Drawing Class at L5P Community Center in our room

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 28, 2012
      This artist is renting our room at the community center for drawing
      classes. Feel free to sign up and share this info.

      Joyce

      Intro to Life Drawing
      Instructor: Mia Merlin
      http://www.miamerlin.com
      Email: mialeslie@...<http://us.mc1213.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=mialeslie@...>
      Phone: 404-606-3863
      When: Saturdays 10am-12pm
      January 5th - Feb 23rd (8 classes)
      Where: Little 5 Points Community Center Studio 202 (third floor)
      http://www.l5pcc.org/
      Cost: $200 plus model fee (to be determined after enrollment, but it should
      be minimal)

      *Objective*: This class will create a foundation for the aspects of drawing
      necessary to approach the figure with sophistication and accuracy. We will
      cover most of the concepts listed below which include various methods of
      analysis for organic forms and portraiture.

      Figure drawing is the most difficult drawing problem there is so our
      approach will be gradual and process oriented. Figure drawing is also both
      technically and aesthetically rich so it is an exciting subject to teach
      and learn!

      *Method*: People usually think drawing is something you are either good at
      or you are not. But like an athlete or a musician, skill development or
      mastery requires practice: concentration and repetition over a sustained
      period of time. I believe that anyone can improve their drawing ability
      greatly with practice and the desire to learn. Like any change of habit
      it may feel awkward at first and requires patience.

      My teaching method relies heavily on demonstration of specific strategies
      for problem solving. The tradition of drawing is rich with information to
      be shared on methods of how to see and translate what is seen.

      *Goals*: This class and its subsequent classes are designed to help
      students strengthen their foundation skills and portfolio for college
      applications. In addition to this goal, my goal in teaching any drawing
      class is to share how the practice of drawing is a truly rewarding and
      fulfilling activity. It uses your whole brain and your body as well. It
      slows you down and gives you a way to connect with what's around you in a
      way that is immediate and nuanced. It allows you to communicate in a new
      way. And drawing is also the mother of all the visual arts and will
      strengthen your abilities in whatever direction you want to grow.

      *Concepts to be covered:*
      The following concepts represent two distinct ways of thinking. Gesture
      and cross contour drawing tend toward the kinesthetic and intuitive modes,
      while the other concepts are more analytical. We will work toward
      understanding the differences between the two categories, and ultimately
      toward their syntheses and integration.

      * *

      *Staging:* Effective placement of the figure within the page--a simple
      form of composition.

      *Points and Areas of Support:* Those areas which bear the weight of the
      figure and give rise to gesture.

      *Gesture:* (primary and secondary): A line or series of lines that describe
      an intangible movement through the form, which serves to provide continuity
      and cohesion to tangible elements.

      *Cross contour:* Line as the expression of the path of one's vision across
      and around the edge of the form.

      *The Baroque "S" Curve:* Moving gesture across the form and through space.

      *Proportion:* Size relationships in the context of a particular point of
      view.

      *Linear perspective:* A form of *perspective* in drawing and painting in
      which parallel lines are represented as converging so as to give the
      illusion of depth and distance

      *The Underlying Bisymmetrical Forms:* The configurations of the pelvis, rib
      cage and skull.

      *Contra-Posto:* The tendency of the underlying bisymmetrical forms to
      articulate in counterbalance to each other.

      *Negative Shape:* The use of enclosed or partially enclosed negative shapes
      to revise and refine perceptions of form.

      *The emphasis will be on commitment to process as opposed to outcome: Its
      all about asking the right questions!*

      *Materials:*

      · 18"x 24" white drawing paper at least 50 sheets in a ring
      binder. NO NEWSPRINT!!

      · Drawing board big enough for your paper

      · charcoal pencils (medium to hard *not soft)*

      · erasers such as magic rub, pink pearl, or gum

      · a single edged razor blade or exacto knife for sharpening and a
      sharpener