Re: 2 pet. 3:10

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 13, 2007

      In Bible times, the most thorough means of destruction in use was fire. (Jos 6:24; De 13:16) So this is fitting when Jesus used the term "fire" in an illustrative way to portray the complete destruction of the wicked. (Mt 13:40-42, 49, 50)

      The Flood of Noah's day didn't destroy the literal heavens and earth...only the ungodly ones. So when Peter wrote about "the heavens and the earth that are now are stored up for fire" (2 Pet. 3:7), he was writing about the permanent destruction for the ungodly and the wicked system of things of which they are a part.

      Larry's comment is worth notice. Scientists admit that we are still coming out of our last Ice Age which is presumably caused by our Sun's irregularities over the course of thousands of years. The noticed current warming up of our neigboring planet Mars just lends more evidence to this.

      A.J. Duff mentioned volcanos. It is interesting that when Mt. Pinatubo erupted and spewed large amounts of material into the atmosphere in 1991, it is estimated that global temperatures dropped 1-2 degrees.

      Whether today's perception of "Global Warming" is actually happening or not, or whether it is actually man-made or not, one thing is certain: Jehovah has a purpose for the earth and has intended for it to remain "forever". (Ps. 104:5) Also, Jehovah has assured us that and that He will "bring to ruin those ruining the earth" whether the ruining is being done on a local level or a global one. (Rev. 11:16)