Christians are no part of the World

  • a_measured_brush
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2008
      Take courage! I have conquered the world."-John 16:33

      1. What world is this, when did it begin, and when will it end?

      2. How did Jesus conquer the world and what does this mean for his
      disciples?

      1. When translated from the Greek "ko'smos" world can mean

      (1) All of humankind (2) the framework of human
      circumstances into which a person is born and lives, or (3) mankind
      apart from Jehovah's approved servants.

      The "world" Jesus referred to is #3, the same about John
      14:30 and 1 John 5:19, which mentions "the ruler of the world" who
      is "the wicked one" and in whose power "the whole world is lying".
      Although the planet and the lives of the people on it belong to
      Jehovah as the creator Satan has become their ruler because they
      imitate Satan (John 8:44-"You are from your father the Devil, and you
      wish to do the desired of your father. That one was a manslayer when
      he began, and he did not stand fast in the truth, because truth is
      not in him. When he speaks the lie, he speaks according to his own
      disposition, because he is a liar and the father of the lie." or are
      mislead by him. (Rev. 12:9-"So down the great dragon was hurled, the
      original serpent, the one called Devil and Satan, who is misleading
      the entire inhabited earth; he was hurled down to the earth, and his
      angels were hurled down with him." Thus they do not fully come to
      know Jehovah and do his will Matt. 7:21-"Not everyone saying to
      me, `Lord, Lord', will enter into the kingdom of the heavens, but the
      one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will." (John
      17:3-"This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you,
      the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ."

      Also this is the world Jesus spoke of in John 15:19 and 17:15, 16
      that his disciples are not in any longer. This did not mean that
      they formed separate communities or that they no longer cared about
      their neighbors. Just the opposite, for they even risked their
      lives to obey the commission given at Matthew 28:19,20, and there is
      no doubt that they also helped their neighbors in other ways as well
      whenever they could on an individual basis.

      Now what about the questions "When did this "world" begin"
      and "When will it end?" Who were the first to imitate Satan and take
      mislead by him? This was Adam and Eve. For it was through Adam that
      sin entered into the world and alienated humankind from God (Romans
      5:12). Will this world (that is mankind, not the earth) have an
      end? Peter reminds us that the world was destroyed once before (2
      Peter 2:5-9; 3:3-7). There were survivors and this was a pattern of
      things to come. In his prophecy about the last days and the end of
      the world in Matthew 25 and 25 Jesus referred to the days of Noah as
      a pattern for the future( Matthew 24:37-39), and the end would come
      not by a world conversion but by the destruction of the wicked. What
      should Christians be doing during the last days? Matt. 24:13,14 says
      that Christians would endure until the end and would be preaching the
      good news of God's kingdom. This is a life saving work since it is on
      the basis of peoples response to this message that they are separated
      as Jesus describes in Matthew 25:31-46. Acceptance of and obedience
      results in salvation; rejection and disobedience bring destruction(1
      Peter 4:5,6,17;2 Thessalonians 1:6-8.) Declaring the good news is
      even more important than our present life as Jesus said at Mark
      8:35 "For whoever wants to save his soul will lose it; but whoever
      loses his soul for the sake of me and the good news will save it."

      Can we be a part of or support the world in some way? First
      notice what Paul stated at 2 Corinthians 4:3,4 "If, now, the good
      news we declare is in fact veiled, it is veiled among those who are
      perishing, among whom the god of this system of things has blinded
      the minds of the unbelievers, that the glorious good news about the
      Christ, who is the image of God, might not shine through." Compare
      this with what James wrote at James 4:4 "Adulteresses, do you not
      know that the friendship with the world means enmity with God?
      Whoever, therefore, wants to be a friend of the world is constituting
      himself an enemy of God." Did this apply only to time when it was
      written because the Romans were pagan and opposed to Jehovah?
      Revelation was also written during Roman times but notice what it
      said about that time and about the future. Revelation 17: 9-14
      mentions seven kings and an eighth king. In verse 10 it says that
      five have fallen, one is, and the other has not arrived. "kings"
      mentioned here are world powers and not individuals . The five that
      had fallen were: Egypt, Assyria, Babylon, Medo-Persia, and Greece.
      Rome was the sixth king, even though Rome was not ruled by a King. It
      then said that there would be a seventh king and then all the kings
      (ten being a number of completeness) would rule together as an eighth
      king. So it is evident that the world would continue after Roman
      times and what Jesus said about his disciples being taken out of the
      world and being no part of the world would also apply after Roman
      times. That is also what Revelation indicates as again I would point
      out that at 12:9 it says that Satan is misleading the entire
      inhabited earth, not just parts that do not claim to be Christian,
      and at 19:17-21 the destruction of the wicked is described as being
      not only of the Kings of the entire inhabited earth which were
      mentioned also at 16:14, but also military commanders, strong men,
      freemen as well as slaves and of small ones and great.

      2) How did Jesus conquer the world and what does this mean
      for his disciples? (Gods Word) Romans 12:2 "Don't become like the
      people of this world. Instead, change the way you think. Then you
      will always be able to determine what God really wants-what is good,
      pleasing, and perfect." (Darby) Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to
      this world, but be transformed by the renewing of [your] mind, that
      ye may prove what [is] the good and acceptable and perfect will of
      God." One version which I like on this verse but have not been able
      to find renders it as "Do not let the world squeeze you into it's
      mold." Jesus conquered the world by not becoming like it, or a part
      of it. Temptation, and persecution brought on him by Satan and his
      human agents failed to break his integrity and loyalty to God.
      Hebrews 5:7-9 "In the days of his flesh [Christ] offered up
      supplications and also petitions to the One who was able to save him
      out of death, with strong outcries and tears, and he was favorable
      heard for his godly fear. Although he was a Son, he learned obedience
      from the things he suffered; and after he had been made perfect he
      became responsible for everlasting salvation to all those obeying
      him,"

      What does this mean for his disciples? 1 John 5:3-4 says "For
      this is what the love of God means, that we observe his commandments;
      and yet his commandments are not burdensome, because everything that
      has been born from God conquers the world. And this is the conquest
      that has conquered the world, our faith." Our faith conquers the
      world by keeping us separate from it because our goals, conduct, and
      our loyalty conforms to God's will and what is right in his eyes.
      (Gods Word) 1 Peter 2:11 "Dear friends, since you are foreigners and
      temporary residents in the world, I'm encouraging you to keep away
      from the desires of your corrupt nature. These desires constantly
      attack you." Gods Word) 1 Peter 2:12 "Live decent lives among
      unbelievers. Then, although they ridicule you as if you were doing
      wrong while they are watching you do good things, they will praise
      God on the day he comes to help you." This view of ourselves is
      similar to the example of Jehovah's ancient witnesses . Hebrews 11:13-
      16"13 In faith all these died, although they did not get the
      [fulfillment of the] promises, but they saw them afar off and
      welcomed them and publicly declared that they were strangers and
      temporary residents in the land. 14 For those who say such things
      give evidence that they are earnestly seeking a place of their own.
      15 And yet, if they had indeed kept remembering that [place] from
      which they had gone forth, they would have had opportunity to return.
      16 But now they are reaching out for a better [place], that is, one
      belonging to heaven. Hence God is not ashamed of them, to be called
      upon as their God, for he has made a city ready for them."

      Jesus spoke of two roads at Matthew 7:13-14. It is not possible to be
      on both at the same time. We can not walk with God and run with the
      world. As Paul stated it we can not eat at the table of Jehovah and
      the table of demons.
    • tik_of_totg
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6, 2008
        Very good post, Charlie!

           I have seen the question, "Since we live in the world, how is it even possible to be 'no part of the world'?"

           Thanks for showing how the Greek word "ko'smos" ("world") can mean: "mankind
        apart from Jehovah's approved servants" and the scriptural examples outlining this.

        --- In JWquestions-and_answers@yahoogroups.com, "a_measured_brush" <bambootiger@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > 16"13 In faith all these died, although they did not get the
        > [fulfillment of the] promises, but they saw them afar off and
        > welcomed them and publicly declared that they were strangers and
        > temporary residents in the land. 14 For those who say such things
        > give evidence that they are earnestly seeking a place of their own.
        > 15 And yet, if they had indeed kept remembering that [place] from
        > which they had gone forth, they would have had opportunity to return.
        > 16 But now they are reaching out for a better [place], that is, one
        > belonging to heaven. Hence God is not ashamed of them, to be called
        > upon as their God, for he has made a city ready for them."
        >
        > Jesus spoke of two roads at Matthew 7:13-14. It is not possible to be
        > on both at the same time. We can not walk with God and run with the
        > world. As Paul stated it we can not eat at the table of Jehovah and

      • a_measured_brush
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 6, 2008
          Thank you Tik. It is an old message I put together some time ago, but I
          posted it because I thought that it went well with the question Serena
          raised about obeying the laws of the secular goverment. Basically we
          are as law abiding as we can be, but as citizens of God's Kingdom our
          first allegeince belong to Christ our King. In the meantime, until that
          kingdom has removed all of Satan's system and those who side with him,
          we are aliens and temporary residents.