Re: Luke 12:42

  • teddy_trueblood
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 9 12:19 PM

      The word translated "discreet" in the NWT is 'phronimos' and, according to W.E. Vine, means "prudent, sensible, practically wise." - p. 1234, An Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words, 1983.

      'Discreet' is defined in 'Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary' as "possessed of or showing discernment or good judgment in conduct and esp. in speech; prudent; circumspect." - G. & C. Merriam Co., 1953 .

      So, the NWT's use of "discreet" is appropriate for this NT Greek word.

      Any JW calling at your door is able to get an NWT for sincere seekers of truth.

      --- In JWquestions-and_answers@yahoogroups.com, "sronald34" <sronald34@...> wrote:

      > I am having a problem with the word "discreet" as applied to
      > the "faithful and discreet slave". In my study of God's word I use the
      > NIV and the NLT which I have, as well as the New World Translation on
      > line. I am always more comfortable with the new world translation.
      > However I have learned that to be discreet means to be able to keep a
      > secret. I am wondering if that is what Jesus had in mind at Luke 12:42.
      > Most translations use the word "wise" and some use "prudent" which
      > seems to be more fitting. Where can I purchase a New World Translation?
      > Thank you.
      > Ron

    • Monika Vos Van Zalinge

          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 10 7:17 AM
            Thanks for your respons and this info. Makes sense and I've learned something today.

            The word translated "discreet" in the NWT is 'phronimos' and, according to W.E. Vine, means "prudent, sensible, practically wise." - p. 1234, An Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words, 1983.

            'Discreet' is defined in 'Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary' as "possessed of or showing discernment or good judgment in conduct and esp. in speech; prudent; circumspect. " - G. & C. Merriam Co., 1953 .

            So, the NWT's use of "discreet" is appropriate for this NT Greek word.

            Any JW calling at your door is able to get an NWT for sincere seekers of truth.

            --- In JWquestions- and_answers@ yahoogroups. com, "sronald34" <sronald34@.. .> wrote:

            > I am having a problem with the word "discreet" as applied to
            > the "faithful and discreet slave". In my study of God's word I use the
            > NIV and the NLT which I have, as well as the New World Translation on
            > line. I am always more comfortable with the new world translation.
            > However I have learned that to be discreet means to be able to keep a
            > secret. I am wondering if that is what Jesus had in mind at Luke 12:42.
            > Most translations use the word "wise" and some use "prudent" which
            > seems to be more fitting. Where can I purchase a New World Translation?
            > Thank you.
            > Ron
          • A.J. Duff
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 10 12:10 PM
              20 Miles?

              WOW, I suppose you're not in any city

              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 10 5:01 PM
                Dont be surprised. In doing seldom worked territory this summer, the congregation we visited was the only one in the county and the next two counties had no congregations. The closest was over 20 miles away and the next about 60 miles away, after that it was about 100 miles. This is not uncommon in most parts of the country, where the popluation is scattered, such as Kansas, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Texas,  just to name a few..

                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 10 10:46 PM
                  Basically the happiest I have ever been in my life was when I was
                  studying. I am not a wittness, but I did study with my good friend
                  for a long time. I have never stopped believing, but due the fact
                  that my husband is, for lack of a better word, an unpracticing "main
                  stream christian", he was not very pleased with my decision to open
                  communications with "JW"'s. When I started studying my husband
                  suddenly was very interested in the bible, but not as a form of
                  worship,I don't know what I am trying to convey.

                  He was fine with it when I was just studying, and even with me
                  believing what I learned, but oh boy when I took that ever so scary
                  step of putting these new beliefs into practice, It was Normandy all
                  over again. *grins* My family reacted in a simular fashion. So I
                  went back into plato's cave, so to speak, to live in a world more
                  familiar and unaggitating, but of course not following what I believe
                  to be true is taking its toll on me daily. I truely believe that if
                  I studied my husband would leave me, and I do not have his permission
                  either. I thought, on several occations, about "sneaking around"
                  studying, but I can only imagin the spiritual implications of that. I
                  am sure that the only advice here would be any of the following:

                  Your duty is to God first and then to your husband, but ultimately
                  you have to make that decision.

                  Try to talk to your husband and let him know that just because you
                  don't believe the same, doesn' tmean you don't love him.

                  And probably not to study in secret.

                  Probably because these are the answers Jehovah is whispering to me.
                  All I know is that I am afraid, alone, and unsure. I am scared out
                  of my mind of this world, and that is because in a way, I have chosen
                  to be alone, outside the protection of Jehovah.

                  Thank you for listening, and all that might reply.

                  ps. I aware that my spelling/grammer are horrible, and I apologize,
                  but I have finals tomorrow in concepts of proffessional nursing, and
                  my mind is mush.

                  Sincerely,

                  Jaren
                • Solomon
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 11 1:11 PM
                    By "studying in secret," I presume you mean with someone else. It
                    would be unreasonable of anyone to restrict your reading of the Holy
                    Bible and personal study.

                    Use the time to draw closer to Jehovah in meditation, and prayer. Be
                    specific in your prayers, pray for your husband's understanding and
                    for God to keep you strong so that you can serve Him as best you can
                    under the circumstances. (Philippians 4:6, 7; 1 Peter 5:6, 7)

                    Never feel that you are alone. Your heavenly Father is with you and
                    cares for you. And the Lord Jesus Christ has drawn you to Him. With
                    the love of Jehovah God and Jesus Christ, you can endure until things
                    get better.

                    Sometimes it takes a long time for things to get better. But
                    the "tested quality of your faith" will turn out well for you. (James
                    1:2, 2; 1 Peter 1:7)

                    Kind regards,

                    Solomon

                    --- In JWquestions-and_answers@yahoogroups.com, "Jaren"
                    <blu3bay0u@...> wrote:

                    > Basically the happiest I have ever been in my life was when I was
                    > studying. I am not a wittness, but I did study with my good friend
                    > for a long time. I have never stopped believing, but due the fact
                    > that my husband is, for lack of a better word, an
                    unpracticing "main
                    > stream christian", he was not very pleased with my decision to open
                    > communications with "JW"'s. When I started studying my husband
                    > suddenly was very interested in the bible, but not as a form of
                    > worship,I don't know what I am trying to convey.
                    >
                    > He was fine with it when I was just studying, and even with me
                    > believing what I learned, but oh boy when I took that ever so scary
                    > step of putting these new beliefs into practice, It was Normandy
                    all
                    > over again. *grins* My family reacted in a simular fashion. So I
                    > went back into plato's cave, so to speak, to live in a world more
                    > familiar and unaggitating, but of course not following what I
                    believe
                    > to be true is taking its toll on me daily. I truely believe that
                    if
                    > I studied my husband would leave me, and I do not have his
                    permission
                    > either. I thought, on several occations, about "sneaking around"
                    > studying, but I can only imagin the spiritual implications of that.
                    > am sure that the only advice here would be any of the following:
                    >
                    > Your duty is to God first and then to your husband, but ultimately
                    > you have to make that decision.
                    >
                    > Try to talk to your husband and let him know that just because you
                    > don't believe the same, doesn' tmean you don't love him.
                    >
                    > And probably not to study in secret.
                    >
                    > Probably because these are the answers Jehovah is whispering to
                    me.
                    > All I know is that I am afraid, alone, and unsure. I am scared out
                    > of my mind of this world, and that is because in a way, I have
                    chosen
                    > to be alone, outside the protection of Jehovah.
                    >

                    > Thank you for listening, and all that might reply.
                    >
                    > ps. I aware that my spelling/grammer are horrible, and I apologize,
                    > but I have finals tomorrow in concepts of proffessional nursing,
                    and
                    > my mind is mush.
                    >

                    > Sincerely,
                    >

                    > Jaren

                  • Ronald Smith
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 11 3:27 PM
                      Not surprised down here. It's a nice quiet community and we're trying to find our way around although we are only here to pass the winter months. It's 20 miles to one city, 25 to another and 30 to another. Thanks.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 11 5:53 PM
                        Hi,

                        You are in a difficult position. However don't let your fears drive you. In the vast majority of cases like yours the hubby (or wife) does not leave. They threaten to do so, thinking the threat is enough. When that is tested, they get angry, threaten some more, pout and generally become a pain in the nether regions. BUT they stay and get over it and many times start to study themselves.

                        If you do not take a firm stand they will think it is not important at all to have such a study.

                        Pray to God, strengthen yourself and study.You have a family of believers in the local congregation and here to help and encourage you. You are not alone.

                        Now to strengthen your self you may need to study 'secretly" for a bit, or you may not. That is a personal decision.

                        Jaren <blu3bay0u@...> wrote:
[...]

                      • willie bernal
                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 11 7:46 PM
                          Any belief that can destroy or damage a relationship is not part of God's plan. Putting God first does not necessarily defined to be giving priority to your belief. If I may quote from the Dalai Lama "Imagine all people";
                          "Look at children. Of course they may quarrel, but generally speaking they do not harbor ill feelings as much or as long as adults do. Most adults have the advantage of education over children, but what is the use of an education if they show a big smile while hiding negative feelings deep inside? Children don't usually act in such a manner. If they feel angry with someone, they express it, and then it is finished. They can still play with that person the following day."
                          Basically, Jesus also preached us that unless we cannot adopt the thinking of child we cannot enter the kingdom.This problem always occur when we start to believe what we study. People learned so much we forgot the basic which is "Love". A new form of order is being instigated by our studies leaving as hating our old practices. Each and everyone of us is undergoing a process wherein the bottomline is to serve and love God. Some people ends in prison before learning about God. Perhaps it is God's way when you open communications with the "JW's"; for you to learn and apply what you learned in connection with your family affairs.
                          We need to accept that the concept of Religion is to create a New Order among their followers hoping to adopt this order into the whole World. Basically, No Religion would abandon the teaching of Love which is the essence in all Religion. Without Love no Religion would exist.
                          Though Religion can guide us of the basic's; sad to say the basic is simple " Think like a Child". That's the reason why we were happy during our school days. We stop being a Child after studying.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 12 9:36 AM
                            Hi Jaren!

                               The 11/1/88 Watchtower Article: "When Marital Peace Is Threatened" had some good, practical information concerning situations like yours. Below are a few, selected excerpts:

                            Paul's Inspired Counsel

                            8 Stress is laid on preserving a marriage even if only one mate is a believer. Paul wrote: "If...a woman who has an unbelieving husband, and yet he is agreeable to dwelling with her, let her not leave her husband. . . . But if the unbelieving one proceeds to depart, let him depart; a brother or a sister is not in servitude under such circumstances, but God has called you to peace. For, wife, how do you know but that you will save your husband? Or, husband, how do you know but that you will save your wife?" (1 Corinthians 7:12-16) If the unbeliever chooses to depart, the Christian will let him go. But the believer, hoping that the unbeliever may be won over to Christianity, will not initiate the breakup. Timothy's mother, Eunice, apparently stayed with her unbelieving husband but imparted spiritual instruction to her son.—2 Timothy 1:5; 3:14, 15.

                            In Divided Households

                            20

                            Being reasonable aids in resolving marital problems between Christian mates. (Philippians 4:5) But reasonableness is also important if peace is threatened in a religiously divided household. If an unbelieving husband tries to prevent his Christian wife from serving Jehovah, she may endeavor to reason with him, tactfully pointing out that she accords him religious freedom and she should logically receive similar treatment. (Matthew 7:12) Though she is to be in relative subjection to her unbelieving husband, God's will must be done where there is a conflict. (1 Corinthians 11:3; Acts 5:29) Surely, attending Christian meetings three times a week is not excessive. But the believing wife may find it wise to be at home on other evenings and to schedule much of her field ministry during hours when her husband is working and the children are in school. With reasonableness and good planning, she need not "give up in doing what is fine."—Galatians 6:9.

                            21

                            Reasonableness extends to other matters too. For example, a person has a right to practice a certain religion. But it would be reasonable and wise for a Christian wife not to place her Bibles and Bible study aids where a strongly opposed husband might object. Conflict may be avoided if such publications are kept among her personal effects and she studies them privately. Of course, she must not compromise on righteous principles.—Matthew 10:16.

                               There are many fine articles from the Official Jehovah's Witnesses Web Site that contain helpful, scriptural advice concerning many aspects of marital situations. The following link leads to these catagorized subjects that link to these articles:

                            --- In JWquestions-and_answers@yahoogroups.com, "Jaren" <blu3bay0u@...> wrote:

                            > Basically the happiest I have ever been in my life was when I was
                            > studying. I am not a wittness, but I did study with my good friend
                            > for a long time. I have never stopped believing, but due the fact
                            > that my husband is, for lack of a better word, an unpracticing "main
                            > stream christian", he was not very pleased with my decision to open
                            > communications with "JW"'s. When I started studying my husband
                            > suddenly was very interested in the bible, but not as a form of
                            > worship,I don't know what I am trying to convey.
                            >
                            > He was fine with it when I was just studying, and even with me
                            > believing what I learned, but oh boy when I took that ever so scary
                            > step of putting these new beliefs into practice, It was Normandy all
                            > over again. *grins* My family reacted in a simular fashion. So I
                            > went back into plato's cave, so to speak, to live in a world more
                            > familiar and unaggitating, but of course not following what I believe
                            > to be true is taking its toll on me daily. I truely believe that if
                            > I studied my husband would leave me, and I do not have his permission
                            > either. I thought, on several occations, about "sneaking around"
                            > studying, but I can only imagin the spiritual implications of that. I
                            > am sure that the only advice here would be any of the following:
                            >
                            > Your duty is to God first and then to your husband, but ultimately
                            > you have to make that decision.
                            >
                            > Try to talk to your husband and let him know that just because you
                            > don't believe the same, doesn' tmean you don't love him.
                            >
                            > And probably not to study in secret.
                            >
                            > Probably because these are the answers Jehovah is whispering to me.
                            > All I know is that I am afraid, alone, and unsure. I am scared out
                            > of my mind of this world, and that is because in a way, I have chosen
                            > to be alone, outside the protection of Jehovah.
                            >

                            > Thank you for listening, and all that might reply.
                            >
                            > ps. I aware that my spelling/grammer are horrible, and I apologize,
                            > but I have finals tomorrow in concepts of proffessional nursing, and
                            > my mind is mush.
                            >

                            > Sincerely,
                            >

                            > Jaren

                          • geri elmer
                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 12 10:28 AM
                              How would you like to pass the winter months in Rhode Island? Ha ha...

                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 12 11:44 AM
                                Grazie Non Mi!  You can keep Rhode I. ;)

                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 12 12:56 PM

                                  Hi Geri!

                                  Sounds cold to me!

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Dec 12 1:44 PM
                                    Rhode Island, I have spent some time there in the summer. Our winters in Northeastern N.Y. are more than enough for me thanks.