RE: [JUGGLING_GA] Gatech buzz bash party

  • Justin Mullins
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 29 5:44 PM
      I have been informed that they do have a budget for jugglers, I'm just not sure how much it is, they also mentioned that they prefer (but don't require) the money to go to student jugglers, but I think that's a load of garbage. They asked me what a fair compensation would be, and I feel bad to tell them that walkaround is about 100 bucks an hour, but isn't that the going rate these days? maybe 80 /hr since it's close by, and free food. I'm not asking for any compensation for myself, I feel like I want to be a part of the party, and I'll enjoy the free admission. . . is that wrong of me? : / hmm idk.

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 30 9:22 AM
        Justin,

        Don't feel bad. You're worth every penny and then some. Juggling and
        unicycling are highly specialized skills. I'll bet that other service
        providers are not volunteering--catering, tent rental, security, etc.

        Randy

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2009
          I agree with Randy. Don't do it for free. Just because you enjoy juggling
          and unicycling, that doesn't mean you shouldn't get paid for it! There are
          at least 4 GA Tech students/alumni in the AJA....you, Alan, Keith and
          Shawn. Find out how many of you can/want to juggle at the event and then
          ask for $$$ per hour per person and tell them it's a discounted rate since
          you're all GA Tech people. Consider getting into the event and food as
          added compensation. If you're getting paid to juggle, make sure you show up
          on time, dress well, and act professional. You've spent many hours
          practicing and developing your skills. You'll add lots of fun and visual
          interest to the party.

          What $$$ to ask for? That depends on your experience. If you've never
          worked for hire before, you wouldn't expect to start at top dollar. $50 an
          hour seems like a minimum to me. $100 an hour is what I've heard that lots
          of jugglers ask for walkaround. Ask whatever you feel comfortable with.
          You'll get better at negotiating prices with experience.

          Joyce