Re: [JWquestions-and_answers] Sin

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 4, 2007
      You are correct about all sin leading t death IF we do not repent.  The verse says:

      1 John 5:16 If anyone catches sight of his brother sinning a sin that does not incur death, he will ask, and he will give life to him, yes, to those not sinning so as to incur death. There is a sin that does incur death. It is concerning that sin that I do not tell him to make request. 17 All unrighteousness is sin; and yet there is a sin that does not incur death.

      The referenced verses to the "does incur death" is:

      (Matthew 12:31) “On this account I say to YOU, Every sort of sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the spirit will not be forgiven.

      (Mark 3:29) However, whoever blasphemes against the holy spirit has no forgiveness forever, but is guilty of everlasting sin.”

      (Luke 12:10) And everyone that says a word against the Son of man, it will be forgiven him; but he that blasphemes against the holy spirit will not be forgiven it.

      (Hebrews 6:6) but who have fallen away, to revive them again to repentance, because they impale the Son of God afresh for themselves and expose him to public shame.

      (Hebrews 10:26) For if we practice sin willfully after having received the accurate knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice for sins left,

      In each case it is speaking of believers, who have received the Holy Spirit and still CHOSE to sin and not repent. Ths also would include apostasy as that is a rejection of the leading of the spirit. The easiest way to explain that "sin" is to describe it as any sin committed by a believer, that they do NOT repent of.

      sronald34 <sronald34@...> wrote:
      Could someone explain the meaning of 1 John 5:16&17? I am confused
      about a sin that does not lead to death. Doesn't all sin, without
      repentance, lead to death? Thanks

    • Larry Harmon

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 5, 2007

              Hi.

              1 John 5:16, 17 evidently refers to willful, knowing sin in speaking of "a sin that does incur death" as contrasted with one that does not. Numbers 15:30 corresponds with this well:

              "`But the soul that does something deliberately, whether he is a native or an alien resident, he speaking abusively of Jehovah, in that case that soul must be cut off from among his people."

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 6, 2007

                On the subject of sin, I would like to address the subject where some have wondered how it was possible for Adam and Eve to sin if they were perfect.

                Jehovah pronounced His earthly creation, including man and woman, to be "very good". (Gen. 1:31) This means that it (they) must have measured up to His perfect standards.

                But does perfection require that Adam and Eve be unable to do wrong?

                Here is the key: God gave humans and angels the ability to choose between right and wrong, between obeying and disobeying, to make moral decisions. Since this is the way humans were designed, not having this ability to make such decisions is what would have indicated imperfection. Since this is the way humans were designed, not having this ability to make such decisions would not have made them perfect. (Notice the wording "choose" in Deuteronomy 30:19, 20; Joshua 24:15.)

                Although created perfect, their physical bodies would not continue to function perfectly if not provided with proper food. Likewise, if they let the mind feed on wrong thoughts, this would cause moral deterioration, unholiness. James 1:14, 15 explains: "Each one is tried by being drawn out and enticed by his own desire. Then the desire, when it has become fertile, gives birth to sin."

                --- In JWquestions-and_answers@yahoogroups.com, Paul Leonard <anotherpaul2001@...> wrote:

                > Then it wouldn't be a sin against the Holy Spirit.
                >
                > It is the heart condition that determines if one repents. The length of time is immaterial. Very rarely does someone commit a serious sin, deserving of death, and instantly repent and turn about. David being a good example as well as King Mannasseh. Both committed terrible sins. Judas on the other hand sinned as a thief and a betrayer. No repentance occurred. It does not appear that it is any particular sin, just the heart attitude about it.
                >
                > Larry Harmon lgharmon2@... wrote: "In each case it is speaking of believers, who have received the Holy Spirit and still CHOSE to sin and not repent. Ths also would include apostasy as that is a rejection of the leading of the spirit. The easiest way to explain that "sin" is to describe it as any sin committed by a believer, that they do NOT repent of."
                >
                > How about if it takes a period of time to repent, but repentance is genuine and sincere?
                >

                > Paul Leonard anotherpaul2001@... wrote:
                > You are correct about all sin leading t death IF we do not repent. The verse says:
                >
                > 1 John 5:16 If anyone catches sight of his brother sinning a sin that does not incur death, he will ask, and he will give life to him, yes, to those not sinning so as to incur death. There is a sin that does incur death. It is concerning that sin that I do not tell him to make request. 17 All unrighteousness is sin; and yet there is a sin that does not incur death.
                >
                > The referenced verses to the "does incur death" is:
                >
                > (Matthew 12:31) "On this account I say to YOU, Every sort of sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the spirit will not be forgiven.
                >
                > (Mark 3:29) However, whoever blasphemes against the holy spirit has no forgiveness forever, but is guilty of everlasting sin."
                >
                > (Luke 12:10) And everyone that says a word against the Son of man, it will be forgiven him; but he that blasphemes against the holy spirit will not be forgiven it.
                >
                > (Hebrews 6:6) but who have fallen away, to revive them again to repentance, because they impale the Son of God afresh for themselves and expose him to public shame.
                >
                > (Hebrews 10:26) For if we practice sin willfully after having received the accurate knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice for sins left,
                >
                > In each case it is speaking of believers, who have received the Holy Spirit and still CHOSE to sin and not repent. Ths also would include apostasy as that is a rejection of the leading of the spirit. The easiest way to explain that "sin" is to describe it as any sin committed by a believer, that they do NOT repent of.
                >
                > sronald34 sronald34@... wrote:
                > Could someone explain the meaning of 1 John 5:16&17? I am confused
                > about a sin that does not lead to death. Doesn't all sin, without
                > repentance, lead to death? Thanks

              • public_message
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 10 3:06 PM