[JUGGLING_GA] GHD ideas (long post)

  • LOVEuinCHAINS (bob)
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2001
      >Location so far is at Grady High School Girls Gym. Hours so far are 5-10
      >Fri, 10-10 Sat, 10-5 Sun.

      *******************
      *******************
      HAVING A SHOW ON ONE DAY ONLY...
      -SOMEBODY PICK A DAY
      *******************
      *******************

      >Should the "show" be on sat, or sun? Only one show means more juggle
      >time. I think lots of people will like the idea of more juggle time.
      > > Lets do a show-show on saturday (put all our efforts into one good
      >show)...

      > >We discussed dropping the Sunday 2pm show altogether this year. This
      >would be a big change, and may tick off an unruly mob of civilians who are
      >used to showing up for it. On the other hand, it would allow substantially
      >more juggling time on Sunday, when we're already short because we have to
      >close at 17:00. We so far haven't made a firm decision on this. I can see
      >advantages on either side.

      *******************
      *******************
      WORKSHOP:
      METHOD OF ACTION:
      *******************
      *******************

      >This was actually joyce's idea from last year (but I think having "only" a
      >workshop on sunday was not an option last year, and also the biggest reason
      >it fell through).

      >One big workshop, where you just show up (to stare, share, and compare...
      >teach or learn). And, this need not interfere with open gym juggling
      >(since the workshop could go on in the gym simultaneously with open
      >juggling).
      >bob

      I dont like the idea of different scheduled workshops (IE: passing at 2,
      balls at 3). Rather, I think we should announce
      "one-big-play-it-by-ear-WORKSHOP" (why beat around the bush). Someone make
      a decision (if, and which day). We tell people to check the "board, and as
      we get volunteers or requests for a workshop, we will add it to the board.
      All we need is a poster to write on and a marker (leave in the gym for all
      to see).

      I will volunteer (if no one else wants it) to do the club passing workshop
      (but I do hope someone wants to do it with me because its kinda hard to pass
      with myself). I will try to round up a few good passers for this time slot
      (whaterver the time is). Also, it would be good if we get someone who
      knows how to count (counting clubs confuses the shit out of me)...

      Most of us here are not exactly "world-class" jugglers (you know there will
      always be some teenager there that can juggle rings around you). But we
      can still organize workshops for the festival we host whatever our skill
      level (where that can mean trying to get the best talent there to help
      out... or do the workshop).

      bob

      *******************
      *******************
      MISC STUFF
      FOOD FOR THOUGHT
      *******************
      *******************

      While the show is going on, could we open the gym for juggling?

      >at (maybe a 15 foot isle parallel to the bleachers on the opposite end of
      >the gym),

      Folks could juggle on the far side of the gym, and give folks something more
      to look at. I realize the noise can be a problem, so...

      >There can be times during the show where the MC can ask for quiet, as in
      >all juggling stops (this way the

      >BTW: after the public show might be a good time for the 5-ball juggleoff.

      I think the juggle-off (and any other competition we might have) could add
      to the show from the public's perspective. Again half the gym on the side
      near the audience could be dedicated, and the other half for juggling.

      RE: THE USUAL "PACK" OF DISRUPTIVE KIDS:

      Dear MC, Please, make an announcement on this at the appropriate time. But
      as the posts below reflect... there should be some polite way to get the
      message across.

      >One thing that I saw as a problem last year were [a few] little kids [out
      >of many] that were turned loose like gremlins... I think after the pub show
      >(there were some that definitly needed supervision, but their parents were
      >no where to be found). I think an announcement before ending the public
      >show to parents on using common sense in not letting the little ones
      >disrupt the jugglers too much might help. If some kids become disruptive,
      >we should have some rule to quote when we ask them to tone it down
      >(example: basket-ball and juggling dont mix).

      >I don't see how we can allow juggling in the gym during the shows because
      >it would detract too much, but we could strive very hard to start the shows
      >on time. That would minimize the time that the gym is closed to juggling.

      >I agree... and just the threat of asking disruptive kids to go to the lobby
      >might be enough (its the death penalty after that). I think most of us
      >are ready to teach people to juggle, so we don't want to make people feel
      >like we want them to go away. Maybe, if the announcement were to just
      >tip-off parents not to let the kids run wild, which disrupts the juggling.

      NOT A PROBLEM ANYMORE:

      >One other thing that used to be a problem is the combat games (when they
      >took over the whole gym). I think they have boundaries now (which works
      >out great, since the rest of the gym is available to juggle in without
      >getting trampled on).

      PROGRAMs

      >I have a program from the Portland Juggling Festival that someone gave me.
      >It's simple, just several legal size copies folded together, but very nice
      >with a short article about the festival, schedule, workshops, gym rules,
      >door prize donors, local eateries, and a map. I would be glad to format a
      >few pages with Lisa's t-shirt logo on the front (with her permission) and
      >get them copied.

      Should we? Does anyone want to print up one, and get some copies. I
      believe we post this info in the gym, but maybe a flyer would be better.
      Put time & directions to the mid cabaret, gym hours, when and what is the
      show, workshop info (that says "see the board"), etc.

      Does someone have the leftover restaurant flyers from last year? I will
      make a newer better one if I can find the time, but I remember there being
      quite a few left over.

      >From: Charles Shapiro <Charles.Shapiro@...>
      >To: "'juggling_GA@egroups.com'" <juggling_GA@egroups.com>
      >Subject: RE: [JUGGLING_GA] groundhog - saturd sho
      >Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 07:14:27 -0800
      >
      >Having a workshop on Sunday is an interesting idea. It might keep the
      >hoards of 10-year-olds from running amok on the gym floor. Anyone willing
      >to lead such a thing? I'll gladly help out.
      >
      >Seems like a pretty good way to meet available civilians too, if you're not
      >already attached.
      >
      >-- CHS

      LAST YEARS DISCUSSION

      BELOW:

      Here are my comments (it may look like complaining to some... but this is
      not my intention... just to discuss, and improve any areas where we can).
      With the IJA dying, maybe our groundhog festival will grow.

      Bob

      I like the idea of having a few workshops repeat every year (like a club
      passing workshop, and another club tricks workshop... what else is there).
      I would not like to see so many workshops that the schedule becomes overly
      full. So, if something really special becomes available (flogger swinging
      maybe???), we can easily fit this last minute workshop in.

      >I meant "club swinging" above....

      I believe the non-juggling times during the public shows are excessive. As
      in the larger gathering of the IJA, there are those who would prefer to
      juggle during this time rather than watch the show. I know the free show
      brings in some money, but so do jugglers who pay to use the gym for juggling
      (some of whom are disappointed with the long non-juggle time). I guess an
      argument could be made that this is disrespectful of the show, or it might
      bleed away people from participating in the show, but the public would have
      something more to look at (maybe a 15 foot isle parallel to the bleachers on
      the opposite end of the gym), and those who wish to juggle could do so (why
      many attend the fest in the first place). There can be times during the
      show where the MC can ask for quie, as in all juggling stops (this way the
      gym would be available more hours for juggling... which are already at a
      premium since the public school system makes us close early). BTW: after
      the public show might be a good time for the 5-ball juggleoff. What are
      the pro's and con's here?

      One thing that I saw as a problem last year were [a few] little kids [out of
      many] that were turned loose like gremlins... I think after the pub show
      (there were some that definitly needed supervision, but their parents were
      no where to be found). I think an announcement before ending the public
      show to parents on using common sense in not letting the little ones disrupt
      the jugglers too much might help. If some kids become disruptive, we
      should have some rule to quote when we ask them to tone it down (example:
      basket-ball and juggling dont mix). Any comments?

      One other thing that used to be a problem is the combat games (when they
      took over the whole gym). I think they have boundaries now (which works
      out great, since the rest of the gym is available to juggle in without
      getting trampled on).

      >what about a few semi-organized group workshops and juggles?

      I like it.

      >Are there any rooms at the gym available or would we just have to use the
      >stage area and a corner of the gym?

      I like the idea of using a portion of the gym, or doing it on the stage
      (even if a room were available). I would rather see any workshops in the
      open view of the gym.

      >I know we usually have a few impromtu workshops at GH, but how about
      >listing a few on the web site beforehand this year?

      I dont know, but I thought this was a luck of the draw kind of thing, as in
      see who shows up that can/will lead a workshop. Im all for it if we can
      locate someone in advance and bill it as an extra, but we should avoid
      allowing this to become an expectation for every year (because of our
      limited resources).

      >I'm thinking workshops would be best on Friday night at 7, 8, and/or 9 PM
      >and Sat. at 11 AM and 4, 5, 7, 8 and/or 9 PM. On Sunday we could just have
      >a beginning juggling lesson after the public show. I'm not suggesting we
      >use all those time slots, they're just possibilities. A group juggle
      >and/or club feed and/or fire juggle at one or two of those times might be
      >fun. Then people could plan for it.

      ON THE ABOVE: Friday might not be good for a workshop because many people
      who drive in dont get here til sat. I like the idea of the begining
      juggling workshop after the pub shows (on both sat & sun... as long as the
      gym is still open for juggling). I feel the earliest workshop should be
      noon, and the latest should be 8PM (many people being from out of town want
      to go out somewhere during the evening.. and many stay out too late to get
      there for the early workshops).

      >I have a program from the Portland Juggling Festival that someone gave me.
      >It's simple, just several legal size copies folded together, but very nice
      >with a short article about the festival, schedule, workshops, gym rules,
      >door prize donors, local eateries, and a map. I would be glad to format a
      >few pages with Lisa's t-shirt logo on the front (with her permission) and
      >get them copied.

      Great idea (then we can argue about the flyer format LOL). But seriously,
      great idea.

      >Who has done the sheet of local eateries in the past? We could start with
      >that.

      I did the local eateries sheet... hopefully, I can improve it this year
      (I'll bring them on friday). Any personal referals on local restaurants
      would help (send to loveuinchains@...).

      >Not all jugglers are extroverts! Don't leave people in a situation where
      >they worry about annoying better jugglers about bringing them down a level
      >or two to juggle with them without an offer.

      I like the idea of a club passing (or tricks) workshop to be somewhat
      informal, where the participants "share" rather than depending on having a
      top juggler available (then we could just schedule it ahead of time... and
      make it an extra if we come up with someone really good to lead the
      workshop). I suspect some hot jugglers would be available to offer their
      help during these workshops. Where it might become "annoying" (as
      mentioned above) is for individuals to hound these people (hot jugglers)
      until they cant get their own practice in (workshops can provide a place for
      these people to teach several at once).

      >I don't see how we can allow juggling in the gym during the shows because
      >it would detract too much, but we could strive very hard to start the shows
      >on time. That would minimize the time that the gym is closed to juggling.

      We try that every year (start and stop the show on time... don't we?).
      What about on the stage, with the curtains closed. This might possibly
      work because this small space will only allow so many to juggle at once.

      >I think an announcement at the end of the competition and public show could
      >help here. Some people who come to those shows don't realize that the
      >jugglers have paid for their space and time in the gym. If all our AJA
      >members could be aware of the surroundings during this time after the
      >shows, we could politely ask any disruptive kids to wait in the lobby.

      I agree... and just the threat of asking disruptive kids to go to the lobby
      might be enough (its the death penalty after that). I think most of us are
      ready to teach people to juggle, so we don't want to make people feel like
      we want them to go away. Maybe, if the announcement were to just tip-off
      parents not to let the kids run wild, which disrupts the juggling.

      >The one thing we need to remember is not to clutter the festival to much
      >any workshop is going to take floor space, we are short of that already,
      >and time on the part of the workshop leader. I think part of charm of
      >Groundhog day is that workshops happen all the time all over the floor. If
      >you want a workshop on something ask the person who is doing whatever it
      >is. If you want to give a workshop help someone who looks like they need
      >it.

      If its available, the stage would be a great place for workshops (everyone
      could see, and one location for all to remember). Just asking someone
      works fine for many of us, but workshops are an opportunity fro many to
      learn from some of the best hotshots there. Also, beginner jugglers
      benefit from workshops (as I remember not so long ago how difficult it was
      to find someone to pass clubs with a beginner... come to think of it...
      still a problem... only get to do 7-club ult's about once a year). Bottom
      line on why I think workshops are a good idea, is because it gives the
      opportunity for many to learn from a few of the best there (without these
      workshops... the hotshot jugglers I think tend to shy away from having so
      many pursue them individually). However, I would not want to over-do the
      workshops either (to the point where it seems like work for all concerned).

      >That being said, I would not mind leading a large group passing pattern
      >about 5:00 on Saturday not a workshop per say just a, or groups, of more
      >than 4 people.

      I would be willing to facilitate an advanced club passing workshop
      (hopefully someone better will come along and let me off the hook).
      Believe me, some jugglers purpose for living is to break new ground in
      passing clubs. Maybe we could get Andy to do one on ring tricks (might as
      well have club and ball tricks in the same workshop). ANDY... are you on
      the list yet?

      JUST HAD AN IDEA!!!
      Since we dont want to overdo the workshops, lets have them all on saturday
      after the show and before dinner (most of them anyway). This way there
      would be some time to practice things learned.... and one time to remember
      to be there for the workshops.

      RE: WORKSHOPS:

      Are we going to do workshops (as joyce inquired about previously)?

      My suggestion is 3 workshops... after the SAT show... maybe 2 before dinner,
      and 1-after... would be easy to remember the workshop schedule... and it
      wouldn't be too many workshops to wear everyone out either.

      I think we should put these on ourselves and be "facilitators" (IE:
      encouraging the participants of the workshop to share their skills). An
      "announced" workshop will attract experienced folks... along with the not
      experienced, so facilitators have a good chance of making useful workshops.
      I suggest mentioning the workshops during the SAT show (we should have a
      schedule by then... EXAMPLE: clubs at 5PM... balls at 6PM... break for
      dinner... another class at 9PM).

      If anyone in charge wants these workshops, I am willing to facilitate the
      "club-workshop" (incl passing, tricks, etc... and anything else clubs
      depending on the skill of those attending the workshop). And, a potLuck
      workshop at 9PM... where misc things would be covered... like club
      swinging... club spinning... contact juggling... etc). Would only need one
      more person to do a third workshop (OR we could all share facilitating the
      workshops as a group)...

      Im open to ideas on the workshops... If this is a go... lets hammer out the
      details...

      Bob

      >Bob, I like your idea of three workshops on Saturday. How about it AJA
      >members -- can I put it on the web site for clubs at 5, balls at 6, potluck
      >at 9 (club swinging & spinning, contact juggling, diabolos, rings, etc.)?

      On second thought, maybe it would be better if we make the workshops at 5,
      6, and 7PM (as it allows food time after the show... and also leaves the
      evening open). The yo-yo people can join in one of our combo workshops...
      or do their own thing (and choose a separate time).

      COMBO-WORKSHOPS:
      An hour gives enough time to cover several bases (depending on the interests
      of those attending).

      Now, Im thinking:

      4PM (or right after the show)... I think charles is bringing the tennis
      balls for the truly beginner workshop (probably consisting of mostly the
      audiwnce after the show)...

      5PM beginner/intermediate juggling (beginner passing, rick: passing
      patterns, how to do more than 3-balls, etc)

      6PM advanced juggling (whatever we can get into... figure it out on the
      fly... Drewbob's rings, 4 & 5 club tricks if anyone shows up who can do
      them... ultimate passing patterns)

      7PM Pot Luck (diablos, yoyo, unicycle, clubswinging/spinning, contact
      juggling, etc)... this one can go into overtime if necessary.

      Even though a workshop might be titled beginner or advanced, we can expect
      all levels at any workshop, so a club workshop for example might break up
      into 2 or 3 groups, depending on ability.

      >I'll help with club swinging, Andreas said he'd do contact juggling, how
      >about club spinning, Patrick and diabolos, Rick and rings, DrewBob? We'll
      >need anyone who can help with the clubs and balls workshops.

      >Bruce, is a yo-yo workshop planned?

      Not sure if bruce is reading this?

      >Maybe that should be just after the contest & juggling competition on Sat.
      >along with a beginning juggling workshop (I'll bring some weighted tennis
      >balls and plastic grocery bags.)

      Yes... but check with charles on bringing the tennis balls...

      >Bob, did you say you'd do a flyer with eating places?

      Yes... I'll bring the restaurant flyer guide.

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2001
        I think we've all decided to do the competition on Saturday at 2 pm, cabaret
        at 11pm and no public show on Sunday. It's being advertised that way
        already...please no recount. One big workshop at 2 pm on Sunday sounds fine
        with me...maybe different small groups around the gym.

        Updates on who's coming: Jackie Erickson from Philadelphia is coming.
        Andreas is coming. Bill Giduz is bringing the tropies (he likes the t-shirt
        design). Greg Cohen is vending (Infinite Illusions). Anyone heard from
        others yet? I wrote to Ben at Serious Juggling but haven't heard back.

        I would like to see us have a flyer with a list of restaurants and a map to
        the cabaret location. Who has the one from last year?