Re: talk tonight need help.

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 23, 2008

      Your request prompted me to do some research on why the Law forbade boiling a kid in its mother's milk because I wondered about this long ago but never made the effort to find out.

      This is what I found in a nutshell:

      I found that there is no definitive explanation as to the reasoning behind the prohibition but there are three main theories behind it:

      1.) One suggestion is that this statute emphasizes that there is a proper and fitting order in matters that should be adhered to. God provided the milk of the mother for the purpose of nourishing her young and to use it to boil her offspring to prepare it to be eaten would be to the kid's harm and the opposite of what God had in mind when making provision for such milk.

      2.) Some have theorized that this practice had pagan, idolatrous, or magical connections. However, the evidence to support this view is not conclusive.

      3.) A third possibility is that this command was given in order to encourage compassion. This would be in harmony with other commands that prohibited sacrificing an animal if it had not first been with its mother for at least seven days (Le 22:27), slaughtering both an animal and its offspring on the same day (Le 22:28), or taking from a nest both a mother and its eggs or offspring (De 22:6, 7).

      --- In JWquestions-and_answers@yahoogroups.com, "cathy" <misscappy28@...> wrote:

      > my husband has the talk tonight on exodus 23 19 he has al the information from the watchtower cd but cant come up with a introductiion its on u must not boil a kid in his mothers milk. any suggestions?

    • cathy
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 23, 2008

        My husband gave the talk he basically read it from the question ask from watchtower cd  . He added a little bit of information from other articles . I guess he did ok  I was unable to go since my stepson  was feeling  sick so one of us had to stay home with him. Thanks for the feedback and glad u got a chance to do your own research on topic. from cathy