Re: [JUGGLING_GA] Club passers ?

  • Justin Mullins
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 1, 2010
      I'd love to come out and pass, anybody want to do my structural analysis homework for me? it's always due on friday, you have a whole week to do it, must be easy right? : )

      I'll see if I can make it out there this thursday. Did you have something specific you wanted to do? I imagine we'll be the only 2 passing, or if you really feel like getting bold you could hop over to Tech one day and we could juggle over here. Always looking for someone to pass with, never have the time : (

      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 1, 2010
        To me the primary point of going to a juggling meeting is to pass clubs,
        you can juggle by yourself any time. In Seattle we have 4-10 club
        passers every week, 4 or 5 of which are of high skill levels. We do a
        lot of n-main passing patterns and some fairly complex 2-man passing.

        Charles; You have no excuse for not passing clubs at meetings. You have
        a juggling space at home and you can do your standard practicing there.
        You are correct that you will need to set aside the time on a
        non-juggling night to do that, I do.

        One of the main reasons there are so many club passers on the West Coast
        is the attitude toward teaching the skill;

        "I am happy to take the time to teach some one to pass clubs, because
        that is someone else to pass with."

        My suggestion to Bob is to not ask if there are any club passers that
        want to meet on Thursday night but, do has I did years ago, declare that
        he will be teaching club passing on Thursday nights.

        Bob: I know you do not like to teach. However, at this point it looks
        like would be easier to train someone from scratch, than finding someone
        who can already pass.

        Just my thoughts on the matter,
        Rick Purtee

        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 1, 2010
          When I am at meetings I pass clubs. When I am at home I practice.

          -- CHS

          On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 12:56 PM, Rick Purtee <rick_p@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > >

          > >> bobbler

          > >> @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
          > >

          > >> TO JOIN EMAIL ONLY, SEND BLANK EMAIL TO:
          > >
          > >> Juggling_GA-subscribe@yahoogroups.com<Juggling_GA-subscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
          > >
          > >> TO JOIN VIA WEB (YOU GET MORE OPTIONS):

          > >> TO EDIT EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION (or UN-SUBSCRIBE):
          > >
          > >> Http://www.YahooGroups.com/group/juggling_ga
          > >
          > >> TO UN_SUBSCRIBE, SEND BLANK EMAIL TO:

          > >> VISIT THE ATLANTA JUGGLERS ASSOCIATION web site:
          > >
          > >> Http://www.atlantajugglers.org
          > >
          > >> VISIT THE ATLANTA JUGGLERS ASSOCIATION TwIki page:
          > >
          > >> http://tomshiro.org/cgi-bin/twiki/view/AJA/WebHome
          > >
          > >> Yahoo! Groups Links

          > > TO EDIT EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION (or UN-SUBSCRIBE):
          > > Http://www.YahooGroups.com/group/juggling_ga
          > > TO UN_SUBSCRIBE, SEND BLANK EMAIL TO:
          > >
          > > VISIT THE ATLANTA JUGGLERS ASSOCIATION web site:
          > > Http://www.atlantajugglers.org
          > > VISIT THE ATLANTA JUGGLERS ASSOCIATION TwIki page:

        • Tidwell, Alan
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 1, 2010
            While lately my first inclination has been to work on 5 balls, 4 clubs or Kendama; if someone says "Hey Alan come pass clubs!" I probably will.
            While I'm certainly no expert, I can catch a fair amount of garbage and correct most of it. I'm there almost every Tuesday and Thursday.

            Alan

> [...]

            > >> TO JOIN EMAIL ONLY, SEND BLANK EMAIL TO:
            > >
            > >> Juggling_GA-subscribe@yahoogroups.com<Juggling_GA-subscribe%40yahoo
            > >> groups.com>
            > >
            > >> TO JOIN VIA WEB (YOU GET MORE OPTIONS):

            > >> TO EDIT EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION (or UN-SUBSCRIBE):
            > >
            > >> Http://www.YahooGroups.com/group/juggling_ga
            > >
            > >> TO UN_SUBSCRIBE, SEND BLANK EMAIL TO:

            > >> ahoogroups.com>
            > >

            > >> VISIT THE ATLANTA JUGGLERS ASSOCIATION web site:
            > >
            > >> Http://www.atlantajugglers.org
            > >
            > >> VISIT THE ATLANTA JUGGLERS ASSOCIATION TwIki page:
            > >
            > >> http://tomshiro.org/cgi-bin/twiki/view/AJA/WebHome
            > >
            > >> Yahoo! Groups Links

            > > TO EDIT EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION (or UN-SUBSCRIBE):
            > > Http://www.YahooGroups.com/group/juggling_ga
            > > TO UN_SUBSCRIBE, SEND BLANK EMAIL TO:
            > > hoogroups.com>
            > >
            > > VISIT THE ATLANTA JUGGLERS ASSOCIATION web site:
            > > Http://www.atlantajugglers.org
            > > VISIT THE ATLANTA JUGGLERS ASSOCIATION TwIki page:

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Justin Mullins
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 1, 2010
              someone had the red licked off their lolipop. . . jeez

              The problem is not that we don't try to teach people, it's that nobody wants to learn. My own girlfriend won't learn to juggle clubs, much less pass. You can't force someone to like juggling, if they don't like it they don't do it. We've even tried to start a club on campus multiple times, NOBODY comes to the meetings, if you can't get them there, you can't get them to learn.

              One of the reasons I stopped coming to club so much is that nobody can pass what I want to pass. yes, that is true, I don't want to teach every week. At the same time, I shouldn't have to!! I don't mind teaching, but if nobody practices at home, they will NOT get better. It's usually a waste of my time. When I want to work on 9 clubs, and double doubles, and everybody else is having trouble with a feed, it's extremely frustrating and I end up doing my own thing.

              I don't mean that as an insult to anybody that juggles. I understand people don't have the time to do it. I certainly don't have much time at all right now because of school, but if you don't have the basics down, there's no point in helping someone with passing.

              I would love to help someone with passing clubs. . . when they're ready to actually pass clubs.

              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 1, 2010
                Sigh. I *do* practice at home. In fact, I just finished doing just that.
                It's awfully hard to learn 9 clubs, 7 popcorn, double chocolate bar, et
                cetera by yourself.

                I concur with Mr. Mullins in general though, even though I make an effort
                and try to be patient.

                -- CHS

                On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 5:25 PM, Justin Mullins <rocketman5421@...>wrote:

> [...]
                >

                > >> TO JOIN VIA WEB (YOU GET MORE OPTIONS):

                > >> TO EDIT EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION (or UN-SUBSCRIBE):
                >

                > >> Http://www.YahooGroups.com/group/juggling_ga
                >

                > >> TO UN_SUBSCRIBE, SEND BLANK EMAIL TO:

                > >> VISIT THE ATLANTA JUGGLERS ASSOCIATION web site:
                >

                > >> Http://www.atlantajugglers.org
                >

                > >> VISIT THE ATLANTA JUGGLERS ASSOCIATION TwIki page:
                >

                > >> http://tomshiro.org/cgi-bin/twiki/view/AJA/WebHome
                >

                > >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                > > @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
                >

                > > TO JOIN EMAIL ONLY, SEND BLANK EMAIL TO:
                >
                > > Juggling_GA-subscribe@yahoogroups.com<Juggling_GA-subscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
                >
                > > TO JOIN VIA WEB (YOU GET MORE OPTIONS):

                > > TO EDIT EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION (or UN-SUBSCRIBE):
                >
                > > Http://www.YahooGroups.com/group/juggling_ga
                >
                > > TO UN_SUBSCRIBE, SEND BLANK EMAIL TO:

                > > VISIT THE ATLANTA JUGGLERS ASSOCIATION web site:
                >
                > > Http://www.atlantajugglers.org
                >
                > > VISIT THE ATLANTA JUGGLERS ASSOCIATION TwIki page:

              • Rick Purtee
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 1, 2010
                  Patience is the key to the whole thing. You cannot just advertise it
                  once and expect people to show up. You need to keep advertising it until
                  people show up. When trying to get our juggling meeting started on a new
                  night I would send an e-mail to the list about it and be there. There
                  where many nights I was there on my own. But, slowly they started coming.

                  Justin; I fully agree that I would much rather couch someone to the next
                  notch up, than start from scratch. However experience has shown me;
                  Teaching someone from scratch force you to practice your passing
                  fundamentals. Which is never a bad thing and at least you have some
                  basic practice in before you find else someone of your skill level,
                  rather than not having passed for months.
                  As to your girlfriend, give it up. From an old married guy, who's wife
                  learned to pass clubs, it is a fight you can not win.

                  Rick

                • Justin Mullins
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 1, 2010
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R85KYY1bnwY Never stop : P

> [...]

                    >> wrote:

                    >>> From: Charles Shapiro<hooterpincher@...<hooterpincher%40gmail.com>

                    >>> Subject: Re: [JUGGLING_GA] Club passers ?

                    >>> To: JUGGLING_GA@yahoogroups.com<JUGGLING_GA%40yahoogroups.com>

                    >>> Date: Thursday, September 30, 2010, 9:32 AM

                    >>> I've been known to pass clubs. But I show up Tuesdays, and lately

                    >>> it's even been a little spotty then.

                    >>> -- CHS

                    >>> @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

                    >>> TO JOIN EMAIL ONLY, SEND BLANK EMAIL TO:

                    >>> Juggling_GA-subscribe@yahoogroups.com<Juggling_GA-subscribe%40yahoogroups.com>

                    >>> TO JOIN VIA WEB (YOU GET MORE OPTIONS):

                    >>> TO EDIT EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION (or UN-SUBSCRIBE):

                    >>> Http://www.YahooGroups.com/group/juggling_ga

                    >>> TO UN_SUBSCRIBE, SEND BLANK EMAIL TO:

                    >>> VISIT THE ATLANTA JUGGLERS ASSOCIATION web site:

                    >>> Http://www.atlantajugglers.org

                    >>> VISIT THE ATLANTA JUGGLERS ASSOCIATION TwIki page:

                  • Robert McKee
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 1, 2010
                      Years ago when I used to show up every week, it did seem like new
                      juggling blood was hard to find.. It took a year or more to get
                      people to start coming to piedmont park on the weekends, then I
                      started working nights (just as it was starting to catch on).. In
                      retrospect, the piedmont park location could bring new blood, because
                      I remember jugglers that didnt make the meetings popping in (I suspect
                      when they get girlfriends, its harder to make the meetings with no
                      park around).. As for juggling clubs at the college, I am surprised
                      they never seem to have hundreds of people (only 10's of people)..
                      Perhaps the juggling club needs performer types to make people
                      interested.. Or perhaps the people are migrating to dancing (I know
                      tech has a large dance organization.. and they are at the age where
                      they have discovered "girls")..

                      bobbler

                    • Robert McKee
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 1, 2010
                        I got all the club passing I could handle, lol..
                        Surprise, jimmy showed up..

                        Rick, You know I usually end up teaching.. But I think the last time I
                        passed clubs was with you (I am getting out of practice juggling once
                        or twice a year for maybe 8 years now).. My thundershower still works
                        (unless jimmy was holding it up)..

                        Charles, I might be able to pop in on a TUE.. I will email you when I
                        think I can do a TUE (and vice versa).. I see my email until about
                        5:45 PM..

                        Allen, I can throw you garbage, LOL..

                        bobbler

                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 2, 2010
                          Anytime I am there, passing is what I want to do. It's just a long way for me to drive.

                          Dave

                        • Robert McKee
                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 4, 2010
                            Charles,

                            Might you be there TUE?
                            Whats a good em for you (do you monitor "hooter pincher")?

                            bob

                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 5, 2010
                              Yep, I'll be there this evening.

                              I read emails M-F on this address.

                              -- CHS

                              On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 2:32 AM, Robert McKee <bobbler@...> wrote:
                              > Charles,
                              >
                              > Might you be there TUE?
                              > Whats a good em for you  (do you monitor "hooter pincher")?
                              >
                              > bob
                              >

                              > On Sep 30, 2010, at 9:32 AM, Charles Shapiro wrote:
                              >
                              >> I've been known to pass clubs. But I show up Tuesdays, and lately
                              >> it's even been a little spotty then.
                              >>
                              >> -- CHS
                              >>
                              >> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 9:09 PM, Robert McKee
                              >> <bobbler@...> wrote:
                              >> > Any club passers out there?
                              >> > I have been coming by on THU's 630 - 745..
                              >> >
                              >> > bobbler

                              >> Marching

                              >> > TO EDIT EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION (or UN-SUBSCRIBE):
                              >> > Http://www.YahooGroups.com/group/juggling_ga
                              >> > TO UN_SUBSCRIBE, SEND BLANK EMAIL TO:
                              >> >
                              >> > VISIT THE ATLANTA JUGGLERS ASSOCIATION web site:
                              >> > Http://www.atlantajugglers.org
                              >> > VISIT THE ATLANTA JUGGLERS ASSOCIATION TwIki page:
                              >> > http://tomshiro.org/cgi-bin/twiki/view/AJA/WebHome
                              >> > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • bobblerft
                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 7, 2010