Re: Husbands of one wife

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 19, 2008
      Hello, sronald.

      Anotherpaul put it correctly. To help clarify this matter, 1 Tim. 3:2 was specifically referring to avoiding the practice of polygamy. It was not referring to someone being "divorced for unscriptural reasons and (then) remarr(ying)":

      "Although polygamy was practiced, God not yet acting to restore the original state of monogamy until the Christian congregation was established (1Tim. 3:2), polygamous relationships were regulated." -Insight, Vol. 2 "Woman"

      "Polygamy.

      Since God's original standard for mankind was for the husband and wife to become one flesh, polygamy was not intended, and it is prohibited in the Christian congregation. Overseers and ministerial servants, who are to set the example for the congregation, are to be men having not more than one living wife. (1Ti 3:2, 12; Tit 1:5, 6)"  -Insight, Vol. 2 "Marriage"

      On the other hand, the other instance you referred to is something Jesus pointed out: That if a divorce was obtained by either husband or wife, except on the ground of fornication, the remarriage of either one would constitute adultery.—Mt 5:32; 19:9; Mr 10:11, 12; Lu 16:18; Ro 7:2, 3.

      1 Cor. 6:11 describes those who have done this very thing BUT have since become Christians and do these things no more. As a result they have become "washed clean":

       "And yet that is what some of YOU were. But YOU have been washed clean, but YOU have been sanctified, but YOU have been declared righteous in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ and with the spirit of our God."

      --- In JWquestions-and_answers@yahoogroups.com, teddy_trueblood <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > I believe that if you become a Christian, you are responsible to God for
      > your behavior AFTER dedication and baptism. If you were a thief,
      > robber, liar, adulterer, etc., it is often not possible to rectify your
      > past actions. But now that you have dedicated yourself to God, you must
      > do your utmost to remain clean in God's sight.
      >

      > --- In JWquestions-and_answers@yahoogroups.com, "sronald34"
      > sronald34@ wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm afraid I didn't ask the question right. I am divorced for
      > > unscriptural reasons and remarried. In light of these verses would
      > > not God consider me a husband of more than one wife even though it is
      > > before I become a christian.

    • Steve Klemetti
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 19, 2008
        NO, a legal divorce does sever the ties legally and a remarriage
        established
        new ones thus severing the former ties scripturally.

        sronald34 wrote:

        > I'm afraid I didn't ask the question right. I am divorced for
        > unscriptural reasons and remarried. In light of these verses would
        > not God consider me a husband of more than one wife even though it is
        > before I become a christian.
        >
        > --- In JWquestions-and_answers@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:JWquestions-and_answers%40yahoogroups.com>, Monika Vos Van
        > Zalinge <azaliana53@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > In verse 12 it mentions servant(s) & husband(s) as more than one,
        > therefore I would take that to mean that they would each have their
        > own wife (wives)
        > >
        > > sronald34 <sronald34@...> wrote: Could you explain what
        > Paul means when he speaks of overseers and
        > > ministerial servants as being "Husbands of one wife" in these two
        > > verses. Not only in this letter to first century christians but for
        > our
        > > understanding today.
        > > Thank you
        > > 1 Timothy 3:2
        > > The overseer should therefore be irreprehensible, a husband of one
        > wife
        > > 3:12 Let ministerial servants be husbands of one wife, presiding in
        > > fine manner over children and their own households.
      • Monika Vos Van Zalinge
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 20, 2008
          Doesnt that just show how easily things can be taken out of context and misunderstood?

          My understanding of this verse is that despite what you did before you became a Christian, you have changed your life, you've turned around and repented of your sins and are now the husband of one wife.

          In the past you didn't know God's righteous standards and I know he won't hold that against you.

          much agape love
          Monika

          --- In JWquestions- and_answers@ yahoogroups. com, Monika Vos Van
          Zalinge <azaliana53@ ...> wrote:

          > In verse 12 it mentions servant(s) & husband(s) as more than one,
          therefore I would take that to mean that they would each have their
          own wife (wives)

          > sronald34 <sronald34@. ..> wrote: Could you explain what
          Paul means when he speaks of overseers and
          > ministerial servants as being "Husbands of one wife" in these two
          > verses. Not only in this letter to first century christians but for
          our
          > understanding today.
          > Thank you
          > 1 Timothy 3:2
          > The overseer should therefore be irreprehensible, a husband of one
          wife
          > 3:12 Let ministerial servants be husbands of one wife, presiding in
          > fine manner over children and their own households.
        • Ronald Smith
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 20, 2008
            Thank you for this and all the answers I have been given. I am incouraged by all the answers to questions that have been asked since I joined this group. Also I enjoyed the article "Jehovah's Witnesses are the fastest growing."
            Ron

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 21, 2008
              Hello Ronald,

              I appreciated the way in how you patiently clarified the particular details of your question. Unfortunately, too many times I've seen a question asked and it ends up being misunderstood...resulting in a frustration by the asker and the potential responders. You provided an excellent example of how it really pays to not give up, but to "keep on asking, and it will be given YOU."

              "Keep on asking, and it will be given YOU; keep on seeking, and YOU will find; keep on knocking, and it will be opened to YOU. For everyone asking receives, and everyone seeking finds, and to everyone knocking it will be opened." (Mt. 7:7,8)

              I believe that we have some great members here who are genuinely interested in the pursuit of accurate knowledge of Jehovah and His Son and are eager in sharing what they have learned with those who are interested. (Jn. 17:3; Mt 28:19, 20)

              Granted, this group isn't as fast-paced as some of the others out there. But the members who have been with us for some time surely have noticed that virtually every person's sincere concern eventually gets addressed.