not from ancient times my God and Holy One, who is immortal?

          (NAB) Are you not from eternity, O LORD, my holy God, immortal?

          (NJB) Surely you, Yahweh, are from ancient times, my holy God, who never dies!
          ............ ......... ......... ...
          Here are some others I found online:

          (BBE) Habakkuk 1:12 Are you not eternal, O Lord my God, my Holy One? for you there is no death.

          (Rotherham) Habakkuk 1:12 Art not, thou, from of old, O Yahweh, my God, my Holy One? Thou diest not!

          (TEV) Habakkuk 1:12 LORD, from the very beginning you are God. You are my God, holy and eternal.

          (The Holman Christian Standard Bible) Are You not from eternity, Yahweh my God?
          My Holy One, You will not die.
          ............ ......... ......... ......
          The REB, quoted above, says in a footnote for this verse that "who is immortal" is probably the original reading that has been altered in the existing Hebrew text.

          And the Tanakh (Jewish Publication Society, 1985) which translates it "My holy God, You never die" also says in a footnote: "Heb. 'we,' a change made by a pious scribe."

        • ginosko92
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 25, 2009
            Teddy, Paul

            Thank you very much for your imput. I really appreciate all your help. Keep up the good work.

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 25, 2009

              I wonder how trinitarians (or 'Jesus is God' believers) attempt to explain this verse?

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 25, 2009
                My first attempt was to be able to have an accurate translation first of
                the verse in Habakkuk so to show that the verse was specifically
                speaking about Jehovah. Since God cannot die according to this verse in
                Habakkuk how could Jesus be God and man at the same time and still die.
                I guess I still don't get the dual nature thing!! It's so absurd!

                --- In JWquestions-and_answers@yahoogroups.com, moto_bl <no_reply@...>

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 25, 2009

                  It certainly would seem unreasonable to believe that the God who is labeled "the King of eternity" (1 Tim. 1:17) and existing "even from everlasting to everlasting" (Ps. 90:2, AS) to have temporarily died 2,000 years ago. But not unreasonable to believe that His son did.

                  Because of it's confusing and contrary nature, many proponents today don't even try to understand it and would simply rather label the trinity a "mystery". To me, the real mystery is why it is still such an accepted teaching despite the relative ease to demonstate it's pagan and unscriptural history .

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 25, 2009
                    They claim only the "man" (Human Nature not the Divine Nature) died.

                    Oops, they also claim that Jesus has to be God because only God could die for our sins.

                    Humm, either God can die or no death occurred for our sins.

                    Or Jesus is not God and did not need to be God to die for us.

                    Neither conclusion is liked by Trinitarians.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 26, 2009
                      At the time of his Human Nature's death what ever happened to his God
                      nature?? Clearly the Scriptures tell us that Jesus had not gone back to
                      his Father yet after his resurrection! So i guess the question is where
                      did God go while his Human Nature was gone for 3 days?

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 26, 2009
                        They will tell you his God nature went to the angels in prison during those 3 days.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 27, 2009

                          Good one! :)