In what sense was man created in God's image?

  • a_measured_brush
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2008

      One question that comes up on occasion is "In what sense is man created in God's Image?" Let's begin with our key scripture:

       (Genesis 1:26-27) 26 And God went on to say: "Let us make man in our image, according to our likeness, and let them have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and the domestic animals and all the earth and every moving animal that is moving upon the earth." 27 And God proceeded to create the man in his image, in God's image he created him; male and female he created them.

      As for who God was talking to consider the following three scriptures:

      (Proverbs 8:30-31) 30 then I came to be beside him as a master worker, and I came to be the one he was specially fond of day by day, I being glad before him all the time, 31 being glad at the productive land of his earth, and the things I was fond of were with the sons of men.

      Compare:

      (John 1:1-3) 1 In [the] beginning the Word was, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god. 2 This one was in [the] beginning with God. 3 All things came into existence through him, and apart from him not even one thing came into existence. What has come into existence

      and

      (Colossians 1:15-17) 15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation; 16 because by means of him all [other] things were created in the heavens and upon the earth, the things visible and the things invisible, no matter whether they are thrones or lordships or governments or authorities. All [other] things have been created through him and for him. 17 Also, he is before all [other] things and by means of him all [other] things were made to exist,

       The Scriptures do  not say "my image" or "his image", but  "our image" and "our likeness". At this point we can say that if the words "image" and "likeness" were literal then it would mean that not only Adam and God looked alike but also that at least one other person in heaven did also. However this is not the only meaning of "image":

      NOUN:1. A reproduction of the form of a person or object, especially a sculptured likeness. 2. Physics An optically formed duplicate, counterpart, or other representative reproduction of an object, especially an optical reproduction formed by a lens or mirror. 3. One that closely or exactly resembles another; a double: He is the image of his uncle. 4a. The opinion or concept of something that is held by the public. b. The character projected to the public, as by a person or institution, especially as interpreted by the mass media. 5. A personification of something specified: That child is the image of good health. 6. A mental picture of something not real or present. 7a. A vivid description or representation. b. A figure of speech, especially a metaphor or simile. c. A concrete representation, as in art, literature, or music, that is expressive or evocative of something else: night as an image of death. 8. Mathematics A set of values of a function corresponding to a particular subset of a domain. 9. Computer Science An exact replica of the contents of a storage device, such as a hard disk, stored on a second storage device, such as a network server. 10. Obsolete An apparition.

      What all of these definitions have in common is that an "image" represents someone or something else. This representation can be a literal visual one, or it can be a non visual and symbolic one to some degree. This is similar with the word "likeness" since one definition is : "3. A pictorial, graphic, or sculptured representation of something; an image."

      Look, for a moment, at Daniel chapter 2.

      ." 32 As regards that image, its head was of good gold, its breasts and its arms were of silver, its belly and its thighs were of copper, 33 its legs were of iron, its feet were partly of iron and partly of molded clay."

      If you consider the entire chapter of Daniel there, and compare it with other scriptures in the Bible then you can see that the "image" of Daniel chapter 2 was a pictorial representation of a succession of world powers. Since it was an image of those governments does it mean that it is what those governments looked like? No, it isn't. In Daniel chapter 7 those same governments are pictured as a succession of beasts. So in the Bible an image can be, and often is, a symbolic representation of identifying characteristics. So man, in a similar manner, represents the important characteristics of God, which sets man apart from all other physical creation.

      Now at this point notice that the Bible does not say that Adam alone was created in God's Image, as if this referred to what God literally and personally looked like. What the Bible says is that Man was made "in God's image"; he was a "son of God." (Lu 3:38) but not just the one man:

      (Genesis 9:6) 6 Anyone shedding man's blood, by man will his own blood be shed, for in God's image he made man.

      "Man" here is used in the general sense and is referring to what we usually call "mankind", just as in this scripture:

      (Genesis 5:2) 2 Male and female he created them. After that he blessed them and called their name Man in the day of their being created.

       As to the form or shape of God's body, "at no time has anyone beheld God." (1Jo 4:12) No one on earth knows what God's glorious, heavenly, spiritual body looks like, so we cannot liken man's body to God's body. "God is a Spirit."—Joh 4:24.

      Deuteronomy 4:15-20 shows that God's form is not known by men, so there is no need for men to try to represent it by any earthly creature.

      (Deuteronomy 4:15-20) 15 "And YOU must take good care of YOUR souls, because YOU did not see any form on the day of Jehovah's speaking to YOU in Ho´reb out of the middle of the fire, 16 that YOU may not act ruinously and may not really make for yourselves a carved image, the form of any symbol, the representation of male or female, 17 the representation of any beast that is in the earth, the representation of any winged bird that flies in the heavens, 18 the representation of anything moving on the ground, the representation of any fish that is in the waters under the earth; 19 and that you may not raise your eyes to the heavens and indeed see the sun and the moon and the stars, all the army of the heavens, and actually get seduced and bow down to them and serve them, which Jehovah your God has apportioned to all the peoples under the whole heavens. 20 But YOU are the ones Jehovah took that he might bring YOU out of the iron furnace, out of Egypt, to become a people of private ownership to him as at this day.

      See also Isaiah 40:18, 25.

      (Isaiah 40:18) 18 And to whom can YOU people liken God, and what likeness can YOU put alongside him?

      (Isaiah 40:25) 25 "But to whom can YOU people liken me so that I should be made his equal?" says the Holy One. . .

      Consider next what the Greek scriptures say:

      To try to represent the Creator in the form of visible man or other earthly creation, rather than glorify him as the invisible and almighty God, is foolish, as Paul shows: "Although they knew God, they did not glorify him as God nor did they thank him, but they became empty-headed in their reasonings and their unintelligent heart became darkened. Although asserting they were wise, they became foolish and turned the glory of the incorruptible God into something like the image of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed creatures and creeping things."—Rom. 1:21-23, NW.

      Furthermore Paul wrote: "`The first man Adam became a living soul.' The last Adam [Christ] became a life-giving spirit. And just as we have borne the image of the one made of dust, we shall bear also the image of the heavenly one." (1 Cor. 15:45, 49, NW

      From this it is apparent that the image of Adam was not the same as the image of the resurrected Christ, a spirit creature. The appearance of Christ resurrected as a spirit creature was unknown to Christians. They knew he was in God's "express image", or "the exact representation of his very being", but they did not consider that "express image" or "exact representation" to be in the form of man, which was known to them. They also knew that eventually they would see God and be like him, whenever they would be raised as spirit creatures to reign with Christ:

      "Beloved ones, now we are children of God, but as yet it has not been made manifest what we shall be. We do know that whenever he is made manifest we shall be like him, because we shall see him just as he is."—Heb. 1:3; 1 John 3:2, NW.

      From all this it is clear that the writers of the Christian Greek Scriptures did not consider the form of men to be the same as God's form or as the resurrected Christ's form. Hence it seems certain that when Jehovah said to the Logos (Christ's title before becoming a man on earth), "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness," he was not referring to any literal form or appearance. The Logos underwent great change to be made into man's likeness.

      (Philippians 2:7) 7 No, but he emptied himself and took a slave's form and came to be in the likeness of men.

      So, let me ask this question: "How could it be that Jesus "came to be in the likeness of men" when he came to earth if he already was in the case that man was created in his likeness, since he was one person of the "our" mentioned in Genesis 1:26?"

       Man was made in their image and likeness in that as Jehovah's attributes are justice, love, wisdom and power, so man was created with these same attributes, which set him apart from all other earthly forms of life and equip him to exercise dominion over them and to visibly represent Jehovah on earth. Since the divine attributes are also possessed by the Logos, the Creator could rightly speak of such things to the Logos as "our image" and "our likeness".

      (Colossians 3:10) 10 and clothe yourselves with the new [personality], which through accurate knowledge is being made new according to the image of the One who created it,

       He also has powers and wisdom above those of animals, so that he can appreciate the things that God enjoys and appreciates, such as beauty and the arts, speaking, reasoning, and similar processes of the mind and heart of which the animals are not capable. Moreover, man is capable of spirituality, of knowing and having communication with God.

      (1 Corinthians 2:11-16) 11 For who among men knows the things of a man except the spirit of man that is in him? So, too, no one has come to know the things of God, except the spirit of God. 12 Now we received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is from God, that we might know the things that have been kindly given us by God. 13 These things we also speak, not with words taught by human wisdom, but with those taught by [the] spirit, as we combine spiritual [matters] with spiritual [words]. 14 But a physical man does not receive the things of the spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot get to know [them], because they are examined spiritually. 15 However, the spiritual man examines indeed all things, but he himself is not examined by any man. 16 For "who has come to know the mind of Jehovah, that he may instruct him?" But we do have the mind of Christ.

      (Hebrews 12:9) 9 Furthermore, we used to have fathers who were of our flesh to discipline us, and we used to give them respect. Shall we not much more subject ourselves to the Father of our spiritual life and live?

       For such reasons man was qualified to be God's representative and to have in subjection the forms of creature life in the skies, on the earth, and in the sea.

      Woman, too, was created with these qualities. However, her position is different from that of the man. The Bible tells us: "[Man] is God's image and glory; but the woman is man's glory." (1 Cor. 11:7) But why does not this text say that the woman also is God's "image"?

      It should be remembered that man was created first and for some time was alone, being in God's image by himself. The woman was made from the man and was to be subject to the man. The woman's position thus is one that cannot reflect God's position of headship toward his creatures, and it is this matter of headship that is discussed in 1 Corinthians chapter 11. Jehovah God is not subject to anyone. Unlike the woman, the man does not have an earthly head over him when it comes to matters relating to his wife and children. Hence in this respect he alone is "God's image." In other respects, of course, the woman shares with the man in reflecting the admirable and lovable qualities of God.

      The fact that the woman is subject to the man does not degrade her. This is seen from the fact that she is said to be "man's glory." Someone who is degraded and low, whether man or woman, cannot serve as a real glory to anyone. But one having a dignified standing, one noted for fine conduct and admirable qualities, definitely is a credit or glory to one's associates.

      As "man's glory" the woman can and should elevate and enhance the more responsible position of the man as "God's image and glory." Her husband should be able to praise her like the capable wife mentioned in the Bible book of Proverbs: "There are many daughters that have shown capableness, but you—you have ascended above them all."—Prov. 31:29.

      While ancient society in general degraded women the Bible view stands out as far different. Men and women dressed differently and otherwise had different roles in society, for that is because the family was considered to be team effort. Though the Bible refers to a wife as being "owned" by a husband, it also less frequently speaks of a husband as being "owned" by his wife, and though God's law in ancient times allowed a man to have more that one wife, it never commanded this, and it never even encouraged this practice. Jesus himself re-established god's original standard of "one husband and one wife": equal though different partners, complements of each other.

      Well, I have gone off the subject a bit, these comments are not exhaustive of everything I could write on this subject, but I hope that it is sufficient to explain my own viewpoint from the Bible.

                                                                         Charlie

    • tik_of_totg
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2008
        Hi Charlie!

           Good research, very informative.

           It is really encouraging to see how all of the scriptures harmonize so well with each other. It truly provides a solid, unshakable basis for our faith.

           Just a side-note that I would like to add concerning this subject:

           One dictionary describes "Image" as:

           "a physical likeness or representation of a person, animal, or thing."

           Since any image is a "likeness" or a "representation", it can never fully equate to the subject that it was originally taken from. Therefore, an image can never be equal to the original. So when Jesus is called, "the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation" in Col. 1:15, the scripture is actually describing how Jesus cannot possibly be God, despite Triniatian's desires.

        --- In JWquestions-and_answers@yahoogroups.com, "a_measured_brush" <bambootiger@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > While ancient society in general degraded women the Bible view stands
        > out as far different. Men and women dressed differently and otherwise
        > had different roles in society, for that is because the family was
        > considered to be team effort. Though the Bible refers to a wife as being
        > "owned" by a husband, it also less frequently speaks of a husband as
        > being "owned" by his wife, and though God's law in ancient times allowed
        > a man to have more that one wife, it never commanded this, and it never
        > even encouraged this practice. Jesus himself re-established god's
        > original standard of "one husband and one wife": equal though different
        > partners, complements of each other.
        >
        > Well, I have gone off the subject a bit, these comments are not
        > exhaustive of everything I could write on this subject, but I hope that
        > it is sufficient to explain my own viewpoint from the Bible.

      • tik_of_totg
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 28, 2008

            Again, I would like to say what an excellent post this is Charlie!

             I would also like to add concerning our key scripture:

             Trinitarians claim that the words "us" and "our" in Gen. 1:26 is a direct reference to the three persons of their Triune God. And yet I find it interesting that they do not commonly refer to their Triune God as "They," and "Them" themselves.

             It is also interesting that if God really referred to HIMSELF in this
          single instance as "us" and "our", then one should wonder why the REST OF THE
          BIBLE overwhelmingly identifies God by the SINGULAR person pronouns "I,"
          and "Me," and "He," and "Him".

             The Bible describes Jesus as being the "the firstborn of all creation"...he was the first one directly created by God. And then, "because by means of him all [other] things were created in the heavens and upon the earth". (Col. 1:15-17)

             Also, many commentaries suggest that God could also have been speaking with His created angels who were in existence before the creation of the earth. (Job 38:4-7) So because of this, it is apparent that God was speaking to the Son and/or the angels. This, of course does not make any of those God spoke to "equally God."

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 28, 2008
               This was forwarded to me and I enjoyed it so much that I would like to share it with all of you:

            Subject: Jehovah's Image
            Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 17:35:11 -0600

            MALACHI 3:3 says: "He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver..."

            This verse puzzled some during a book study, and they wondered what this statement meant about the character and nature of Jehovah. One sister offered to find out about the process of refining silver and get back to the group at the next book study.

            That week, the sister called a silversmith and made an appointment to watch him at work. She didn't mention anything about the reason for her interest, beyond her curiosity about the process of refining silver.

            As she watched the silversmith, he held a piece of silver over the fire and let it heat up. He explained that in refining silver, one needed to hold the silver in the middle of the fire where the flames were hottest so as to burn away all of the impurities.

            The sister thought about Jehovah holding us in such a 'hot spot,' and
            then she thought again about the verse that says 'He sits as a refiner
            and purifier of silver.'

            She asked the silversmith if it was true that he had to sit there in front of the fire the whole time the silver was being refined. He answered yes, he not only had to sit there holding the silver, but he had to keep his eyes on the silver the entire time it was in the fire. If the silver was left a moment too long in the flames, it would be destroyed.

            The sister was silent for a moment, then she asked the silversmith, How do you know when the silver is fully refined?"

            He smiled and said "Oh, that's easy -- when I see my image in it."

            If, today, you are feeling the 'heat of the fire' of Satan's persecution...remember that Jehovah has his eye constantly on you, and will keep watching you until He sees His image in you.

            Right now, this very moment, some dear brother or sister needs to know that Jehovah himself is watching over them. And, whatever they're going through, He will be vindicated, if they remain faithful.
            Agape