Re: Please help with this passage.

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 29, 2008
      The context makes it appear that it is illustrating the practicality of counsel.

      Here is a scriptural footnote that I found in accordance with that scripture:

      (Luke 14:31) Or what king, marching to meet another king in war, does not first sit down and take counsel whether he is able with ten thousand troops to cope with the one that comes against him with twenty thousand?

      --- In JWquestions-and_answers@yahoogroups.com, "tony_smith996" <tony_smith996@...> wrote:

      > Proverbs 20:18 "Every purpose is established by counsel: and with good
      > advice make war." (kjv)
      >
      > What does it mean when it says "with good advise make war"?
      >
      > Thank you,
      >
      > tony

    • tony smith
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 30, 2008

        Hi,

        Thank you for your helpful reply. I wonder why war was used for the illustration instead of maybe building a house or some other endeavor.

        Thank you again, you reply helped alot!!!

        tony

        The context makes it appear that it is illustrating the practicality of counsel.

        Here is a scriptural footnote that I found in accordance with that scripture:

        (Luke 14:31) Or what king, marching to meet another king in war, does not first sit down and take counsel whether he is able with ten thousand troops to cope with the one that comes against him with twenty thousand?

        --- In JWquestions- and_answers@ yahoogroups. com, "tony_smith996" <tony_smith996@ ...> wrote:

        > Proverbs 20:18 "Every purpose is established by counsel: and with good
        > advice make war." (kjv)
        >
        > What does it mean when it says "with good advise make war"?
        >
        > Thank you,
        >
        > tony

        Sent from Yahoo! Mail.
        A Smarter Inbox.
      • Steve Klemetti
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 18, 2009
          *** Bible Citations ***
          (Proverbs 20:18) By counsel plans themselves are firmly established, and
          by skillful direction carry on your war.

          When one has skillful direction, one can go to war (or any endeavor) and
          have more success.

          tony_smith996 wrote:

          > Proverbs 20:18 "Every purpose is established by counsel: and with good
          > advice make war." (kjv)
          >
          > What does it mean when it says "with good advise make war"?
          >
          > Thank you,
          >
          > tony

        • rgaudier99
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 20, 2009
            Brothers,

            First, I'd like to give my thanks to those who invited my to join your group. I am like a kid in a candy store right now, with all this great research material at my fingertips. I feel it will be a boon to me when I have to contend with those who hold the "spiritual food" provided by our "faithful and discreet slave" in contempt. How satisfying it is to show doubters and unbelievers the REAL truth that the bible teaches using their own trusted sources. Of course, I have yet to find any material outside of the official Watchtower realm that really has that "ring of truth," or what I call Jehovah's "stamp of approval."

            To answer your question, you quoted Proverbs 20:18 "Every purpose is established by counsel: and with good advice make war." (kjv)

            And then you asked: "What does it mean when it says "with good advise make war?""

            The book of Proverbs may be divided into five sections. Chapters 10-24 are described as the "Proverbs of Solomon." And remember, that Solomon was said to "sit upon Jehovah's throne." In this section of Proverbs we find many choice, unconnected maxims that apply wisdom to the complex situations of life. By teaching us the proper applications, it aims to promote greater happiness and pleasant living. (si: pp106,108)

            It is in this light, I believe, that we should view the above questioned scripture at Prov 20:18. Is the said scripture encouraging us to promote warfare? No, not at all, despite the unfortunately vague wording in the KJV.

            A simpler and perhaps better understanding of this kjv version (other than the more accurate NWT) can be had in the CEV where it is rendered: "Be sure you have sound advice before making plans or starting a war."

            There are those who might view the named scripture in the King James Version where it is rendered: "with good advise make war," as biblical encouragement to make war. But is this really the way true Christians should think?

            Just because a war theme is used to illustrate a point does not mean that the point condones war.

            For example, the Prince of Peace Jesus Christ said, "Or what king, marching to meet another king in war, does not first sit down and take counsel whether he is able with ten thousand troops to cope with the one that comes against him with twenty thousand?" (Luke 14:31) Jesus was making the same point made in Proverbs 20:18, and that is to make sure you have good advice and counsel before making vast life-changing decisions. In this case, the decision to follow him at the expense of everything else, a decision many of us have already made.

            So in my humble opinion, Proverbs 20:18 is just another useful instruction placed in our "users manual" that was provided by our "manufacturer." Like the manual that came with my car, the bible contains instructions in the care and maintenance of our unit so it will run trouble-free for it's scheduled lifetime. We would expect the "manufacturer" to know the unit inside and out, since he designed and made it, so we follow his instructions exactly. Those who don't follow this manual, we notice, immediately begin to have problems, breakdowns, and eventually their units end up in the junk yard.

            Anyway, I hope you get my point. Have a great day!

            --- In JWquestions-and_answers@yahoogroups.com, Steve Klemetti <sklemetti@...> wrote:

            > *** Bible Citations ***
            > (Proverbs 20:18) By counsel plans themselves are firmly established, and
            > by skillful direction carry on your war.
            >
            > When one has skillful direction, one can go to war (or any endeavor) and
            > have more success.
            >

            > tony_smith996 wrote:
            > >
            > > Proverbs 20:18 "Every purpose is established by counsel: and with good
            > > advice make war." (kjv)
            > >
            > > What does it mean when it says "with good advise make war"?
            > >
            > > Thank you,
            > >
            > > tony

          • Ron Gaudier
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 20, 2009
              I just replied to your email.  I'm not too familiar with the different ways to reply, or post. Not sure if I sent it the right way.  Did you receive my message? Thanks, Angelo.

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 20, 2009

                Hi Angelo,

                Welcome to JWQ&A!

                We would like for you to know that your message was recieved and you did send it the right way. BTW, you made some excellent points. Thank you.

                The process time may vary for new member's messages to get posted. We want to make sure that the messages are suitable before all the members get them in their inboxes. But the process does get much quicker as time goes on.

                You mentioned in your request for membership that you provide answers on Y/A. Several from this group (including myself) do as well. If you wish to use materiel from here as well as from our newly created website
                Search For Bible Truths (which includes the links to our other websites found through the Archangel, Blood, Creation, God's Name, Holidays, Holy Spirit, New World Translation, and Trinity links) you are more than welcome to do so.

                Again, welcome to JWQ&A and we look forward to hearing from you again soon.

                --- In JWquestions-and_answers@yahoogroups.com, Ron Gaudier <rgaudier99@...> wrote:

                > I just replied to your email. I'm not too familiar with the different ways to reply, or post. Not sure if I sent it the right way. Did you receive my message? Thanks, Angelo.

              • Kevin Beasley
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 20, 2009
                  crudely put , Don't bring a knife to a gunfight