Re: myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS, formerly known as "preleukemia")

  • teddy_trueblood
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 12, 2009

      I found the following in a Google search:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myelodysplastic_syndrome

      This long article includes:

      "The recognition of epigenetic changes in DNA structure in MDS has explained the success of two of three commercially available medications approved by the US FDA to treat MDS. Proper DNA methylation is critical in the regulation of proliferation genes, and the loss of DNA methylation control can lead to uncontrolled cell growth, and cytopenias. The recently approved DNA methyltransferase inhibitors take advantage of this mechanism by creating a more orderly DNA methylation profile in the hematopoietic stem cell nucleus, and thereby restore normal blood counts and retard the progression of MDS to acute leukemia."

      "

      Therapy

      The goals of therapy are to control symptoms, improve quality of life, improve overall survival, and decrease progression to

      acute myelogenous leukemia.

      The IPSS scoring system can help triage patients for more aggressive treatment (i.e.

      bone marrow transplant) as well as help determine the best timing of this therapy.[13] Supportive care with blood product support and hematopoeitic growth factors (e.g. erythropoietin) is the mainstay of therapy. The regulatory environment for the use of erythropoietins is evolving, according to a recent US Medicare National Coverage Determination. No comment on the use of hematopoeitic growth factors for MDS was made in that document.[14]

      Three agents have been approved by the

      U.S. Food and Drug Administration for the treatment of MDS:5-azacytidine ; Decitabine ; Lenalidomide

      "

      Chemotherapy with the hypomethylating agents 5-azacytidine and decitabine has been shown to decrease blood transfusion requirements and to retard the progression of MDS to AML. Lenalidomide was approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in December 2005 only for use in the 5q- syndrome. It was approved in July, 2006 for use in multiple myeloma. The retail price of lenalidomide is estimated at $7,000 per month.[24]

      "

      Stem cell transplantation, particularly in younger patients (ie less than 40 years of age), more severely affected patients, offers the potential for curative therapy. Success of bone marrow transplantation has been found to correlate with severity of MDS as determined by the IPSS score, with patients having a more favorable IPSS score tending to have a more favorable outcome with transplantation.[25]"

      Also see:

      http://www.seattlecca.org/diseases/myelodysplastic-syndrome-overview.cfm?gclid=CMeYsNfFnpkCFQ8eDQod_1rXCg

      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 12, 2009

        Hi Nancy,

        First, let me say that my prayers are with you and your husband.

        I do not have any first-hand knowledge or experiences with myelodysplastic syndrome to be able to share with you. However, I did find out in a search of myelodysplastic syndrome that even though transfusion therapy (blood transfusion) is one way doctors treat it, there are actually three other types of standard treatment that are used. In addition, there are also new types of treatment that are being tested in clinical trials.

        The following link has information and links to information about this:

        http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/myelodysplastic/Patient/page3

        If any members here have general questions about Jehovah's Witnesses and blood, they can click on the following link to view:

        "Blood

        Catagory also contains links to sites that provide information about bloodless surgery and medicine. (Last listing)

        --- In JWquestions-and_answers@yahoogroups.com, Nann <dreemweever40@...> wrote:

        > HI
        > I haven't been posting here altho I have been very interested  and a reader for a long time, and have really enjoyed the information . I've learned a lot  . I now have a question , hopefully some of my brothers and/or sisters can help me with . I haven't seen any mention of this before  but hopefully  someone has some information on this .
        >
        > My husband has myelodysplastic syndrome and of course the doctors are pushing , tho not demanding ,( yet )   blood transfusions.      He is refusing of course , but I'm wondering if there is any other treatment that the doctors haven't  mentioned or aren't aware of .
        >
        > Avery ( hubby ) now has fluid in his lungs , body swelling and an irregular heartbeat -They 're saying if he takes blood he will be good as new ---------then turn right around and say it MAY NOT help at all .    we know not to take blood.   As I mentioned I'm just wondering if anyone else has had any experience along these lines
        >
        > Thank you so much in advance for all your  suggestions .
        > Nancy
        > (sister in TN )
        >

        > 1 Corinthians 13:4-5
        >
        >  Sometimes, in the winds of change, we find our true direction

      • Nann
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 12, 2009
          thank you . I will read and study this very carefully .
          I appreciate your help

          ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------

          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 12, 2009
            thank you  very informative .

              Isn't a bone marrow transplant about the same as taking a blood transfusion ?
            and what about stem cell transplant ?  is it a matter of conscious ?

[...]

            ............ ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ...

            Also see:

            http://www.seattlec ca.org/diseases/ myelodysplastic- syndrome- overview. cfm?gclid= CMeYsNfFnpkCFQ8e DQod_1rXCg

            ............ ......... ......... ......... ......... ........

            ............ ......... ......... ......... ......... ......

            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 12, 2009
              The word is used both in a positive and a negative way. Those putting their confidence in gold, would be an example of a negative implication.

              Below are positive uses.

              (Psalm 71:5)  5 For you are my hope, O Sovereign Lord Jehovah, my confidence from my youth.

              (Psalm 78:7)  7 And that they might set their confidence in God himself And not forget the practices of God but observe his own commandments.

              (Proverbs 3:26) 26 For Jehovah himself will prove to be, in effect, your confidence, and he will certainly keep your foot against capture.

              (Isaiah 32:17-18) . . .. 18 And my people must dwell in a peaceful abiding place and in residences of full confidence and in undisturbed resting-places.

              (2 Corinthians 2:3) 3 And so I wrote this very thing, that, when I come, I may not get sad because of those over whom I ought to rejoice; because I have confidence in all of YOU that the joy I have is that of all of YOU.

              (2 Corinthians 3:4-5) 4 Now through the Christ we have this sort of confidence toward God. 5 Not that we of ourselves are adequately qualified to reckon anything as issuing from ourselves, but our being adequately qualified issues from God,

              (2 Corinthians 8:22) 22 Moreover, we are sending with them our brother whom we have often proved in many things to be earnest, but now much more earnest due to his great confidence in YOU.

              (Ephesians 3:12) 12 by means of whom we have this freeness of speech and an approach with confidence through our faith in him.

              (2 Thessalonians 3:3-4) . . .. 4 Moreover, we have confidence in [the] Lord regarding YOU, that YOU are doing and will go on doing the things we order.

              (Hebrews 3:13-14) . . .for fear any one of YOU should become hardened by the deceptive power of sin. 14 For we actually become partakers of the Christ only if we make fast our hold on the confidence we had at the beginning firm to the end,

              (1 John 5:14) 14 And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that, no matter what it is that we ask according to his will, he hears us.

              You will see that true confidence is being placed first in Jehovah and second in our brothers. Self confidence is not addressed in a positive way. We are to learn to lean on Jehovah and our brothers not on ourselves. We should be confident as an example, in our faith, but that confidence is not based on anything we have done rather on God's love and faithfulness to His word.

              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 12, 2009
                Hi,

                A bone marrow transplant is a conscience matter as Jehovah in His word speaks of eating marrow. Thus marrow, even though it is the place blood is manufactured in the body as is present is not prohibited as food. It isn't the forbidden blood yet.

                Where are you in TN, My wife and I will be visiting for 2 weeks in April as we are planning to move there.

                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 12, 2009
                  thanks you very much !!!!!!   I appreciate your help

                  We are located just south of Nashville TN at present but on the way to NZ< moving there in a few weeks .
                  You will love it here, it's beautiful country ---------and if you don't like the weather  , just stick around awhile   lol   it'll change .!!!!!!!  Tuesday it was so hot folks were in shorts,    sleeveless shirts and barefoot . Two days later it's bone chilling cold with a chance of freezing ice tonight ~!!!     lol

                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 12, 2009
                    Hi,

                    We looked at Murfreesboro, visiting one congregation there, the one for West of town. However we have decided on either the area around Knoxville or Chattanooga. Gotta visit again to nail it down.

                    You will enjoy NZ. I have customers there and may get to visit one day.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 12, 2009
                      wonderful                 If you do  visit NZ <  please  let me know ok ???   we have extra room  --all free   lol

                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 12, 2009

                        Just like AnotherPaul mentioned,  Isa. 25:6 says that Jehovah Himself "will certainly make for all the peoples, in this mountain, a banquet of well-oiled dishes, a banquet of [wine kept on] the dregs, of well-oiled dishes filled with marrow." So animal marrow is spoken of like any other flesh that could be eaten.

                        There is good information concerning whether Christians should accept a bone-marrow transplant in the 'Questions From Readers' in the 5-15-84 Watchtower. A small excerpt:

                        "Of course, marrow used in human marrow transplants is from live donors, and the withdrawn marrow may have some blood with it. Hence, the Christian would have to resolve for himself whether—to him—the bone-marrow graft would amount to simple flesh or would be unbled tissue. Additionally, since a marrow graft is a form of transplant, the Scriptural aspects of human organ transplants should be considered. See "Questions From Readers" in our issue of March 15, 1980. Finally, writing in Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine (Update I, 1981, page 138), Dr. D. E. Thomas observes that "virtually all marrow transplant recipients will require platelet transfusions" and many are given "packed red blood cells." So the Christian should consider what additional issues he would have to face if he submitted to a marrow transplant.—Proverbs 22:3.

                        "Though a personal decision has to be made on this matter, the Bible's comments about blood and marrow should help the individual to decide."

                        Additionally, the 11-22-02 Awake has a lot of information about stem cells.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 12, 2009
                          That is good in formation. However be sure to find the latest medical information as medical science has progressed considerably since those articles were written. The packed red cells may no longer be needed or used.

                          ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --

                          Additionally, the 11-22-02 Awake has a lot of information about stem cells.

                          --- In JWquestions- and_answers@ yahoogroups. com, Paul Leonard <anotherpaul2001@ ...> wrote:

                          > Hi,
                          >
                          > A bone marrow transplant is a conscience matter as Jehovah in His word speaks of eating marrow. Thus marrow, even though it is the place blood is manufactured in the body as is present is not prohibited as food. It isn't the forbidden blood yet.
                          >
                          > Where are you in TN, My wife and I will be visiting for 2 weeks in April as we are planning to move there.

                        • geri elmer
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 14, 2009
                            Is NZ new zealand?

                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 14, 2009